Quantcast

Starbucks closing stores!?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hopefully they start with the ones right across the ****ing street from one another... (How many times have you seen that? My office in San Fran had like 4 within 2 blocks...)

Tragic, though. How many cross-Starbucks romances (a la "Best in Show") will be denied because one yuppie couldn't spot another yuppie in the Starbucks across the street?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like their hot chocolate.

F**k any and all coffee.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yeah kinda ridiculous having 5 Dunkin Donuts within a 2 mile radius.
And if we got rid of them, just WHAT would we do with all the overly prosperous India middle class folks moving here after causing the current rise in gas prices?

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
This is all in the effort to curb and balance obesity rates and the current financial crisis. Now people will have to walk 3 blocks to get an expensive coffee, instead of 1. Walk more = don't get fat. Don't walk = save money. Win win.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hopefully they start with the ones right across the ****ing street from one another... (How many times have you seen that? My office in San Fran had like 4 within 2 blocks...)
?
Serious. The shopping center down the road has three in teh same shopping center, then there is another two blocks down the road then four milesish in another shopping center there is three more. Different configurations in the shopping centers, usually one big main store, one small store, and a couple inside other stores!!!!! And the crazy part, is that they all seems to always be busy when you go in.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So ARE they closing stores, or do you WANT them to close stores?

I hate Starbucks, I put them right up there with Performance bikes, killing the little guy

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
They have crappy coffee anyway. Now if they'd only close the other million stores they have.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
good I can't stand them

out of total exhaustion yesterday I walked into a starpukes between ambulance runs and asked for a small black coffee.... Woman behind the counter said " Im sorry we are all out but if you wait 5-10 minutes we are brewing another batch" wtf? I said screw it your coffee isn't worth waiting for and hit the 7-11 that I spied down the street.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Maybe its because coffee shouldn't taste like burnt ass hair. They roast the beans within an inch of charcoal.....gross.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
hate Starbucks, I put them right up there with Performance bikes, killing the little guy
Maybe, depending where you are. Starbucks created a whole bunch of people who love coffee and hate Starbucks. There are MORE small coffee shops here than there were before SB.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe, depending where you are. Starbucks created a whole bunch of people who love coffee and hate Starbucks. There are MORE small coffee shops here than there were before SB.
I never saw a coffee shop before a starbucks. Coffee used to be the realm of diners and gas stations.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
yesterday I walked into a starpukes between ambulance runs and asked for a small black coffee.... Woman behind the counter said " Im sorry we are all out but if you wait 5-10 minutes we are brewing another batch" wtf?
:plthumbsdown: A coffee shop being out of coffee represents monumental failure. Don't they plan ahead? Load anticipation, or some appropriate corprobuzzword. (thou with Starbucks the load is something else).

Pretty shure there are no Starbucks within 50 mi of where I live.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You are lucky. I will never forget standing on a corner in Seattle (Belly of the beast...) and looking down all four streets and seeing a $tarBuck$ within spitting distance on each one.
Local cofee shops = good. $tarBuck$ = bad.

Burnt ass hair = classic!
(But I do like the nice big mug someone stole and left in my front yard. After I stopped the wife from using it for birfd seed, its great for coffee)

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Woman behind the counter said " Im sorry we are all out but if you wait 5-10 minutes we are brewing another batch" wtf?
A coffee shop that runs out of brewed coffee. Go figure they're closing stores.

Starbucks is the WalMart of the upper class. People go there and don't know why..

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Maybe its because coffee shouldn't taste like burnt ass hair. They roast the beans within an inch of charcoal.....gross.
Damn skippy. Fvcking inedible coffee, the milkshake drinks are not terribly good either. I was given a lemonade/green tea blend thingy from there the other day, and was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was.

On a side note, Starbucks is good to their employees, so it kinda sucks to see them cutting so many loose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon, I was mistaken, its a Winchells on Milpas St, in Santa Barbara, No DD for you!
Maybe we should collectively go in and open a DD. I did some googling, in order to buy a franchise, you actually need to start 5. Potential locations I'm thinking:

El Segundo (near LAX, and a LOT of businesses)
Hollywood
Santa Monica
Santa Barbara
Torrance

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Panera has good coffee. $1.50 for 12 oz of goodness.

There's one below my office. You are allowed to come back refill your to go cup on the same day. (At least I am, I dunno about you homos)

$1.50 for good coffee all day is awesome.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Maybe two or three of the many thousands of locally owned coffee shops that Starbux put out of business can open back up.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
is owning a Starbucks the same as owning a DD. i was told that to be a DD owner you have to open a second location within 5 yrs of opening the first. so does SB make their owners do the same? that could explain why there are so many that close to one another.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I never get up in time for coffee.
Now if only I could have a couple more dive bars in the area.

Though I do like Chick Latte when its too early for a strip club and I need some go-go.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
"You can take your stars, and you can take your bucks, stick 'em up your ass, coffee sucks" - "Coffee Connection" Skavoovie & the Epitones

-ska todd