Quantcast

Standover instead of a seat

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
I keep seeing moto people go huge fmx and i thinks to myself. Dh riders don't sit down all that much. Seats are small and I often hit my ass on the tire. why not have a standover type of a deal that uses the seat post and covers the tt and some of the tyre. I'll work on a sketch tomorrow.

But i'm thinking that since you have alot of different bikes with different wheel paths that there could be two little stabilizer arms that move the last segment of the standover up and down depending on the wheel path.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
yea, kinda like that, but i would probably make it attach via a seat tube so that it is something you could drop on any bike. probably form fit it a little better then that. i would have it follow the top tube on that bike down a little more like a mototrials bike. and then curve more at the end.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
something like this. it would attach via a i beam seatpost so it could slid on a rail system so you could put it where you wanted. the front would wrap around the top tube and attach by some sort of sturdy ring going around the tt. the back end would have some flex to it but be capable of allowing a rider to land on it without cracking the end off.

Attachments

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
something like this. it would attach via a i beam seatpost so it could slid on a rail system so you could put it where you wanted. the front would wrap around the top tube and attach by some sort of sturdy ring going around the tt. the back end would have some flex to it but be capable of allowing a rider to land on it without cracking the end off.
heh, how long did that take you to draw in MS Paint?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Nice banana seat. The rear wheel is going to eat it.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
screw ms paint, i used illustrator on my mac. granted i drew it with a thumb pad so it sucks. everyone on here seems to have a boner about sundays so i figured i'd appeal to most people by using one. in green cause people seem to like that too. it does look rather banana esque but i think it would be used it someone came out with one that looked good.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I think this has been discussed before & the general consensus was that you really do end up sitting down more than you realize.

You might be able to sell one to Peaty though, he always seems to chuck his seat mid race run. :busted:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
In time you'll probably realise that you can make it smaller, lighter, stronger and more adjustable by making it the same as a conventional saddle...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
everyone on here seems to have a boner about sundays
You're right! I do have a boner for sundays!

But back to the point. Your idea, though it's not that bad, has no real practical use. A saddle and seatpost not only are lighter weight, they're also less cumbersom. If you want a real awakening, go try and ride your bike with no seatpost. You'll realize how odd it really is. Seats have more of a use than you might think. They're not just for sitting down. I seem to use mine a fair amount. I can definately notice if my saddle is nice and padded or if I'm running my plank of a saddle that I like to call a SDF I-fly. Not only are they used for support and sitting on, they're great for bruising your inner thigh and crushing your nads!

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Try riding with an Azonic loveseat, then switch to a road seat. The azonic is cumbersome and just gets in the way. The bike's much more maneuverable with a small seat

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
what iridebikes said u actually use them to maneuver/stabilize the bike a fair bit, or at least i do,

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Avanti tried it briefly. So did GT with the original gearbox proto,I think Vario had one also.
Big seats are good for getting up confidence on big drops and jumps as you have a big target to land on if you loose your feet,also for gripping with your legs,but the bonuses are outweighed by the weight and awkwardness of them.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
I think you'd find that a smaller conventional saddle would work better than a sofa. Like what the other guy said, go try love seat then a road saddle. If I did ride a seat like that, It'd better hold my coffee.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You're right! I do have a boner for sundays!

But back to the point. Your idea, though it's not that bad, has no real practical use. A saddle and seatpost not only are lighter weight, they're also less cumbersom. If you want a real awakening, go try and ride your bike with no seatpost. You'll realize how odd it really is. Seats have more of a use than you might think. They're not just for sitting down. I seem to use mine a fair amount. I can definately notice if my saddle is nice and padded or if I'm running my plank of a saddle that I like to call a SDF I-fly. Not only are they used for support and sitting on, they're great for bruising your inner thigh and crushing your nads!

There's alwayas the Azonic Sofa (love seat) or the 10' long Tigo DH; As for the bruised thighs - season 1 of dh had me looking like I got raped by a gorilla. oww...