Quantcast

Started a bit of a new hobbie

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
FISH!!!

Thats right, the wife and I bought a small fish tank. I knwo I know, its nothing compared to what some people have, but we picked up a ten gallon starter kit, came with tank, filter, hood, lights, water conditioner, couple trial packs of food, coupon for distilled water........

We decided to start off with cold water fish for now, easy desicion seeing how goldfish are soo cheap, and if we kill them it wont be sooo costly. Thinking about moving it to a tropical setup later, but we will see.

Little snap here for yalls, two fantails, and three **** basic goldfish for now

Soooo, I have some questions for the fish guys here...... How hardy of a fish is the goldfish? Will they survive if I add the heater with them? Or is that pretty much a death sentance for the goldfish?

Another question..... Suggestions for possible cold water fish that get along well in a small tank like this? My wife like pretty stuff, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Last question, Are live plants worthwhile in such a small tank?

Last edited:

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
i dunno anything about fish so i'm no help.
cool hobby tho, i should've thought of that before i got all invested in model rockets. i've always wanted like a five hundred gallon, salt water tropical setup. with an octopus. and while i'm at it, a bear.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I have worked on a saltwater setup before..... Back in Hischool I was volunteered< I didnt ask, I was told> to help maintain the 500 gallon salt tank in one of our glasses.... That **** was no joke........... All I can say is No way will I ever go salt water... I rather spend the money on my bike

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Very cool.

I have a couple of mates into saltwater tropical aquariums. Better than watching TV.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Soooo, I have some questions for the fish guys here...... How hardy of a fish is the goldfish? Will they survive if I add the heater with them? Or is that pretty much a death sentance for the goldfish?

Another question..... Suggestions for possible cold water fish that get along well in a small tank like this? My wife like pretty stuff, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Last question, Are live plants worthwhile in such a small tank?
1. The heater should be fine, but get an adjustable one and start it at the lowest setting and increase it very slowly to the desired temp. I keep my tank at 77 degrees and I have a goldfish that has outlived 5 tropical fish.

2.Buenos Aires and Tiger Barbs have done the best for me, but I'm sure anything fairly hardy should do fine with goldfish as long as you have a good filter.

Buenos Aires

Tiger Barb

3. Yes yes yes yes yes!!!! Live plants increased the total health of my tank dramatically! They oxygenate the water as well as absorb CO2 and toxins:thumb:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think you would have to try and kill the goldfish. They are pretty easy. My brother is huge in to aquariums and had 4 or 5 at one point. From what I understand, for freshwater, the smaller the tank is, the easier it is to take care of. For saltwater, the opposite is true, the larger tanks are easier, because the water isn't as prone to fluctuations in salinity and all the other factors. Fish are awesome to watch.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i have had pictus catfish with a goldfish before. the pictus is a REALLY cool fish, and its temperature range was at the bottom for the higher range for the goldfish, so they got along fine. Do not recommend tetras as they seem to be very prone to ick (in my experience)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ditch the freshwater setup and start a reef setup. i just sold my 125gallon setup for a smaller, 28gallon self contained unit

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
We do the same thing...inexpensive goldfish and the like. Kids love them, easy to care for and grow like weeds.
Using algae eaters? I am not even going to try and spell plakoskamuss...or whatever the hell it is...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We do the same thing...inexpensive goldfish and the like. Kids love them, easy to care for and grow like weeds.
Using algae eaters? I am not even going to try and spell plakoskamuss...or whatever the hell it is...
plecostomus? :p

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
A heater won't kill them, but putting them in an uncycled tank might. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle...or did you use some filter media from an existing tank? Might lose some of the fish you have, but goldfish are hardy. Bio-spira is a good product for cycling a tank immediately but its pricey.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Tiger barbs and tetras would love to nip the fins off the fantails. Especially if you don't have a large enough school (they keep to themselves in a pecking order of sorts). Which might be kind of hard in a tank that small considering the goldfish will outgrow it as well (or have stunted growth).

A pleco will do more bad than good. As you will have you feed it since the glass isn't covered in algae. Not to mention how much they crap and strain the bioload, and they will outgrow a 10g.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Tiger barbs and tetras would love to nip the fins off the fantails. Especially if you don't have a large enough school (they keep to themselves in a pecking order of sorts). Which might be kind of hard in a tank that small considering the goldfish will outgrow it as well (or have stunted growth).
My Tiger Barbs once ate a pleco... They never touched my goldfish though. But that may be because it's easily twice their size. :rolleyes:

Edit:Here's the untouchable beast! :thumb:

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd recommend getting a book about fish that describes which fish live together in the wild and how to make an environment to match.

A basic filter/pump/heater setup and you should be good to go.

I like cichlids with rocks. But goldfish are really cool, too.

And/or a tank chock full of neon tetras with lots of vegetation.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My wife was REALLY upset when I explained they weren't "cuddlefish."

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
A heater won't kill them, but putting them in an uncycled tank might. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle...or did you use some filter media from an existing tank? Might lose some of the fish you have, but goldfish are hardy. Bio-spira is a good product for cycling a tank immediately but its pricey.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

A pleco will do more bad than good. As you will have you feed it since the glass isn't covered in algae. Not to mention how much they crap and strain the bioload, and they will outgrow a 10g.
I cheated, I bought the water at the Local fish/aquarium store.