Quantcast

Stairs, crashes and a fight w/ Ronald McD...a father son trip (heavy pics)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
After an insanely busy holiday season, i was finally able to take noah (Lil' Manimal) out for a full afternoon of riding...just the two of us :thumb:

we started out at Country Park (city ordained and co-built freeride park)

then he wante to hit some urban...his first true street ride and it was killer!
sporting the new hockey leg pads....best things ever!

bridge view of a sick 2-set stair thingy he was doing, came down a fast trail and flew over these like a pro. he never actually touched the stairs on the first set, landed flat and kept pedalling for the second set

on to another spot but he made me promise that we'd come back to the previous one before we left. steep stair set

another, "looks bigger than it feels" set of 3. i had to stand in the street for this one to make sure no cars were coming as the last step is about 3' from the road.

i even got to ride :D noah's filming debut

he tried a really steep and choppy brick 3 set and got squirrely at the bottom.
crash sequence 1

he cried for about 2 minutes and had a tiny strawberry just under his nose. i was thankful that he came out relatively unscathed considering how hard he went down. then he got back up and we went back to the spot i'd promised him we'd return to.

nightshot showing how he wasn't even touching the stairs. i can't wait to finish editing the video....he was hauling!!!

a cool little run w/ a bunch of small stair sets down a scenic trail. was really cool at night, especially at the speed he was traveling.

then, on the way home, my wife called and asked me to pick up a caramel sunday. on the way out of the drive-thru, ronald mcdonald flipped us the bird. so noah, being the protector of all that is gentlemen-like, jumped out of the car screaming "i know you didn't!!!" and began whooping the red-headed clown as only he can do.
first a strong right to the kisser

then a headlock with more punches from the right.

mr. McD won't be disturbing the peace any longer

sorry for the poor image quality, most shots are screen captures from camcorder.

parenthood rocks! :thumb: :D

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
good stuff... stoked for ya manimal/tubbs

please deliver that ronald mC doll to my house tongiht so i can get my quarter lb'er on....

your kid is good stuff... ride on mate !!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
yeah, it was pretty scary and the couple in the corner of the pic took it fairly well. they came over to watch him do after they caught the tail end of him hitting it the first time. they walked back by a few minutes later and were surprised to see him hitting another stair set.

did i mention that he loves to ride stairs ;)

i can't imagine what it must be like to do them on tiny 16" wheels with no suspension. it's rough enough with 26x2.5 tires and 7" travel.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:thumb:

It's stuff like this that makes me want to have a kid. Lil Manimal rocks! Can't wait for the next video!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
E

enkidu

Lil' Manimal flows so effortlessly. Great to see a father and a son enjoying the outdoor thrills together.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Man, when he is my age(16) that kid is going to be an amazing rider. Does he have racing in his future? Or is he going to be a "freerider"? My guess, if he races, pro by 18. Next Kyle Strait.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
i thought that he jumped the hole set and then did his face plant(ouch), but the vid makes it look a hole lot less painfull, any fall to the face is gona hurt though.

great to see you and noah shreading it agian.

manimal/tubbs/brandon, do you remember me? i am the kid with the silver s-works enduro that used to ride at country park(ryan phillips).

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
im pretty sure he does have one but its still a little bit too big

edit
yes the sounds he makes are FUNNY AS HELL...glad he wasnt hurt :thumb:

this kid is gonna make us all look like fools by the time he reaches double digit age

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
beestiboy said:
You might want to get him a full face helmet, i got a feeling that he could have a few more diggers in his future.

he's got one, but his head is so small he has a hard time seeing over the face guard plus, it's really heavy for him.

and yes, he started racing last year and loves it! i just hope he sticks w/ it.....hence the reason we're heading out to play soccer in a bit. don't want to push the riding thing, i want him to be the one to WANT to go ride.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow your kid progresses way too fast, why when i was his age i just wanted to beat up Grimace, he's already goin after the head clown.:monkey:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Brandon, I'm going to bring up one of Adam's old full faces for Noah next time.

After a Life-Flight ride and $19k hospital bill for Adam, he wears a full face if we're getting stupid.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Peete said:
Brandon, I'm going to bring up one of Adam's old full faces for Noah next time.

After a Life-Flight ride and $19k hospital bill for Adam, he wears a full face if we're getting stupid.
thanks, is it super small and fairly light? the one he has fits him on the inside but it's so heavy that he can barely hold his head up. i need to go looking at some MX shops for a lighter one since they're hard to find in the MTB scene.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
TreeSaw said:
I cringed and can't imagine what it was like to watch in person :eek: Props to him for getting right back on the bike though! :thumb:

it wasn't quite as nasty as this one was over a year ago.

it was the only crash that i've ever thrown down the camera for. it put a nice 1/2" deep dent in his helmet :eek: ever since he took that hard of a hit and got right back up, i've been a little less freaked out...but i still experience the "pucker factor" on most of them.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
manimal said:
it wasn't quite as nasty as this one was over a year ago.

it was the only crash that i've ever thrown down the camera for. it put a nice 1/2" deep dent in his helmet :eek: ever since he took that hard of a hit and got right back up, i've been a little less freaked out...but i still experience the "pucker factor" on most of them.
Oooooh...I think I remember seeing a pic of that before. I just hope I can deal with all of our little girls crashes without freaking out.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
awesome pics, awesome lil manimal riding... that fall looked bad glad to hear it wasnt so bad.. Mickey d's always helps soothe the pain

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
manimal said:
thanks, is it super small and fairly light? the one he has fits him on the inside but it's so heavy that he can barely hold his head up. i need to go looking at some MX shops for a lighter one since they're hard to find in the MTB scene.
Light? Moto helmet? Two mutually exclusive terms.
If we still have it, I believe it's an Answer M8.

Check a BMX shop for a Vigor or Answer. I know Vigor makes kids sizes.
http://www.vigorhelmets.com/x5.html