Quantcast

Starlink

Has anyone here installed and used the second generation Starlink with the rectangular antenna?

I have about seventeen questions, having just received the kit. Documentation for all of this seems to be nonexistent save for some generally useless drawings without words.

seen countless youtube vids on it thus far but still cant order a kit myself, good luck as i will be following intensely due to me wanting to put a starlink in the coach.
There's a bunch of stuff out there on the round dish with the UTR-201 router, but I have found nothing on the newer UTR-211.

It's also worthy of note that the UTR-211 has no internet port, need to order an adapter.

Took a deep breath and put some conduit through the wall into the study, temporarily installed antenna on ground behind house, Wired everything up and supplied power, router let me set name and password for WiFi, but no internet when connected. I would somehow have expected to see the antenna orient itself, but it's just sitting there. Opened a support ticket with Starlink.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice. Can’t wait to get this for the mountain house. It’d let me actually do a normal work day from up there, which would be quite fabulous over the summer with the kids out of school.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oops, they forgot a key piece of information in the title of that article (click bait).

Also screw websites like that, that have infinite scrolling home pages. I tried going to the bottom to read the "about" page, but its impossible, as the page keeps scrolling! :banghead:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oops, they forgot a key piece of information in the title of that article (click bait).

Also screw websites like that, that have infinite scrolling home pages. I tried going to the bottom to read the "about" page, but its impossible, as the page keeps scrolling! :banghead:
Least I didn’t do the dipshit move of a paywall site!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.09.07 PM.png

Took a bit to figure out but got it dialed, had to give a random addy that was in the "service area" then use a different shipping address to get it delivered correctly. $649 to order, $110 monthly. Worth it to me since most of my places i tend to "park" are in the middle of nowhere. Will def come in handy in yellowstone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Took a bit to figure out but got it dialed, had to give a random addy that was in the "service area" then use a different shipping address to get it delivered correctly. $649 to order, $110 monthly. Worth it to me since most of my places i tend to "park" are in the middle of nowhere. Will def come in handy in yellowstone.
At one point people were saying that you couldn't take a Starlink dish out of the specified service area. There were some indications that Starlink was using its customers' service areas as inputs to their satellite routing, so if you took it somewhere where there were no other customers, you'd end up with little-to-no service.

Has that changed? Seems like a perfect road warrior internet solution, I've just been holding off on the investment since (originally) it didn't seem to be mobile-friendly.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
At one point people were saying that you couldn't take a Starlink dish out of the specified service area. There were some indications that Starlink was using its customers' service areas as inputs to their satellite routing, so if you took it somewhere where there were no other customers, you'd end up with little-to-no service.

Has that changed? Seems like a perfect road warrior internet solution, I've just been holding off on the investment since (originally) it didn't seem to be mobile-friendly.
In all the Facebook groups I am in, essentially all the RV/mobile users acquired their dishes via this approach and not one single person has an issue or lack of service.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
In all the Facebook groups I am in, essentially all the RV/mobile users acquired their dishes via this approach and not one single person has an issue or lack of service.
Nice. Sounds like this is an option for me in the future, then. I wouldn't mind paying $100/month to eliminate internet speed as a consideration when picking my AirBnbs.

There was a place last year that was beautiful and relatively cheap, but only had a 3g cellular hotspot for internet connectivity. I don't need perfect internet for work, but that was pushing it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice. Sounds like this is an option for me in the future, then. I wouldn't mind paying $100/month to eliminate internet speed as a consideration when picking my AirBnbs.

There was a place last year that was beautiful and relatively cheap, but only had a 3g cellular hotspot for internet connectivity. I don't need perfect internet for work, but that was pushing it.
I'll be giving you an update on how it works/doesn't work in ostensibly no-service Grand County, CO soon. My package is en route via the gff service address trick. (I used Duluth, MN.)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For something that is supposed to be bringing internet to sparsely populated areas, it sure looks like they have the densely populated areas and countries well covered...

Also read:

Starlink announced that it will be increasing prices on May 21 on both the monthly service and the hardware for new orders.

The monthly service will go from $99 to $110 and the price for the base hardware will go from $499 to $599 unless you are already on the waiting list. The price for those currently on the waiting list will go up to $549.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Few notes after Starlink has run a bit

This is literally the only place I was able to set the dish until my roof mount arrives to place it above the coach mounted to the ladder on the rear.

D2610735-734D-4176-8A56-615EB9F0664F.jpeg

Navigating the service area boundaries is a little quirky, being in Canby, the app or the website wont let you use a service address in the shaded areas so I had to find a location that was supported. The best signal I was able to get was using a service location roughly 21 miles due east in the lighter green area.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 8.35.13 AM.png

Even being 21 miles away from the lat long of the service address and having some obstructing from its current ground placement I am getting uninterrupted service.

E841740E-3D47-44F8-9BEC-5214AB5E9A21.png

I can’t imagine what kind of speeds I would be able to obtain with zero obstructions and an accurate service address in supported zones.

911F3284-B97F-4AA2-A6E1-973B55DA9C61.png

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Found this site that can help diagnose or see what POP's or ground stations your location would be attached to

open the map, Turn off your VPN, do a speed test or two until it finds your green triangle (pop) then determine if there is one closer.

If you find your dish is connecting to a POP that is further away than your closest ground station you can message starlink and let them know you need to be moved to a closer POP for better results.

Green dot is my dish, Seattle's pop is closest but starlink had me connecting to SoCal. Went from 120-150 MBPS out of SoCal, to 180-210 MBPS once connected to seattle pop.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.28.51 AM.png

The change was huge to ping and latency getting my results down into the 20's of milliseconds and overall stability 10x better. Also using a AX router after the starlink router allows you to change your DNS from google to something faster in your area with the least amount of hops but still using the functional parts of the app and starlink tools.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.09.39 AM.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Found this site that can help diagnose or see what POP's or ground stations your location would be attached to

open the map, Turn off your VPN, do a speed test or two until it finds your green triangle (pop) then determine if there is one closer.

If you find your dish is connecting to a POP that is further away than your closest ground station you can message starlink and let them know you need to be moved to a closer POP for better results.

Green dot is my dish, Seattle's pop is closest but starlink had me connecting to SoCal. Went from 120-150 MBPS out of SoCal, to 180-210 MBPS once connected to seattle pop.

View attachment 175332

The change was huge to ping and latency getting my results down into the 20's of milliseconds and overall stability 10x better. Also using a AX router after the starlink router allows you to change your DNS from google to something faster in your area with the least amount of hops but still using the functional parts of the app and starlink tools.

View attachment 175337
Looks like I will not have service up in the mountains.

Still going to try it tomorrow.

starlink.PNG

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Actually you will be fine since starlink shows a service address position is less than 6 miles from your actual position. thats 15 miles less than my situation. The map you are using is for checking your POP rather than service area. looks like your closest ground station will be denver which will provide much better results than my current area. looks like running a location just west of the young life camp will do the trick.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 10.19.38 AM.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cool. That map's set via the app once it's all set up and plugged in?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Cool. That map's set via the app once it's all set up and plugged in?
plug in the dish to the router, then plug in the routers power supply, then load the app and start setup, once all of that has been done and you reconnected then change your service address via the website on a computer. Unless your service location is too far then do it after setting up your network.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Yesterdays Falcon 9 launch with 53 sats, opened up a huge area of the SW to full service in less than 12 hours. NM, AZ and East texas now have a significant amount of coverage, that got me thinking since one rockets payload and affect that much area whats next?

April 29Falcon 9 • Starlink 4-16
Launch time: TBD
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch with another batch of Starlink internet satellites. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. [April 22]

May 8Falcon 9 • Starlink 4-15
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch with another batch of Starlink internet satellites. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. [April 22]

May 8Falcon 9 • Starlink 4-17

MayFalcon 9 • Starlink 4-13
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Space Force Base, California
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch with another batch of Starlink internet satellites. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Pacific Ocean. [March 25]

MayFalcon 9 • Starlink 4-18
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch with another batch of Starlink internet satellites. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. [April 20]

265 sats will be up by the end of next month