Quantcast

Stanchion repair help

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So after losing my front brake today, I skidded into some rocks and gouged the hell out of my stanchion.

Searched, but can't find any info (likely due to the server change) on peoples' methods for repairing them. Anyone care to help me out? What grit sandpaper to use? Do you use a hard backing (block or dowel) on the paper when sanding, or just hold it with your hand? Do you apply nail polish before doing any work, or do you try to sand the rough edges off before filling the gouges?

Thanks.

MD

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
not sure what grit paper to use. i scratched my stachions and i can remember what grit it was but real low. wet the paper down and just have at it. it will take a long time. i found a good way to check if it was smooth enough is to use like a q-tip or cotton ball and go over it. if it snaggs keep it up. if i can find the grit # ill post it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Wouldn't the sandpaper be around 800-1000grit???...don't quote me on it though!!!!

1200-1500grit paper (wet with wd40) would be good for post-stanction repair to just polish everything out.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
SuperJ said:
take it to a moto shop
I tried that and they said they replace the stanchion, not fix it.

I tried JB Weld and sandpaper, but all I had was a small scratch so the JB Weld didn't take. I sanded down the burred edges of the scratch so it wouldn't cut the seal, and it's been fine.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, I tried it today, finally...clear nail polish and 2000 grit w/d paper. Worked pretty well as I can tell, but I doubt the longevity of the nail polish. We'll see how it holds up; I may try it again with epoxy if it doesn't work out.