Quantcast

Stan's ZTR Flow wheelset

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What !, I have set up multiple sets for our team both with and without seallant and both ways they worked fine. The seallant does give you a little added protection against a small puntcure or burping etc.
what the hell are you talking about? I have been running UST Minions on ZTR Flows for almost a year without sealant, and without problem.
I tried it with a High Roller on the back and, well, jonKranked and DirtyMike can attest to how well it went. Burped the sh*t out of it repeatedly, and eventually blew the tire off the rim entirely in a corner.

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
i have raced and ridden black rock with the front UST minion/ZTR flow as low as 17 psi without sealant, no problem.

as they say on teh internetz....you're doing it wrong.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i have raced and ridden black rock with the front UST minion/ZTR flow as low as 17 psi without sealant, no problem.

as they say on teh internetz....you're doing it wrong.
I've had no trouble with other tubeless systems, including Flows with sealant, but maybe. It's also possible it was just a dud tire, I kind of gave up on UST tires on those rims after that, seeing as how I'd done well with regular tires and sealant

Or maybe you're just not riding hard enough. :D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
CRC has Hope hubs now, but no Flow rims. I need wheels. My LBS wants $800 to build them. For that price Ill buy I9s.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
USE sealant KNTR, I have done the UST thing and I from here on out will have Stans in anything I run....
I have had the 823s and regardeless if its a UST tire or a reg. Stans FTW... Gashes happen, punctures happen its amazing what happens in the rocks at full speed....

Trust me the few ounces iw well worth the reliability in the crap out there, a flat tire ruins $h!t..... LOL that and destroyed rims :D....

Burping tires, rolling a tire on a HARD g-out they happen and stans will seal that thing fast and keep you going... Plus when you seat the bead put a little stans between the rim and the tire it actually dries the tire to the rim and eliminates burping.. I dont use soap and water and havent for a couple years now, a little stans on the outside bead (as well in tire)...

Last edited:

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
CRC has Hope hubs now, but no Flow rims. I need wheels. My LBS wants $800 to build them. For that price Ill buy I9s.
My LBS which is a big mailorder Universal Cycles just built mine up for about 650 and that was with a 150mm hub..I know they got them

jr_

Chimp
Jan 16, 2011
Just to keep this thread kicking along haha, how does a Minion DHF (non UST) go with the Flows? I'm reading that they burp a bit and having the rim strip is a good idea. Not sure if this is a good idea or not but I was planning on using these a fair bit in the bike park..

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So after this thread I bought the Flows. My rear Flow has cracks at every spoke hole. I was told by a different bike shop that the other bike shop retensioned the spokes too much. Now the bike shop wont replace them. We checked the spokes and they were around 175 spoke tension. I thought Flows were suppose to be around 80-120. Sounds like the bike shop over tensioned them and ruined the rims.

Is this common with the Flows?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well since they're not eyeleted they're more sensitive to being over tensioned than a lot of other rims, but I'm not aware of any such issues with wheels that I trust were tensioned properly, including quite a few I've built personally.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
Nope never heard that before. Definitely sounds like way too much tension. Been riding a set of flows with hadleys for the last 6 months and only thing I've had happen was a busted spoke and a small ding in the rear wheel running tubeless.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
agreed, having built up a couple sets, you gotta be pretty anal about not over tensioning. I think it even says on the rim?

sounds like they fvcked up

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
ia dt ex1750 from the factory is ~170kgf (table runs out of conversion for exact number)

the recommended tension for most manufactorers are all around 150-ish on average

bontrager: 130 (29er) -> 180kgf (26er)
fulcrum: 140kgf
mavic: 150-160kgf
shimano: 140kgf

just FWIW

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
They are going to talk to the guy that tensioned them, but he is on vacation. They said they were cracked when I brought them in. Yes they were cracked. I agree. They had trued them before that too. They are the only shop that has ever trued them. If they did it INcorrectly the 2nd time Im pretty sure they trued them INcorrectly the first time.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
ride a flow wheel @ 100kgf and 160kgf dt ex500 (similar weight and profile) back to back. they feel way different.

if 1 is better than the other is totally subjective though.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Heres a question.

Is there a product out there like a washer that can be used in non-eyeletted rims that will help spread the load at the spoke head?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I felt the Flows flex all the time, when they were brand new and tensioned (CORRECTLY)to 100. Under hard cornering they would actually rub the frame.

What other rims are around 500g that are worthy of DH?

ex500?
Syncros 28?

Opinions?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
pretty widely known that Stan's rims shouldn't be significantly overtensioned. however there are plenty of LBS's that specialize in being clueless.

on a side note, the eyeletted version of the stan's flow (on the sun ringle charger pro) has a max tension of 110 kgf...with lower spoke count.

on another side note, some experienced builders exceed the 100 kgf spec w/ Flows, but not by much. 175 sounds way overtensioned.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Heres a question.

Is there a product out there like a washer that can be used in non-eyeletted rims that will help spread the load at the spoke head?

Yes, and they cunningly called them "Washers" to put people off the scent.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
on yet another side note, there is a school of engineering thought that eyelets make the cracking issue worse, not better. i remember reading a fairly detailed analysis on that. while it didn't make me give up my pro-eyelet prejudice, it did make me realize that there is more going on here.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
and there are no complaints on flex that I'm aware of.
I only run a Flow on the rear on my hardtail (and not tubeless) and find Them noticably more flexy than my default choice of 721 for the back of a hardtail but no, I'm not really complaining considering the weight difference.

Don't think I could ever get away with running one on the back of a DH bike tho

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
What other rims are around 500g that are worthy of DH?
just built up the new WTB TCS free ride rims for my trail bike (23mm internal width, 540g) and those are pretty sweet. built nice, also offered in a 21mm internal width 455g version and a 470g 23mm internal width version. eyelets, UST bead. i wish they were welded, rather than internal sleeve, but so it goes.

really like the ex500 too, those things build great.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Why not the Mavic 721? 580g, and takes more abuse than a fat ginger parking cop.
Prone to rolling tires off if you ride hard enough with anything less than brand new Maxxis tires and will crack at the eyelets eventually, the hard anodised ones anyway.

Rims are disposable on a dh bike anyways, if you get more than 6 months you're doing alright.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So I had my Flows checked at 2 more shops. One shop said they were at 60 and the other shop said 70. The first shop said 175. WTF. My local LBSs stink.

Could under tensioned wheels cause cracks?

vmantzar

Chimp
Oct 23, 2011
Hi Guys, sorry for the off topic, but I am looking at replacing my wheels in my HT. The options I am looking are Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, DT Competition spokes with DT brass nipples with one of the following RIMs: DT FR600, Mavic 819 or 729 or 721, ZTR Flow.

I am not going to go for tubleless, instead I will be using tubes with Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph at the back, both 2.25. I am doing heavy XC and fast descends, however the places I usually ride are a bit rocky which sometimes you could easily say they are like rock garden.

Which one do you suggest? I love the ZTR flow looks and weight but from all the posts I read in this thread I am a bit put off with regard to their durability. Also how would it behave with in a non tubeless setup, would it ride ok, or too many flats?

The DT looks nice but none seems to use them, very very few reviews and threads, the Mavic are also nice but do not like the looks!

Seeing that I am not the type of guy that I will be spending money every year on rims, and I would like something more solid that also looks nice and fits my bike colours (Black/Red/White), would you recommend the Flows or is it better to go with the proved and tested 819?

more or less the question is Mavic 819/729/721 vs ZTR Flow, which of these?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The new havoc DH UST wheelset is plenty light. Fwiw.
I really hope they made that carbon dh wheel the team has been testing and the differance will be similar to their am line. Though they will probably be priced silly. My ztr/old 823 combo that is <2000g and is dh compatable should be ok for now.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you are doing "heavy xc" you will be more than fine with Flows. The people here having problems with the Flows were using them for riding downhill tracks on downhill bikes.

I had a set of flows on my "heavy xc" bike (2005 Spec Enduro) and they lasted me 3 full seasons with absolutely no problems. I only replaced them to try and go lighter, so I replaced them with Arch rims from Stans.

I have recently picked up a pair of WTB Laser TCS Trail rims for my trail bike, that will replace the Arch rims when they die. I like them because they are a little wider than the Archs. I would add those rims to your list, but it's a toss-up between those and the Flows. Maybe get what is cheapest?

vmantzar

Chimp
Oct 23, 2011
If you are doing "heavy xc" you will be more than fine with Flows. The people here having problems with the Flows were using them for riding downhill tracks on downhill bikes.

I had a set of flows on my "heavy xc" bike (2005 Spec Enduro) and they lasted me 3 full seasons with absolutely no problems. I only replaced them to try and go lighter, so I replaced them with Arch rims from Stans.

I have recently picked up a pair of WTB Laser TCS Trail rims for my trail bike, that will replace the Arch rims when they die. I like them because they are a little wider than the Archs. I would add those rims to your list, but it's a toss-up between those and the Flows. Maybe get what is cheapest?
Thanks for the info, is it an issue that I will not run them tubeless?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
well, according to Stans, because the bead-hook is lower, you'll get less pinch flats (since the rim wall isn't as high). but, I can't say I have really tested that out; I've been tubeless for the past 4 years.

But why not go tubeless? Schwalbe makes sidewalls that lend themselves very well to tubeless use...

either way though, I think you should be fine, but I can't say so from experience.