Quantcast

stairs

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Hey all, I just rode down my first full flight of stairs yesterday. :)
I've been working up to it, doing three or four steps at a time, and I was out at the highschool last night when I saw a full flight and knew I could do it.

I was so excited to make it down I got off my bike and jumped up and down! I'm taking my hubby back out tonight so I should get some pics.

Just wanted to share, mostly because husband is tired of hearing me talk about it! LOL! :)

It feels good to be making progress on the bike.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
awesome job

It took me for-****ing-ever to do stairs. Once i finally did it I couldn't believe how scared i had made myself over something so straightforward. pretty soon you'll be doing superman seat grabs off of ledges.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
laura said:
awesome job

It took me for-****ing-ever to do stairs. Once i finally did it I couldn't believe how scared i had made myself over something so straightforward. pretty soon you'll be doing superman seat grabs off of ledges.
It's funny how nervous I was, but when I made it down to the bottom something just "clicked" and I thought, no problem, I can do stairs now.

Must remember that-don't let brain get in the way of ability!

Stairs were never a problem for me really...Jumping off ledges that were 3-4ft talll scared me. I guess since Ive been on a mountain bike or BMX bike since I was a kid and jumping off curbs and down stairs and such..Im used to it. But such a good job and huge HUGE congrats!!!!!
Hey Laura...Will you teach me the superman seat grabs!?!?!!?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sunnerbeanmtb said:
Hey Laura...Will you teach me the superman seat grabs!?!?!!?

BWAAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaha. sure thing. i may have forgotten to mention that I am still afraid of really big stairs. :p

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Congrats!! Funny story, about 4 years ago I was in France on vacation and entered the Transvesubienne mtb race. The first day was a DH prologue race that started at the top of a ski resort lodge. It was raining like hell and cold. Apparently the start was a ride down a staircase and I had never ridden stairs before really. I took a look at the how steep they were, saw people slipping and sliding down them, watched the starter, "cinq, quatre, trois, deux, un" and then he'd give the rider a hefty shove down the steps. hahahahha - scared the crap outta me.

UGH France...must be nice.
That is so awesome

Going down stairs...not a problem for me
Gapping stairs...there is where it gets sticky.

Best advice I can give anyone cause it works for me in just about every sport... Pick a bad ass song or songs and make a little soundtrack in your head. Once you start singing to yourself and that beat and rhythmn kicks in, you will be so lost in the moment and your head that you wont even be thinking about the stuff you are doing. And that leads in to what everyone has always told me...dont think, just do.

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
Congrats Zoey!!!
I remember the first time I did a long flight of staris, my knees were totally shaking when I finished, I beamed for hours and my husband was so proud of me, he couldnt believe that I was starting to figure out freeriding.

Now its fun to go supoer fast and try and clear as many as possible!!!!:dancing:

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I went cruising the neighborhood yesterday looking for stairs to go down. :) Too fun! Now I need to practice my drops!

Doesnt it kill you seeing little kids do the stuff that you are terrified to do because with growing older youre sense of fear grew as well?

When I go out to snowboard in the winter and I see these 5 and 6 year old whipping out 360's and grabs I kick myself for letting my head stop my body from what it wants me to do!

And when I go out riding on my bike with my friends, they are all doing 180's and 360's on their bikes, manuals as far as the eye can see, ugh kills me. So jealous.

ok done ranting...sorry! haha

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Congrats on doing the stairs! Awesome job!

Gapping stairs is easier than you think. I think it's the best place to practice drops because if you don't clear the steps your suspension will soak it all up. Remember....speed, pull up and get your hands off your brakes! I bet you clear those stairs on your first try :)

Know I'm itching to do some more stairs. Funny thing is that I can clear stairs but when it comes to drops and gaps in races....I'd rather roll them if that option is available. Just don't want to chance messing up in a race.

Keep practicing!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Sometimes I wish I was a little girl just starting out; I'd do so many things differently!

8 year old girl going down stairs, hm? Cool. That's very cool

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
It took me a long time to do this one group of stairs - 4 sections of turning, steep stairs that went down to the creek that was on one of our XC trails. It might not have taken me so long to do them if one of our friends hadn't crashed on them when we were on a night ride one Winter evening and they were icy....

I have a hard time doing stuff that people have crashed on.

Now that I have my hardtail, they feel like hell to go down, but I refuse to go around.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Thanks! :)

What I'd like to know is, when folks are manualling down stairs, are they doing a manual jump or rolling them? I was thinking it might be similar to manualling over a curb, just an alternate way to do a drop.