Quantcast

stans no tubes conversion on DT swiss rims...

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice! I have heard that DT swiss rims convert really well using that stans no tubes conversion kit. But giving the sheer softness of DT swiss rims (i.e.) the 5.1 and sometimes the 6.1, does anyone have any experience or any input perhaps as to whether the rims will stay sealed even when you ding the rims...like say you if you get a ding in the rim, will the sealant come spraying out or will it keep its seal and allow the tubeless to continue to work in all its glory? Thanks to anyone who can help me out here....

cheers,

rayhaan :imstupid:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have run stans on 729s, 721s, and 5.1 over the past 4+ years. I have never had an issue with leaking/burping/non-sealing in that time... other than a single incident when I hit a 20cm cube of granite at full speed. That ruined both tires and did a job on both rims....but new tires, and all was fine.

The 5.1s are on my 'everything but DH' bike (and personally I would not run 5.1s on on my DH rig..they are NOT DH rims) and they are holding up fine. The VAST majority of soft rim issues I have heard of concern the 6.1 specifically...the profile of the 5.1 should be less prone to dents as well.

With the propper sized stans strip, the tire seals against the strip, on the inside diameter of the bead, so for the most part, the sidewall of the rim does not do the sealing, and can be pretty bent...as long as it holds the tire on, it should seal up (that has been my experience anyways).

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
hey davep,

thanks for the reply man, that's what I was thinking, but as I have no experience with DT swiss rims I wasn't entirely sure! cheers man!

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
I ran the Stans kit on a 5.1 on my hardtail, the rim got battered and bent but didn't lose any pressure at all, result.

I filmed a quick video of ed fitting a tubeless kit.