Quantcast

Stainless Steel DH Frame

VELOMECH

Chimp
Jun 15, 2012
I wasn't planning on letting this cat out of the bag yet, but since a picture of it already leaked out on the interwebs I might as well roll with it.

This frame (and a couple others) will be available first quarter 2013 from my burgeoning company - Oxide Cycles.

I'm pursuing a grant to jump start the company and hoping I might get a little help with that from you. More on that below...

As the title says, this bike is stainless steel. I wanted to explore several concepts with this frame:

Building with stainless was one, 29" wheels (I'm really tall. Smaller wheels will be an option for all you 29er haters) a jackshaft drive system that was cleaner and simpler than other examples I've seen and single speed.

photo.JPG

I'm stoked on how it turned out and the ride is sublime.

I'd like to share more images and details, but you are going to have to earn them! I need help with a financial grant being offered by Chase Bank and Living Social. It requires 250 'votes' to qualify and I have until the end of this month (June 2012) Right now I have half the votes done. Just need another 125.

Once I get to 250 votes I will post more pictures and details.

To vote, you need a facebook account and this link:

www.missionsmallbusiness.com

Click the big blue button on the right side of the start page labeled "Log in & Support"

Log in with your facebook info and then search for my business name: Velomech (you can easily find it without selecting a city and state, but if you want, I'm in Boise, Idaho)

At the bottom of the page click "VOTE"

Done. Easier than it sounds. Takes one minute.

Once I hit 250 I'll spill all the beans you want. If you are all a bunch of lazyass pot smokers that want your money for nothing and your pics for free and don't vote, then you get nothing more til 2013.

So cast them votes and if you don't have a facebook account (I applaud you) make one of your single friends (that thinks facebook will get him/her laid) log in and vote on your behalf.

Thanks!

-Alan

VELOMECH

Chimp
Jun 15, 2012
No one has mentioned any spam or unwanted emails, so I think you are safe. The whole gig runs through facebook, and you have to have a facebook account to vote, so you wouldn't be giving any contact info to anyone that doesn't already have it (facebook).
Pardon my ignorance, but will that grant company spam our FaceBook or some other sh!te?

VELOMECH

Chimp
Jun 15, 2012
Wheels, fork and bars are installed. The tires showed up yesterday, so those will go on this weekend. I had a whole bunch of work show up Friday, so I may not have time to do the brakes this weekend as I had hoped. Especially since I blew this whole morning ripping it up on the stainless bike. So fun. Time to get some work done now though...
Any more news on the Rotec refurb project?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
No one has mentioned any spam or unwanted emails, so I think you are safe. The whole gig runs through facebook, and you have to have a facebook account to vote, so you wouldn't be giving any contact info to anyone that doesn't already have it (facebook).
I voted anyway, so all good.

posted it on another forum and Crankins facebook page here in Oz too.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453583697985053&set=a.244458975564194.71739.241698995840192&type=1&theater
Don't forget to look after the little guy(26"for life), and the middle man(27.5" or are we going with the "Killer B" catch phrase?). Oh and the gearbox fanatic.
and the tandem rider, uni cyclist, kids bikes, circus bikes, tall bikes, BMX, Cruiser, Roadie, All MTN, Free ride, cyclo cross, postmans bike, delivery bike, fixie, ice cream bike, trails bike(20"24"26"), Type rope bike ................ ........... ........ ........... .......................

Last edited:

VELOMECH

Chimp
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for all the votes and comments.

I don't normally spend time on facebook or forums. It is purely a concession for the grant I'm applying for and the voting process they have set forth.

Keep in mind I have other projects in the works. The DH bike here was an outlet for concepts I want to explore, much like a show car from an auto manufacturer. I have no illusions of selling them in volume. The design has been configured to adapt to IGH hubs, derailleurs and the other two wheel sizes to make it more market friendly if I choose.

The grant monies I'm seeking will go towards a lineup of XC and all mountain products that better apply to the area cyclists. Sadly, the DH scene here is almost nonexistent. We do have some really fun DH trails, but you have to work at getting to them. But that is why road trips were invented!

Also, these frames are a house brand for a thriving local bike shop. As a stand alone business, it would be limited. But as a component of a larger operation it make sense. This grant is not for start ups. The business must be at least two years old (Velomech is in its fifth year) I'm just building on the success of the shop by providing a local frame option that will hopefully gain widespread appeal. Like Moots bikes for example.

Another benefit to developing this bike brand is the community involvement. We are setting up programs with the Boise State University Engineering Department. Our partnership with them will provide fun and interesting design challenges for the senior students. Hands on projects that will become a part of the production lineup. Most college students like bikes, and the enthusiasm for working on a real product (not something theoretical) makes for a huge boost in enthusiasm and engagement in the student.

The long term vision is to create engineering and manufacturing jobs in Boise so that when the students graduate they will have a local job option as well. Kind of a farm to table concept. The type of thing that builds healthy communities.

And if you are in Boise, stop by Velomech and check out the DH bike and the others that will be done soon.

Cheers,

-Alan

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
Not sure what tubes you are building with, but I'm having good results with my 200ksi heat treated martensitic stainless.
man, you should be making millions dude, you have found a material twice as strong as any other bike company! must be some kind of weird conspiracy how everyone else keeps saying alloy and carbon are better materials for frames...

...either that or your tensile testing machine needs to be re-calibrated ;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
man, you should be making millions dude, you have found a material twice as strong as any other bike company! must be some kind of weird conspiracy how everyone else keeps saying alloy and carbon are better materials for frames...

Do you homework
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Cycle_Technology

I see Reynolds is making a precipitation hardening tube now. I've used lots of 15-5 and 17-4 on many projects over the years and I've always thought it would make a rad bike tube.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
must be some kind of weird conspiracy how everyone else keeps saying alloy and carbon are better materials for frames...
Carbon is a great material for bikes. And although "conspiracy" is probably not the best choice of words. I think profit plays a very major part in the choice for aluminum use in the majority of cases. Sure for frames with complex CNCed sections, Aluminum is handy, but for all others, I'd prefer steel. and for those needing complex parts, Carbon.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008

Precipitation hardened SS has some fantastic strength and elongation numbers. The reason it's not used more for bicycles is that making a frame as light and stiff as an aluminium one requires very thin tubing and although those tubes will be stronger than their aluminium brothers, localised buckling will occur on tubing so thin=catastrophic failure.

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Vote number 212!

Alan, your project sounds and looks amazing. And your motives are great too. I hope all your wildest dreams come true... (tenuous voting / Idaho link there)

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about that awesome 29er rig you've built...how about a ride report! We don't get much feedback about 29er DH bikes around here, only speculation. There is a lot to like in that frame, and your execution is stunning - form and function working together beautifully.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Precipitation hardened SS has some fantastic strength and elongation numbers. The reason it's not used more for bicycles is that making a frame as light and stiff as an aluminium one requires very thin tubing and although those tubes will be stronger than their aluminium brothers, localised buckling will occur on tubing so thin=catastrophic failure.
Wasnt that the problem why the superco silencer didnt go into production right after proto?