Quantcast

Stage 6- *spoilers*

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Guess we'll have a thread for each stage.

Boonen looked great at the end. Seemed to be in trouble for a bit, but pulled away. I'm glad to see he got the win.

Anyone see Vino's gesture near the end? Looked like he was going to give himself the ol' sign of the cross, but ended up giving himself the ol' "I'm dead" or "get that camera out of my face" across the neck. He looked bad. He's got to be one of the toughest guys in the peloton...but bandages on the arm, both knees, hand and probably further up the legs...doesn't look good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always been a Vino fan but was a bit down on him this year for being hyped as the champion elect. I'm rooting for him now. I hope he has some fireworks in his legs for later as I'm guessing he'll be doing his best just to hang on tomorrow.

It seems that when they interviewed any of the hopefulls they all seemed a bit tired. I can't help but to wonder if they might not actually be on the dope this year.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It will be tough for him to heal up in time to climb the Alps...if he even continues. I left him off my podium list this year because he had disappointed me too many years in a row. We'll see. I feel for him.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'll be pullin for Levi tomorrow, he seems to be okay. If disco is smart they'll hurt the peleton up the first few climbs like the days of old and then launch Levi up the last hill for the next 2 stages. Usually I'd say wait for the later Mtns, but now is the time to attack while Astana seems fried and CSC is likely a bit worn from defending Yellow. Not seen much from Valverde's squad though. I'll be watching them tomorrow.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'll be pullin for Levi tomorrow, he seems to be okay. If disco is smart they'll hurt the peleton up the first few climbs like the days of old and then launch Levi up the last hill for the next 2 stages. Usually I'd say wait for the later Mtns, but now is the time to attack while Astana seems fried and CSC is likely a bit worn from defending Yellow. Not seen much from Valverde's squad though. I'll be watching them tomorrow.
I agree, get the yellow as soon as possible.

Go Levi!

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I agree, get the yellow as soon as possible.

Go Levi!
The only yellow that matters is in Paris.

Does anyone else find the tour wierd this year, with no superstar the size of Lance, Floyd, or the Jan? This must be what it felt like in the year they asked Merckx to not come so someone else could win.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The only yellow that matters is in Paris.
spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate all the subtleties of the Tour.

Every sprint, every climb, every stage means something.

But if Disco wants to wear yellow in Paris, I think they need to get is ASAP and defend.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate all the subtleties of the Tour.

Every sprint, every climb, every stage means something.

But if Disco wants to wear yellow in Paris, I think they need to get is ASAP and defend.
Believe you me, I appreciate every single bit of the tour, but the simple fact of the matter is getting the yellow early is often bad. It puts stress and wears your team out defending it. Look back at all the years that Lance, Indurain, and all the other recent winners (Merckx doesn't count, he was a freaking animal), they all took the yellow late in the tour. And with the way Disco is beat up(one of thier guys went through the back of a car the other day), putting Levi 2nd or 3rd through these first mountains would be better than putting him in yellow. Not to mention, at this point in time, Hincapie is ahead of Levi in GC which makes him the field leader for his team. What I would do if I was Disco, is let Hincapie and Levi race these first mountians without worry of the yellow, and try and position themselves as high as they can, then after that, the strongest gets the support.

On a side note, I am happy to see some of the younger people doing well again this year, Axel Merckx and Voeckler are top 45, and within 2 minutes of the leader still, hope they keep it up through the mountains.