Quantcast

Stage 17 Spoilers

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
Floyd affect. I normally never see anyone else on a bike on my afternoon rides, today there were at least 20 other people on the road.
hey - whatever it takes to get people turning the cranks.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
SuspectDevice said:
Better, much, much better. This is the sort of epic badassery that legends are made of. This is how Chuck Norris would win the tour.

Lemond used fancy-pants technology to squeak it. If any squeaking occurs here in Paris it will have been made possible by a truly monstorous effort from a man who had appeared beaten and broken, and who has a necrotic hip. A man who once passed Gunnar Shogren and I on a climb at Snowshoe in a no handed wheelie playing delta blues on the harmonica.

Lemond can't even play the harmonica.
that's only funny to me b/c i know it's true. hahahhahahahha

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I just watched an interview of Frank Schlek on Velonews. When asked about letting Floyd get away he said, "We didn't let him get away......he's a f**king strong rider." :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
[snip]
Landis had a beer to relax on Wednesday evening (‘just one,’ he said) and came back out fighting to pull off that exploit. Lim has been doing daily updates for Bicycling during the race and thanks to Landis’ decision to allow his Powertap information to be published there, the data from his ride can be readily seen.

It makes for fascinating reading. When he made his move on the Col des Saisies he averaged 544 watts in the first thirty seconds of his acceleration. This settled down to a 5-minute peak of 451 watts, which then continued for 10 minutes at an average of power of 431 watts. His 30 minute average was 401 watts.

Precise measurements for the exploits of riders such as Coppi, Gaul, Merckx and Hinault are of course unavailable, but in this modern era the use of power meters – and the willingness of some riders such as Landis to share this information – means that we can get a clearer idea of what is happening under the bonnet.

Lim gives more details. “Floyd averaged 280 watts for the entire ride, but it was 318 for the last two hours. That is while the bike is moving, so you have take into account that he has all those long descents,” he said. “On the descents he spent 13.2 percent of his time or 43 minutes coasting. If you spend that much coasting but are as good a descender as he is, you are making up time on the descents as well.

"However, if we don’t include the coasting time, he averaged 324 watts while pedalling for the stage and 364 watts over the last two hours. That gave him a total of 5,456 Kjoules of work, at an average cadence of 89 rpm. The nature of it is that everything he did today is within the realms of physiological capacity. It was the style with which he did it, the panache and the bravado and the courage [which stood out].

"That is the thing about sport… there is nothing special about what each of us possesses except how we are going to showcase that to the world, how we can display that.”

Despite the outcome of the ride, Lim said that the outputs weren’t actually the best he has seen from Landis. Of course, two and a half weeks of racing will tend to have that effect.

"No, they weren’t the best. But you know what, it was ballsy. That is the thing. He has done better in training and he has done better at [individual] points during this Tour. But the thing is that he was so motivated and also that they didn’t chase. They let it go. He stuck it in their face and he got away with it.

[snip]

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/tour06/?id=/riders/2006/interviews/allenlim_landis2

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
to most of you that don't train with power or really understand it. let me just say i crapped my boxxers while reading that. holy ****.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
indieboy said:
to most of you that don't train with power or really understand it. let me just say i crapped my boxxers while reading that. holy ****.
I don't have a power trainer but have an altimeter. Simple calculations can tell me how much power I am putting into a climb when looking at my rate of climb. I can also guess at my power output in the flats by comparing my speeds while going downhill. I was really blown away by some of the power output and heart rate figures shown during the tour. I'd see the power output and think I could do that, but I'd be at 90% effort while those ****ers aren't even breathing heavy.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
gauging it on the flats is kinda on/off if you hadn't used a meter before.

to put things into a frame of mind i'll use my intervals from today as an example. the intervals are 4 minutes as physically hard as i can go for those 4 minutes. i'll do 4 of them.
for today my highest avg power for the 4 minute efforts was of course my first one. i put out 427 watts. the first 30 seconds of the effort my wattage was 850 watts, peaking out at 1335 watts.
now to be able to continue 400+ watts for another 5 minutes at this point isn't happening. that is a TON of power. i think a year from now it's very possible. and probably a year and a half before my threshold for 30 minutes is at 400 watts. however, doing all those together is rough. to go on further doing the type of output that he did continuing along the stage is unreal. i don't think any one member on this board would be able to do a 5000+ kj day and be able to walk the next day.