Quantcast

Star Wars: Force Awakens Thread (Spoiler Alert)

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The Film Lucas stole Star wars from; Akira Kurosawa's " The Hidden Fortress"

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160104-the-film-star-wars-stole-from

It’s a brilliantly unconventional angle for a galaxy-spanning sci-fi adventure, but George Lucas, the writer-director of Star Wars, didn’t have to think too hard to come up with it. As he has often acknowledged, he simply borrowed the idea from Akira Kurosawa’s 1958 samurai classic, The Hidden Fortress. “The one thing that really struck me about The Hidden Fortress,” he said in 2001, “was the fact that the story was told from the [perspective of] the two lowest characters. I decided that would be a nice way to tell the Star Wars story, which was to take the two lowest characters, as Kurosawa did, and tell the story from their point of view, which in the Star Wars case is the two droids.”

Good article

I love Kurosawa's work. the copies not so much

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
curious to see if the ring theory will continue.

here's a theory on that line...

if snoke turns out to be palpatine, he would definitely have the motive for revenge. since luke turned vader back just before his death, he would want to take revenge. and what better way than by turning one of vader's offspring - luke's nephew - to the dark side.

note: this theory relies on the notion that palpatine, who was the apprentice to plageus, did indeed learn how to master / cheat death from plageuis. this was part of the expanded universe which is now non-canon, but some aspects of it have been pulled into episode 7.

i'd also say this theory would work if snoke is plageuis, however i think the motivation for revenge wouldn't be quite as strong as if it were palpatine.

one other thing worth noting, snoke is only ever referred to as "supreme leade snoke". we don't know if he had a sith title (darth something). in the original trilogy emporer palpatine isn't referred to by his sith title, but he wasn't in hiding so it probably wasn't necessary. he was only referred to as darth sidious in the prequel trilogy when he was still pretending to be senator palpatine.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
curious to see if the ring theory will continue.

here's a theory on that line...

if snoke turns out to be palpatine, he would definitely have the motive for revenge. since luke turned vader back just before his death, he would want to take revenge. and what better way than by turning one of vader's offspring - luke's nephew - to the dark side.

note: this theory relies on the notion that palpatine, who was the apprentice to plageus, did indeed learn how to master / cheat death from plageuis. this was part of the expanded universe which is now non-canon, but some aspects of it have been pulled into episode 7.

i'd also say this theory would work if snoke is plageuis, however i think the motivation for revenge wouldn't be quite as strong as if it were palpatine.

one other thing worth noting, snoke is only ever referred to as "supreme leade snoke". we don't know if he had a sith title (darth something). in the original trilogy emporer palpatine isn't referred to by his sith title, but he wasn't in hiding so it probably wasn't necessary. he was only referred to as darth sidious in the prequel trilogy when he was still pretending to be senator palpatine.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Popular-Supreme-Leader-Snoke-Theory-Just-Took-Major-Hit-103707.html

Fattiretrike

Chimp
Jan 18, 2016
Based on what I've seen of the Star Wars cultists, I now regret not making (and selling) light sabers with a flesh light handle (for the male virgins) and a dildo handled light saber (for the female virgins). :disgust:

Oh well, off to eat pounds of empty carbs and nitrate laden meats at the company winter solstice luncheon...where's my insulin?
Here is a fat tire trike that I made from a limited edition Star Wars bike. I made this trike from the fat bike and it rides really nice.

Attachments

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I find this theory intriguing. I don't like the "Rey is Lukes daughter/Obi-wans granddaughter theories" because the Jedi aren't supposed to engage in relationships. It's a large part of the reason Anakin falls to the dark side, just like any religion, forbidding its adherents from engaging in sex/relationships tends to create violent extremists. If Luke and/or Obi wan are such "great" Jedi there should be no kids/grandkids. The only hole I see in this theory is the claim that Anakin was "supposed to bring balance to the force yet technically failed". That's not true. Anakin became a Jedi during what is possibly the Golden age of the Jedi, he brought balance by destroying the Jedi. When episode 3 ends, it's Vader, the Emperor, Obi wan, and Yoda, basically 2v2. That's pretty balanced.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I find this theory intriguing. I don't like the "Rey is Lukes daughter/Obi-wans granddaughter theories" because the Jedi aren't supposed to engage in relationships. It's a large part of the reason Anakin falls to the dark side, just like any religion, forbidding its adherents from engaging in sex/relationships tends to create violent extremists. If Luke and/or Obi wan are such "great" Jedi there should be no kids/grandkids. The only hole I see in this theory is the claim that Anakin was "supposed to bring balance to the force yet technically failed". That's not true. Anakin became a Jedi during what is possibly the Golden age of the Jedi, he brought balance by destroying the Jedi. When episode 3 ends, it's Vader, the Emperor, Obi wan, and Yoda, basically 2v2. That's pretty balanced.

two things:

nowhere i've seen is it explained what "balance" to the force means. does balance mean no sith? or is balance ying/yang as you've indicated?

the rey/anakin thing has some merit. plageuis had learned the secrets to immortality (whether this was reincarnation, eternal life, transferring once's essence to another body - is up for debate). supposedly palpatine learned it from plageuis, so it's entirely possible that vader learned it from palpatine.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
two things:

nowhere i've seen is it explained what "balance" to the force means. does balance mean no sith? or is balance ying/yang as you've indicated?

the rey/anakin thing has some merit. plageuis had learned the secrets to immortality (whether this was reincarnation, eternal life, transferring once's essence to another body - is up for debate). supposedly palpatine learned it from plageuis, so it's entirely possible that vader learned it from palpatine.
Well, I've always take "balance" to mean yin/yang type balance. Thats just how I interpret it, and I may be wrong. I've never read it but I know there is a series of Dark Horse comic books called "The golden age of the sith".

I suppose it's possible, though it seems a tad dark-sidey to just be transferring one's soul or what ever around. Seems like if that were possible I wouldn't want to bet on the new incarnation being a real lover of the light side.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Of all the little plot holes and goofy stuff in the movie, the one thing in that really bothered me was this:

+

=

That's a fucking milk man baby if I ever saw one. Some goofy looking Spaniard got one over on our boy Han.