Quantcast

Stan's Valves Blow Chunks??

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Friend and I decided to finally get around to converting one of his bikes to ghetto tubeless. We thought it would be easy...

Long story short, he ordered a wheel set from Chain Reaction (Hope hubs and Stan's Flow EX rims). They were shipped with these valves, which looked okay. Could not have been more wrong. The first valve we tried, the rubber pretty much just split in half off of the valve stem. The second one we tried would not seal at all, no matter what we tried.

So now I'm at home and I read that product page, which says not to use them in tubeless setups?????? What the?

Anyways, just wanted to see what stems other people are running before purchasing another set. Will these work better? It looks like they will seat/seal in the valve hole a lot better...

We did another set on some Crank Brothers wheels earlier in the year and the process could not have been easier.

On another note, WOW are the tires ever tight on those Flow EX rims. It was almost a two person job to get them on there.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
This valve *will not work* to convert a non-tubeless rim to tubeless, please see our Tubeless conversion systems. --- Says that in the description of the first link you posted. That being said, kind of weird they sent them with that wheelset.

The second link you posted, I just set up a set of ex500's ghetto with those, work fine.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I use Mavic UST valve stems on Gorilla Tape ghetto tubeless as well as Stans rims. On schrader drilled rims I've used threaded automotive valve stems with a lock nut on Gorilla Tape ghetto.