Quantcast

Star Wars: Force Awakens Thread (Spoiler Alert)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The Rise of the Resistance ride at Disney was psycho-cool. Like the new movies or not, it is an impressive experience. It's not a roller coaster but has some mild thrills while putting you through a narrative experience.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm finding the Bad Batch plot to get weaker and weaker. Making the Stormtroopers conscripts that are "more loyal" doesn't make any sense, compared to clones programmed to be loyal from birth. It's like the opposite of what it should be...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
He seems to me like an unrealized character. They got the visual down but that seems as far as they really went.
For as much hate as Disney gets, Lucas really fucked up those prequels.

Maul shoulda been the Vader of the prequels, killed Quigon and been back for Attack of the Clones, instead we got that half robot guy and Count Dookie, neither hold a candle to Maul.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For as much hate as Disney gets, Lucas really fucked up those prequels.
i've thought on this a bit, and in light of watching the clone wars series, probably the biggest underlying issue is that lucas was trying to tell too much story for 3 movies. also jar jar binks.

Maul shoulda been the Vader of the prequels, killed Quigon and been back for Attack of the Clones, instead we got that half robot guy and Count Dookie, neither hold a candle to Maul.
i read recently that in an early version of the script, grievous was going to be revealed as maul (who survived)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i've thought on this a bit, and in light of watching the clone wars series, probably the biggest underlying issue is that lucas was trying to tell too much story
That's a a really good point.

Movies want to leverage special effects and "do everything". The problem is it just goes past the point of being probably/possible in the universe they've created (the story) and it tries to fill in too much. That balance of mystery that keeps the audience guessing is what the original movies had and now that you can just "do anything" with special effects, it leads the producers down that road and removes half the experience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's a a really good point.

Movies want to leverage special effects and "do everything". The problem is it just goes past the point of being probably/possible in the universe they've created (the story) and it tries to fill in too much. That balance of mystery that keeps the audience guessing is what the original movies had and now that you can just "do anything" with special effects, it leads the producers down that road and removes half the experience.
special effects razzle dazzle aside, one thing about the prequels (esp eps 2 & 3) is that they are all over the place, they just show up on a new planet with no context as to where and why they're there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I can't figure out why both Star Wars and Marvel think that fights between high tech and/or superpowered armies should basically look like Braveheart.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
My daughter is dying to watch it but she got force-blocked by circumstances last night and tonight, so she’s gonna have had to wait two days. She’s pretty well steaming. I expect she’s watched Bad Batch on her laptop already but even in her state of frustration, she’ll definitely wait for the big screen and the surround for Mando. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it too. I want more Andor though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't realize there was a season 2 of Bad Batch. Will catch up the next time I'm bedridden due to pain.

I'm bummed my kids haven't been able to get into Andor. I like it, but maybe not enough to watch it on my own.

What does it say about me that I like the Star Wars franchise more than my kids?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Finally saw season 1 episode 3 of Mando
wait do you mean season 3 episode 1?

Felt like a live action version of a Clone Wars episode
you say that like its a bad thing

which I know people love but it's just too kid-show-ish for me to get into.
which seasons of the clone wars series have you watched? i agree with that statement for the first 2-3 seasons of clone wars, season 4 is when it started to get good. the final season was actually kinda dark if you follow the story arcs.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
wait do you mean season 3 episode 1?

which seasons of the clone wars series have you watched? i agree with that statement for the first 2-3 seasons of clone wars, season 4 is when it started to get good. the final season was actually kinda dark if you follow the story arcs.
Oh yeah, I meant the new one S3, Ep1.

Got most of the way through season 1 of clone wars and just couldn't hang with it. Maybe I just didn't get far enough into it for it to get good, but new Mando has the same feel to me.

Andor felt like not much happened for the first few episodes, but you knew they were building something, just no clue what. Mando was setting everything up and it's completely obvious how this season is going to pan out, unless they do an M Night Shamalan twist and just make some random shit happen that they never set up in the plot.

We shall see

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got most of the way through season 1 of clone wars and just couldn't hang with it. Maybe I just didn't get far enough into it for it to get good, but new Mando has the same feel to me.
honestly you can skip the first two seasons. start at season 3. not as good as subsequent seasons, but there are some stories / events that you'll need for setup for subsequent seasons