Quantcast

stand for hitch rack

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id like to use my T2 in the garage to store the bike. Has anyone seen a stand that you can mount your hitch rack to? I found this but they no longer make it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Surely for whatever that would cost to buy one could be made?
It was $65, but you cant find them and I emailed the company and they dont make them anymore. I dont have access to welder anymore or I would make one.

I have a small receiver that bolts into the wall that I use for my T2.

Kind of like this one but mine looks like an actual receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Boone-Outdoor-Rack-Mount-2-Inch/dp/B001IBHVN4
Where did you get yours?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The local machine shop could make that thing in less than an hour. Coolest adaptation I've ever seen was a guy here in NC who owned a business transporting TT & triathalon bikes across the country and providing tech support out of the back of a tractor trailer.

He had 2" receiver hitchs sticking out of the walls stacked two high front to back with Thule T2 3 bike hitch racks mounted in them. 5-10k carbon bikes ceiling to floor and not a one touching each other.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Ask your local bike shops. They may have some hitch rack display stands taking up space in storage.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Can you go with a wall-mount or would you rather have it portable? Wouldn't take much material at all to do a wall-mount. And Cd'A Metals here in Spokane has receiver socket blanks for under $10 I think. I could use one myself . . . might be willing to weld up two if you're interested. PM me.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Can you go with a wall-mount or would you rather have it portable? Wouldn't take much material at all to do a wall-mount. And Cd'A Metals here in Spokane has receiver socket blanks for under $10 I think. I could use one myself . . . might be willing to weld up two if you're interested. PM me.
A wall mount one might work but that is a ton of weight to have mounted to the wall. 4 bikes and the rack would weigh 250 lbs or so.

I did find this.
http://booneoutdoorhardware.com/dock.html

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Interesting. Seems like a fancied-up way to get people to part with their money, though. However, it is prettier than a receiver socket welded to a piece of ¼" plate stretched across a couple studs and anchored with six lag bolts.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Interesting. Seems like a fancied-up way to get people to part with their money, though. However, it is prettier than a receiver socket welded to a piece of ¼" plate stretched across a couple studs and anchored with six lag bolts.
Ya but the piece to the ground would help with weight a lot. A T2 with 4 bikes and all the leverage has to be a lot of weight.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
What is your take on the Boone Rack? Not too bad for $44. Its not portable, but it would work.
That one makes more sense than the tall one and is reasonable. I'd probably spend an hour or more out in the shop cutting out the pieces and welding up something similar.

I used to not mind spending a day welding up something I'd have to buy; but I'm smarter now in picking my battles. If it saves me $500, you bet; if it's under $100, I gotta think twice about my time.

Glad you brought this whole subject up, though - - I didn't think of my engine stand before and that gives me a great idea . . . .

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im going to order the shorter Boone stand. The only downfall is once I pick the spot, it has to stay there... unless I want more holes in the wall