Quantcast

Stancion Scratch Filler

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
So I sratched my stancion, not super bad that it requires a new stancions, but enough its noticable and you can feel it.I have been told Nailpolish or Superglue and to use wetted down emery cloth, a wet sanding technique. whats the best filler?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nail polish only works for a few runs or as a "oh sh*t, I gotta make it work for tomorrow" fix. It seems to fall out after a little bit. Epoxy or something similar that can be sanded down like above is the right way.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I did it last week and used Permatex liquid metal, it worked perfectly. After it dried I hit it with the wet/dry paper then used car cutting compound and polised it all aftewards, the forks feel really nice now.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I keep saying this. Bend it down with the round side on the shaft of a screw driver by rubbing the round side up and down over the scratch. So nothing sticks out. I have ridden with scratched for a long time and oil never got out and by bending everything in / smoothing out the surface it did not ruin the seal. Really try it before you go crazy with epoxy and sanding down anything.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^yeah, i've been fine going filler-less on my two current scratched longterm forks. just (very carefully) filed then wetsanded the burr / raised metal. actually jb welded the first fork, and the jb fell out about a yeah later. 3 years subsequently, the fork has been fine. the second fork has a deeper scratch, which i never filled, and has been fine.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Really try it before you go crazy with epoxy and sanding down anything.
epoxy / sanding fix takes no time at all. other than putting air in the tires and lube on the chain, it's probably one of the easiest maintenance jobs evah.