Quantcast

Stan's sealant and cold weather

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Anybody else experience problems with Stan's not sealing in cold weather?

I have gone out three times now in 30 degree weather. Two times I have had trouble with my rear tire going flat. From what I can tell I am rolling the tire and the sealant just does not want to seal. This same thing would happen in the summer but I would lose some air then everything would seal back up. I have added more sealant but it still happens.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the samething. I might go back to tubes for the cold weather.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
No problems on my end with it. Performs flawless in 23 degrees like this morning and 108 degrees in the summer. I just changed the sealant recently due to it being 9 mo's old.
Check the bead seal and make sure it's not full of decompossed rubber from the tire, this will happen over time.

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
I have had no issues. what tires are you using???? some tires are more poures than others and just do not work as well. I have using a 2.5 kenda tomac nevegal with wire bead.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am using Michelin UST DH24. It seals the tire fine. It is when you corner very hard and roll the tire on the rim that it does not seal like in the summer. Several times this summer I made it to the bottom of the hill and would see a 3" section of tire covered in sealant from when I rolled the tire. I would loose at most 5psi. In the cold twice now I have had this happen and I have lost almost all the air.

sk8kid33

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Colorado Springs
wehn setting it up do you put soapy water on the bead or stans?? because magazines say soapy water, but rubbing the sealent on the rim and tire bead makes the tire sort of stick to the rim. and i rolled mine off the rear when drifting in rocky corners and I am next gonna try rubber cementing it to he rim, it may work or it may not but if it works I will let you know.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I haven't had any of these problems at all. I had a quick burp when I first built them up and that was it.
I have a nevegal front and a maxxis minion rear, I also have a bus groove for the rear ad no problems. for the first while I'd get an occasional pop and his from the side wall till it sealed itself and not a problem since. I huck stairs and drops with alot of flat landings as well as ride a extremely rock DH run from the cellular towars on top of lewiston grade to the bottom and it's down right nasty, the rocks range from 3" to 8" and jagged all over.
Blew tires and tubes there alot until I went to Stans.
What sk8 said is a great idea of wetting the rim and side down with sealant, I use the sealant instead of soapy water to sesal it and soapy water for looking for leaks.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I do not use anything between the rim and tire, some stans seeps inbetween and I do get them to stick together. I do not have any problems with rocks and hits to the tire. It is cornering hard like sk8kid33 said and sideloading the tire. You are driftring and you stand on the outside pedal to get your tire to hook up and you feel the tire roll. Or just going deep into a corner and banking hard off a bump in the ground. You feel the tire roll when it hooks up. I have never had problems in the summer, but now in the cold weather I am noticing it.

FreerideHI

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Waimanalo,Hawaii
if it's over a couple months old, the latex "grains" will clump together there by decreasing the seal ability. if you take the tire off, and there's funky latex clumps, it's time to change out the liquid.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Anybody else experience problems with Stan's not sealing in cold weather?

I have gone out three times now in 30 degree weather. Two times I have had trouble with my rear tire going flat. From what I can tell I am rolling the tire and the sealant just does not want to seal. This same thing would happen in the summer but I would lose some air then everything would seal back up. I have added more sealant but it still happens.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the samething. I might go back to tubes for the cold weather.
I just got back from Pismo area, and i had the same issue everynight, bike was being kept inout campsite, and there would be sealant around the bead every morning and about ten pounds low on air, just put these tires on about two weeks ago, didnt have a lick of trouble before down here where it stays above70, but up there when it hit about 35 at night, i was loosing seal, nothing that was a huge deal, i check my air before everyride as it is, but still. Hope this helps