Quantcast

Star Wars: Force Awakens Thread (Spoiler Alert)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
when the cgi in prequels looks shittier than the models in the original movies....you are fucked.
That's one of my big beefs with movies these days. Stuff like The Matrix set it in motion with mind-bending moves, CGI and action scenes. And that was ok, because that WAS the story, an alternate reality where your mind, not physics, determines reality. Ok, good story IMO. Now every single movie is packed with these types of action scenes, shit that doesn't make any sense, arcing laser cannons in space, dropping space-bombs, star destroyers that only have two cannons, just dumb shit that is there to show off the CGI instead of an actual thoughtful movie/story line that involves plot twists and not just dumb fillers. If you could use a spaceship to cut a larger one in half by going to lightspeed, hell, why didn't you just do that from the beginning and save all the trouble? It's the age of dumb fillers IMO. The fantastic-four/iron-man/whatever. These attempt to take it seriously and it just ruins the story every single time IMO. Yeah, I kind of geek out on these, but I love a good Sci Fi that challenges your mind and does something unique and new, without being cheesy or trying to fill a terrible story line with CGI.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my son has been asking to watch star wars this week. he's been aware of it for a bit (i have some old star wars legos he plays with). is he old enough? where do i start? i'm think yes and new hope.
rogue one....new hope....and so on

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my son has been asking to watch star wars this week. he's been aware of it for a bit (i have some old star wars legos he plays with). is he old enough? where do i start? i'm think yes and new hope.
My take on this is "depends on your kid". My boys are pretty impressionable. Took them quite a while to be comfortable with this. My oldest in particular had nightmares for a week after watching Harry Potter. And he's 9. My youngest is 7. He watched it all, NFG. (though maybe Harry Potter is scarier because (somehow), it's more relatable, it feels more real). They both enjoyed SW, and are begging me to watch Rise of Skywalker. Somehow, my oldest has become an expert on all the various plot-threads. He's "only" seen what's on Disney+ since the beginning of the pandemic!

Also, we watched them in "chronological" order (Phantom Menace through to Last Jedi). Watching Rogue One and Solo at the right times also helped them understand the story-line.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My take on this is "depends on your kid". My boys are pretty impressionable. Took them quite a while to be comfortable with this. My oldest in particular had nightmares for a week after watching Harry Potter. And he's 9. My youngest is 7. He watched it all, NFG. (though maybe Harry Potter is scarier because (somehow), it's more relatable, it feels more real). They both enjoyed SW, and are begging me to watch Rise of Skywalker. Somehow, my oldest has become an expert on all the various plot-threads. He's "only" seen what's on Disney+ since the beginning of the pandemic!
he's pretty good at understanding when things are just pretend (ie fiction). although he usually is still ususally less interested in live action shows/movies than animated stuff. we'll see.

re: HP i'd say that's more relatable for kids because they're clearly younger.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My oldest in particular had nightmares for a week after watching Harry Potter. And he's 9.
My kids get a bit freaked out by the rock giants in Frozen 2 and other tame things, but somehow they handle the Harry Potter universe just fine. They've watched through the fifth movie, read books 1-5 with us (and then re-read obsessively by the elder child), and we're working through book 6 now.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i was seven when i saw a new hope....yeah im fucking old....older brother was 9....youngest 6....

i remember freaking out seeing the commercials...

also saw jaws when that came out in the theatre...

rogue one/new hope....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Mortis storyline in season 3 of Clone Wars was pretty good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Watched the last 4 episodes again of Clone Wars, Season 5. Damn that is better than any movie we've seen in 15 years.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
20200825_224146.jpg

if interested...

web address is at the top....can still buy as singles....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so there's rumors going around that pablo pascal left halfway through shooting season 2, and that the second half of the season won't feature him as a central character. i had a crazy thought last night, with ashoka appearing in season 2, and the mysterious hooded woman in the trailer, we might be seeing Sabine Wren as well. The timeline would line up,
since the end of rebels showed Sabine and Ashoka leaving for the outer rim / unknown regions in search of Ezra. Not only that, but if the rumors are true about pablo pascal leaving, perhaps the shift of the series would turn to Sabine, who is also a mandalorian.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That was a fun episode I am a fan for sure. I like the simplicity of the show. Why did he not just shoot the guy, take the suite and not have to be eaten by the big beast. Is baby Yoda making him turn soft?