Quantcast

Stans ZTR Flow EX: thoughts and experiences

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Anyone out there have these rims long enough to give any kind of long term review?
It's a toss up between the ex823 and the Flow EX's... kinda feel like the Flows will be nowhere close in durability as the Mavic rims are. Been on my current 823's for 4 years...
So what's the word on the Stans?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I don't have any solid reviews yet but...
I've laced a handful of them for customers lately. They've all gone on 4x/trail bikes, none on a DH bike.
They still lace up really easy and build nicely. I wouldn't put them on a DH bike though. They don't look like they would hold up to denting for too long(and I normally run Blunts/Laserdisc FR rims for DH).

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Bu... bu... butttt Stan's give it a "three wheel" rating for "DH Racing...." that's "wheel" "wheel" "wheel" with the only thing better being "wheel x 4"

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fred you won't get 4 years on the stans I don't think you will get 4 years on anything but a 823...
I'm running the flow ex rims and not a ton of time on them I did slam a couple rocks on your trail and I will say its a rigid aluminum they use...its been good for the drops I've cased a root or 2 downtown and definently laid into some rocks up north here and no complaints. I know people say they flex or the old ones did but the new ones are pretty dam stiff....

When they go I'll replace them with the same.....
I rode my 721s with 3 cracks and a ton of nasty dents no issues I will be sure to get my moneys worth out of these...

Btw SMOKING deal on the i9 stuff...:shocked:

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Fred you won't get 4 years on the stans I don't think you will get 4 years on anything but a 823...

Btw SMOKING deal on the i9 stuff...:shocked:
Thanks, stoked on em. Gonna need a full overhaul but they look damn nice.

Actually really stoked on the bike rebuild. Got the RO's, bled them and gonna drop some sintered pads in, feel good so far. Got new 823's on the way for the Hadleys. And should be getting a new 40 in a couple weeks. With the new rubber she's gonna feel brand new, pumped!

shltty gold rims that everyone on the innernet has?
Yep, got those on my fixie... butter, but worth it... thank god I don't run brakes.

I wouldn't expect 4 seasons out of the Stans, but don't want something I'll be replacing in a year. I9 spokes are just too expensive to be doing that. I wasn't expecting a new hubset, especially I9s (last thing I thought I'd ever come up on), but now that I have a 32h hubset some new rim options open up, mainly the Stans new rim.

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
i have some laced to hadleys on my m9 - been running them for awhile now, absolutely love them. Held up super well so far, ridden lots of very rocky trails and had a few races on them on pretty rough fast tracks. No dents, only the new wheel checkup true and just a few scratches from where ive scraped them on some rocks. So far i have only 1 complaint, they are pretty shallow so you need to be a little more patient when your putting new tires on, other than that - very stiff, super light, more durable than expected, overall very pleased.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Tangent question - do the EXs do a better job of keeping an even bead then the previous Flows? I use them tubed on my AM bike and find I'm constantly having to reposition the beads to get an even tire profile. No matter what I rarely get them seated perfectly, the diameter/width combo is just a tad too wide. To better explain - if I mount up some Schwalbe's that have the painted stripe around the bead, some sections of the tire the stripe will be exposed, some not. No amount of reseating will get it perfect, and the result is some inconsistency's in the tread. I haven't felt any ill effects when riding, but it bugs me.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Have you tried soap on the bead before inflating and using a compressor?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Has anyone used the e13 LG1 rims yet? They look like another solid option. I have heard that their 29er TRS rims build super nice and have a great finish/quality.