Quantcast

Stander Wins African XC Title

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Burry Stander over the weekend once again showed that when it comes to cross country mountain biking he has no equal in Africa.</p><p>
</p><p>
The South African won the African Continental Championships on Saturday in Jonkershoek outside Stellenbosch. He completed the seven 4.2km laps in 1 hour, 42 minutes and 8 seconds.</p><p>
</p><p>
He demolished the field and in the end of the day the battle was for the silver medal. </p><p>
</p><p>
Namibian Marc Bassingthwaighte took second place in 1:48.08, while Philip Buys from South African took the final podium spot in 1:50.31.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The race started faster than expected. It was with the start of the single-track when the pace finally slowed down a bit and I got the lead," said Stander.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I didn't have to try and make it hard on the day, because it just was hard all the time. In the heat those who tried too hard would have paid. I suffered in the second lap and in the third I started to feel better again. You had to hold back about 10% the whole time."</p><p>
</p><p>
The one big climb of the day made life hard for the competitors. Some of the riders had to get of their bikes every time. Stander had his moments on the climb.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I stayed on the bike for four of the seven laps, but the other times I had to get off and walk," he said while laughing.</p><p>
</p><p>
It was important for Stander to win the African Champs, because the points earned in the coming months will be of great value come the Olympic Games in 2012 in London. </p><p>
"I had to get the points, because it will affect my starting position at the Games. I took no changes. I had extra spares and heavy tires."</p><p>
</p><p>
It was also Stander's first cross country race with his brand new Epic 29'er.</p><p>
</p><p>
"The 29'er was perfect for this track today. I got the bike during the week and the timing was perfect. With this bike you have a huge advantage because you just roll over the rocks. I think I have the perfect bike looking forward to the Cape Epic." </p><p>
</p><p>
Next on the calendar for Stander is the Grape Escape from 4 to 6 March. It is a three day stage race. The next Saturday (12 March) it is the South African Cross Country Championships also in Cape Town.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I will take it easy in the coming two weeks, but then I will be training hard for the coming races."</p>

More...