Quantcast

Stans ZTR Flow EX: thoughts and experiences

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by fred.r, Nov 4, 2012.

1. fred.r

fred.r Dwangus Bogans

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Anyone out there have these rims long enough to give any kind of long term review?
    It's a toss up between the ex823 and the Flow EX's... kinda feel like the Flows will be nowhere close in durability as the Mavic rims are. Been on my current 823's for 4 years...
    So what's the word on the Stans?

#1 -   Nov 4, 2012

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dropmachine

dropmachine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 10
    The only way you're getting 4 years out of a stans flow rim is if you are commuting on it.

#2 -   Nov 4, 2012
  3. BmxConvert

BmxConvert Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I don't have any solid reviews yet but...
    I've laced a handful of them for customers lately. They've all gone on 4x/trail bikes, none on a DH bike.
    They still lace up really easy and build nicely. I wouldn't put them on a DH bike though. They don't look like they would hold up to denting for too long(and I normally run Blunts/Laserdisc FR rims for DH).

#3 -   Nov 4, 2012
  4. fred.r

fred.r Dwangus Bogans

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Bu... bu... butttt Stan's give it a "three wheel" rating for "DH Racing...." that's "wheel" "wheel" "wheel" with the only thing better being "wheel x 4"

#4 -   Nov 4, 2012
  5. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 26
    goin back to cali, cali, cali, goin back to cali!
    Fred you won't get 4 years on the stans I don't think you will get 4 years on anything but a 823...
    I'm running the flow ex rims and not a ton of time on them I did slam a couple rocks on your trail and I will say its a rigid aluminum they use...its been good for the drops I've cased a root or 2 downtown and definently laid into some rocks up north here and no complaints. I know people say they flex or the old ones did but the new ones are pretty dam stiff....

When they go I'll replace them with the same.....
    I rode my 721s with 3 cracks and a ton of nasty dents no issues I will be sure to get my moneys worth out of these...

Btw SMOKING deal on the i9 stuff...:shocked:

#5 -   Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  6. Tomasz

Tomasz Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ZTR Flow EX: 490g and 25.5mm wide

Mavix 823: 655g and 23mm wide

Guess which is stronger?

#6 -   Nov 4, 2012
  7. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,505

shltty gold rims that everyone on the innernet has?

#7 -   Nov 4, 2012
  8. fred.r

fred.r Dwangus Bogans

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks, stoked on em. Gonna need a full overhaul but they look damn nice.

Actually really stoked on the bike rebuild. Got the RO's, bled them and gonna drop some sintered pads in, feel good so far. Got new 823's on the way for the Hadleys. And should be getting a new 40 in a couple weeks. With the new rubber she's gonna feel brand new, pumped!

Yep, got those on my fixie... butter, but worth it... thank god I don't run brakes.

I wouldn't expect 4 seasons out of the Stans, but don't want something I'll be replacing in a year. I9 spokes are just too expensive to be doing that. I wasn't expecting a new hubset, especially I9s (last thing I thought I'd ever come up on), but now that I have a 32h hubset some new rim options open up, mainly the Stans new rim.

#8 -   Nov 4, 2012
  9. chup29

chup29 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 3
    i have some laced to hadleys on my m9 - been running them for awhile now, absolutely love them. Held up super well so far, ridden lots of very rocky trails and had a few races on them on pretty rough fast tracks. No dents, only the new wheel checkup true and just a few scratches from where ive scraped them on some rocks. So far i have only 1 complaint, they are pretty shallow so you need to be a little more patient when your putting new tires on, other than that - very stiff, super light, more durable than expected, overall very pleased.

#9 -   Nov 4, 2012
  10. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,505
    You're dead to me.

11. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 388
    Tangent question - do the EXs do a better job of keeping an even bead then the previous Flows? I use them tubed on my AM bike and find I'm constantly having to reposition the beads to get an even tire profile. No matter what I rarely get them seated perfectly, the diameter/width combo is just a tad too wide. To better explain - if I mount up some Schwalbe's that have the painted stripe around the bead, some sections of the tire the stripe will be exposed, some not. No amount of reseating will get it perfect, and the result is some inconsistency's in the tread. I haven't felt any ill effects when riding, but it bugs me.

12. fred.r

fred.r Dwangus Bogans

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Have you tried soap on the bead before inflating and using a compressor?

13. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 388
    Nope, hadn't thought of it. I'll give that a shot...still a PITA compared to Mavic/Sun rims though.

14. frorider

frorider Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 5
    just want to make sure I'm in the weekly 'Flow rims for DH?' thread.

15. iRider

iRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    23 / 227
    Has anyone used the e13 LG1 rims yet? They look like another solid option. I have heard that their 29er TRS rims build super nice and have a great finish/quality.