Quantcast

Stan's ZTR Flow wheelset

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Mine are 860 front, 875 rear. With the DT hub that'd be 810 front and 875 rear. That's using DT supercomp spokes/nips, and doesn't include any rimtape/strip/valve etc. (57g each for the rimstrip, a couple of grams if you go for tape, and valve 5g or so).

HAVE YOU SEEN HOW EXPENSIVE THE DT FRONT HUB IS THOUGH?? Ho-leeeeeeeeeeeee! Pro2 all the way, 6-9g heavier and 1/4 of the cost (in the UK).
But DT and AmClass have matching colors ;)
Yeah, I noticed price difference :| I have to check local DT distributor.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Now that the Hopes have become about 10 g heavier the DTs have a weight advantage of nearly 20 g. If this is worth 4-times the money....you decide.
When did this happen? The Pro2s I've had have been circa 172g.

This thread is SAD, even I think so! :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When did this happen? The Pro2s I've had have been circa 172g.

This thread is SAD, even I think so! :D
Nerd alert! :nerd: :biggrin:

According to the US distributor Hope had problems with their rear hubs cracking the shell on the inside of the right flange. So they added some material there and to be on the safe side did this on the front as well.
Never have seen a Hope hub fail there, so pretty bummed about the weight gain. They addressed a problem that wasn't really there. Maybe they try to promote the Pro3?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Thanks sethimus, was trying to find that earlier but Tune's site was down.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
yellow tape saves a bunch of weight over the strips and works great with tubeless tyres. Stick to the strips if you are running normal tyres tubeless.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well last time I looked the rear hubs were 400eur or thereabouts, so I expect about $1000 at least for the pair of wheels, maybe more. The AC hub is cheaper and lighter so I would never spend the money on a wheelset from Tune when most of the cost is in a component that someone else makes lighter & cheaper!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
from being an american classic dealer and a tune dealer i can tell you that all the money spent on the tune over the am classic is well spent as it will outlast the am classic by about 10-1. The tune build quality is second to none. There hubs are amazingly well made with an unbelieveable amount of attention to detail put into it. In my experience the american classic stuff is very light and well priced but very much at the cost of durability. Very poor sealing on there hubs leading to high service intervils and frequent bearing replacements. A friend was the american classic uk distributor for a short while and he was plagued with warrenty problems.

The Maxxis DH team is running the Stan's rim's, or at least thats what they had on there bikes last week.
But then again I guess factory teams don't really count when it comes to the reliability test, since there team mechanics spend most of there day's building fresh wheels anyways, and they often discard ones most of us would baby for another month or two.
They sound like a great race rim though!

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Update would be nice. Anyone been running them with tubes?
Yup. I'm running Maxxis Advantage 2.4 tires with tubes.
Got the same setup as everyone else (Hope Pro II's, DT double butted spokes, brass nipples). Built them up about 18 months ago for my RFX and they've been just fine. A few dings and small dents, but nothing out of the ordinary after 18 months and they'll last through this season unless some major catastrophe happens.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The stans Flow rims are the most confusing rims I have ever tried.

The lace up great. The are round out of the box. They are light as hell.

I had them laced to Hope hubs, butted spokes. Put on a stans tubeless kit, and put on Maxxis advantage tires, foldable bead.

Rubbish.

Took 2 days to properly seal, with 4 scoops of stuff. They still slowly leak. first ride, they farted huge on the first corner, with 30PSI. Added more air, 35. Farts. Went up to 40, no more farts, but i mean...40 PSI?

Tried Kenda tires. Same thing. Unless the pressure was huge, it farted.

I was told to rock a steel beaded tire. Now, if I have to run a tire thats 200g (guessing, relax weight nerds) heavier, then one of the main points in rocking tubeless seems to be lost (weight savings), as well as having to run stupid high PSI.

So, this years challenge is to run UST tires, and see how that goes.

So, as a trail rim with thier tubeless kits, can't say I've had any luck whatsoever. In fact, one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. But I am very excited to see them as UST rims. It could just be that they marketed them the wrong way...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Damn, I was really hoping to try these, as I could shed some weight compared to 5.1's (which worked great for me), but if they're that much of a PITA, I might just stay with the DT's.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Its not that they are a pain in the ass, its that they are a pain in the ass if you try to use them as they tell you too. I've spoken to a few other people, and apparently if you throw UST tires on there they just rock the house. This is second hand info though, as I havent' been able to do it myself yet.

So strange, but true.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
FYI Tune hubs are pathetic.
They are for weight weenies who build bikes to take pictures of and not to ride on.
I consider my self a bit of a weight freak and I purchased the tune king and kong hubs and they were never on my (Iron Horse MKIII) bike for more than a couple of months before they failed.
I cracked hub shells (front twice and rear 3 times) and freehub bodys 3 times. The bearings were also proprietry so each time I had the bodys replaced I had to spend about £60 on bearings.
The UK importer for Tune "poshbikes" refused to do any of the work under warranty and charged me each time. I spoke to the same person (I'll call him bull**** man) at posh bikes each time and the customer service was a joke - the guy would tell me some story about how I was the only person who ever cracked one and then in the same conversation would tell me that tune have produced a new style freehub body for harder riders like myself who crack them.
I snapped a hub shell on the front within 24 hours of having it replaced during a 24 hour XC race.
Avoid tune hubs!

May 6, 2004
Tune vs American Classic hubs - this is now getting interesting :)
They are for weight weenies who build bikes to take pictures of and not to ride on.
I consider my self a bit of a weight freak and I purchased the tune king and kong hubs and they were never on my (Iron Horse MKIII) bike for more than a couple of months before they failed.
I cracked hub shells (front twice and rear 3 times) and freehub bodys 3 times. The bearings were also proprietry so each time I had the bodys replaced I had to spend about £60 on bearings.
The UK importer for Tune "poshbikes" refused to do any of the work under warranty and charged me each time. I spoke to the same person (I'll call him bull**** man) at posh bikes each time and the customer service was a joke - the guy would tell me some story about how I was the only person who ever cracked one and then in the same conversation would tell me that tune have produced a new style freehub body for harder riders like myself who crack them.
I snapped a hub shell on the front within 24 hours of having it replaced during a 24 hour XC race.
Avoid tune hubs!

VS

from being an american classic dealer and a tune dealer i can tell you that all the money spent on the tune over the am classic is well spent as it will outlast the am classic by about 10-1. The tune build quality is second to none. There hubs are amazingly well made with an unbelieveable amount of attention to detail put into it. In my experience the american classic stuff is very light and well priced but very much at the cost of durability. Very poor sealing on there hubs leading to high service intervils and frequent bearing replacements. A friend was the american classic uk distributor for a short while and he was plagued with warrenty problems.

I must admit, I love ridemonkey. You can learn soooo much before spending hard earned money

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've heard other tales of the Tunes cracking too. I've heard nothing about AC hubs other than my own experience... but then the DH ones have only been around for a month or so. Time will tell, but so far I like 'em.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yup. I'm running Maxxis Advantage 2.4 tires with tubes.
Got the same setup as everyone else (Hope Pro II's, DT double butted spokes, brass nipples). Built them up about 18 months ago for my RFX and they've been just fine. A few dings and small dents, but nothing out of the ordinary after 18 months and they'll last through this season unless some major catastrophe happens.
Thanks Smelly! Any problems running them at over the recommended 38lbs? I find I need to run my Advantages at about 38/42 to prevent pinch flats.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Its not that they are a pain in the ass, its that they are a pain in the ass if you try to use them as they tell you too. I've spoken to a few other people, and apparently if you throw UST tires on there they just rock the house. This is second hand info though, as I havent' been able to do it myself yet.

So strange, but true.

It seems like the real advantage would be running 'normal' tires, Stan's, and just the yellow tape+valve included with the rim...not sure I'd want to be limited to UST.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911

So strange, but true.
I've had the wheels for 4 months now and I haven't burped once. One tire is a UST the other is standard. The standard one leaks about 5-8 psi per week but has never been a problem on the trail. My Hutchinson Barracuda UST was 900ish g and the standard one about the same. I run 30 psi on the trails.

Are you running the tape or the rubber rim strip?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The tires aren't UST. THey are Maxxis Advantage, so the tape alone wouldn't do the job for tubeless.

Trying to get some tubeless tires on there soon though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It seems like the real advantage would be running 'normal' tires, Stan's, and just the yellow tape+valve included with the rim...not sure I'd want to be limited to UST.
I have Flow's on my AM/XC bike (2005 Enduro) with UST Alberts. I know this is a DH forum, but I ride them fairly hard and weigh in at 210lbs w/o gear. I'm in the NE, Ottawa to be exact, and a lot of my riding resembles Bromont, for those of you who know the terrain.

I first tried my Flow rims with Nevegals and tubes, and would pinch flat all over the place, it was really weird and really annoying.

So I bought some yellow tape, the valve stems and UST Schwalbe Alberts and have had NO problems since. The one and only time anything happened was when I landed a small drop to flat slightly crooked on my rear wheel and burped the tire. About ten yards later the tire blew off the rim. Nevertheless, I was able to do a trail-side repair, and get the thing to re-seal with just my hand pump. I'd say that's pretty darn good.

I ran this setup all last year, riding 2-3x/week , and just got back from Fruita, Moab and Phoenix. These wheels are still going strong, and I expect them to last through this season no problem at all. Mid-season last year I changed my rear tire out to a 2.3 UST High Roller and that works just as well as the Schwalbes (if not better - I wish they made the Advantage in UST).

Once you get the right combo (yellow tape and UST tires) it's a simple, reliable, hassle free system, IMHO. :monkeydance:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The tires aren't UST. THey are Maxxis Advantage, so the tape alone wouldn't do the job for tubeless.

Trying to get some tubeless tires on there soon though.

FWIW, I have had the exact opposite experience as you with the exact same tires.:biggrin:
Ha, I know you always shoot it straight, so that sucks that you had problems,
but mine were troublefree.
I got my I9's build up with the flow rims for my shova st trailbike.
I used one layer of the 5g yellow tape, their valve stem and used 2.25 Maxxis advantage tires. I only put a scoop and 1/2 of stans in, and they only leaked until I did my first trailride the next day, and have not leaked any since, well, except for a few PSI which all my tires do that.
And I have never burped them, but I did burp these same tires on my old 5.1 rim setup quite often.
I am running around 35psi in them with good luck, maybe a little more in the back.
This wheel setup is the fastest rolling setup I have ever used. Scary fast.
I am loving them so far. I have no idea it these rims hold up for real Dh, but I know they are sick on my trailbike.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Avoid tune hubs!
The uk tune importer is a bit of an eccentric chap. I hate having to call him he keeps you on the phone forever talking crap, he always goes off on mad tangents. I haven't got a huge deal of experience with either tune or am classic hubs for dh. In my shop we did alot more of there road stuff and most of my opinions are based on the longevity/durability of there hubs and bottom brackets. I've never experienced any problems with tune hubs cracking etc. I like the fact the tunes use standard bearings as there easier to get hold of. Although its rare you need to replace them with tune as there well sealed. On the other hand the AM Classic use custom bearings which don't last very long. So i know which i'd buy for myself. Although personally i wouldn't be bothered with either. I'd rather buy hopes or industry nines.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
The AM Classis hubs are almost identical to the WTB Laserdisc Lites hubs (Same manufacturer/Design) except for a bit more material removed and the steel inserts on the FH Body. While I have no experience with the AM Classic hubs, I can tell you that the WTB hubs come spec'd with very cheap bearings which you can blow throw in one day of lift accessed riding. Additionally, the engagement design isn't exactly strong. It uses a metal tab that engages 6 pawls, but essentially all the force is transmitted through the one tab which breaks often. The WTB also hubs have terrible seals that don't last long, which contribute to the premature bearing failures.

As a shop mechanic, I've seen almost every wtb hub we've sold come in often for bearing changes. The FH body problems happen less often but still happen. Enduro bearings in the hubs considerably lengthened the life of the hubs but they still would only last a few months of average trail riding (read: XC or AM, not DH).

As the AM Classic hubs are identical to the WTB LAserdisc hubs, all the info above applies. For weight weenies that don't ride hard or much, or for people that don't mind doing bearing changes every month or so, they are fine to use. Otherwise, step it up a notch and buy a set of Hope hubs which are cheaper and about 100 times better.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The 150x12mm AC hub is a brand new just-released product, and as far as I know WTB doesn't make a 150mm hub. So do you still think what you just wrote applies?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
You should be fine with the new American Classic hubs. A couple years ago they had bearing issues, but they have improved them each year and I have not heard of the current hubs having that issue.

The new Tune hubs should also hold up better too. The dh hubs now have a ti freehub body and the internals are stronger.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
The 150x12mm AC hub is a brand new just-released product, and as far as I know WTB doesn't make a 150mm hub. So do you still think what you just wrote applies?
Dude, no, they have been making a 150 mm hub for at least 4 years now, I have one and the only reason I have it was I picked it up for 5$ at a bike swap. It's a ****ty hub but how can you argue for 5$ and it's lighter than the Hope by a negligible amount. The bearings are terrible but even with toasted bearings the wheel still rolls with out much drag.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Dude, no, they have been making a 150 mm hub for at least 4 years now, I have one and the only reason I have it was I picked it up for 5$ at a bike swap. It's a ****ty hub but how can you argue for 5$ and it's lighter than the Hope by a negligible amount. The bearings are terrible but even with toasted bearings the wheel still rolls with out much drag.
You sure about that? I feel a weenie like myself would have known about it if that were true.... maybe I'm wrong though! And it's not a negligible amount, it's 60g, which is pretty significant. Hope is 295, AC is 236, roughly 20% lighter. If you took a 36lb DH bike and made every component 20% lighter you'd be left with a 29lb DH bike, so that's definitely not a negligible amount, IMHO.

Anyway, I've still only had mine a month or two, but no issues yet, I'll make sure you guys are the first to know if it dies :)

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
A bump for an update, I'm still undecided on what tyres to run on these rims. I think it's mainly my tightness holding me back tho as I have 2 pretty much brand new twin ply DHF's sitting in my van :nopity:

Don't want to go buy new tyres if people have had better experiences with standard twin ply, should I man up and buy new UST tyres or not?

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
My tightness ended up getting the better of me, just fitted the dual plys. 2.35 on the rear, 2.5 on the front. 2.5 took a bit more effort than the 2.35 but still easy, well impressed! Not quite sure I put enough Stans liquid in, will see if they still have air in in the morning!