Quantcast

Starter fly fishing gear recommendations?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife and I did a guided half day wade yesterday, first time for her, second time I've done one. We both had a great time and would like invest in some starter gear to get going. Given we're complete novices we don't know enough to want to drop a couple of k to outfit us both with the latest and greatest gear.

Colorado trout fishing, so I think 5 weight gear is likely the best starting point? We have a Browning 5/6 weight 4 piece rod her dad gave to us, I'm not sure what weight the line on the reel is. Happy to use this for one of us, but we need enough gear for us both to be able to fish and I'd rather not buy junk that will fail the first time a fish takes the lure.

Suggestions?

@eric strt6 looking at you, @SkaredShtles I know we traded a couple of PM's.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Wife and I did a guided half day wade yesterday, first time for her, second time I've done one. We both had a great time and would like invest in some starter gear to get going. Given we're complete novices we don't know enough to want to drop a couple of k to outfit us both with the latest and greatest gear.

Colorado trout fishing, so I think 5 weight gear is likely the best starting point? We have a Browning 5/6 weight 4 piece rod her dad gave to us, I'm not sure what weight the line on the reel is. Happy to use this for one of us, but we need enough gear for us both to be able to fish and I'd rather not buy junk that will fail the first time a fish takes the lure.

Suggestions?

@eric strt6 looking at you, @SkaredShtles I know we traded a couple of PM's.
We got our kids (way back in probably 2010?) all a cheap Redington "combo" kit that comes with rod, reel, line, and leader. They've been surprisingly good. The rods are actually pretty nice, and we've not had any of the reels fail. You can poke around local Goodwills for vests - they get them fairly regularly in these parts. Or just get a chest pack.

And like I said in PM's - here in Colorado you can get away *without* waders and boots, unless you want to get into some of the bigger/deeper rivers. Just a pair of water sandals works fine...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got my setup at a Cabela's and had them put it together there (run the line, etc). Works pretty decent.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
5wt is a pretty decent starting point. It'll certainly handle most trout in CO no problem.

I assume you two mostly intend to fish streams from the bank or wading?

My setup is a 5wt, 4 pc, 9' Temple Fork Outfitters rod paired with a Ross reel. I think it cost $300 without line. Don't be fooled into thinking you need to spend a ton, you can get very good setups for a reasonable price these days.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Pondering this Orvis outfit:

Or this Redington Field Kit:

We went into the closest outfitters near us during the week and were ignored by the staff for 30 minutes, so we left. We said it made us think of the scene in Pretty Women where she lets the snooty store know what they missed out on. S phoned them and said we'd gone in there to get fully outfitted for two people. They apologized lots, asked us to come back the next day and promised discounts if we did...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ehem, I believe an update is required @6thElement.
Picked up 2x of these, one for me, one for S, each with furled line, 24 random flies, tippet, line holders

First time out with it today and I had a blast.

20210808_120901_resized.jpg

edit: just ordered some Korkers wading boots (thanks @eric strt6 )and some wading neoprene socks as we'll pick up waders as the weather cools down if desired.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Tried a random spot on the way back from a DH camping weekend yesterday where we could easily move our bikes to within sight while wife and I fished.

First brook trout of my fishing adventures for me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I kind of want to get back into fishing, haven't done so since I was in my 20's/teens.

Theres a river near where I go biking that apparently has good fish - as its out in the boonies and access to it can be hard. I know of a back way onto the river via some secret trails... Down river is where most people fish from, near the town miles and miles away. Reports say the upper portions have bigger fish, as its not fished nearly as much.

But also looking at other spots and I came across this. I wonder what the law is here, can someone actually "own" a section of river? Waterways here are protected, in that no one owns the water, but I have to look up if this applies to rivers as well.

Not that I'm going to mess with trying to fish near this bridge, where someone has tied a rope across the river with a no trespassing sign. Even if thats against the law to prevent access, I aint gonna mess with those karens.
1701971333959.png

This looks like a better spot, but has an obvious pull out from people parking here. I've always wanted to lay in this shallow spot after a ride and have a beer...
1701971662214.png

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I kind of want to get back into fishing, haven't done so since I was in my 20's/teens.

Theres a river near where I go biking that apparently has good fish - as its out in the boonies and access to it can be hard. I know of a back way onto the river via some secret trails... Down river is where most people fish from, near the town miles and miles away. Reports say the upper portions have bigger fish, as its not fished nearly as much.

But also looking at other spots and I came across this. I wonder what the law is here, can someone actually "own" a section of river? Waterways here are protected, in that no one owns the water, but I have to look up if this applies to rivers as well.

Not that I'm going to mess with trying to fish near this bridge, where someone has tied a rope across the river with a no trespassing sign. Even if thats against the law to prevent access, I aint gonna mess with those karens.
View attachment 204742

This looks like a better spot, but has an obvious pull out from people parking here. I've always wanted to lay in this shallow spot after a ride and have a beer...
View attachment 204743
You should check with the local agency that deals with rivers - rules down here in Freedumbland are all over the place with regards to water vs. streambed, etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You should check with the local agency that deals with rivers - rules down here in Freedumbland are all over the place with regards to water vs. streambed, etc.
I think its this, which falls under our Ministry of Natural Resources: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ownership-determination-beds-navigable-waters-act-policy

From reading other stuff, it seems like normally the river/river bed is not deeded to anyone, but there are some locations where it has been (probably old policy, grandfathered in etc).

So now I guess its a matter of finding out how to look up such information. I'm guessing in the case of buddy in the screenshot above, putting that rope across the river, that they don't actually own the riverbed. But its so convoluted of a process to find the information and as its out in the boonies (I doubt there 3 neighbors care), that its just never contested.

But how to find the information, that seems to be the real question?

Hey ChatGPT can you translate this to engrish please? https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90b04

Haven't read this yet... https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/conservation/assessments/environmental-reviews/navigation-protection/guidebook.html

I should get back to work. :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I think its this, which falls under our Ministry of Natural Resources: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ownership-determination-beds-navigable-waters-act-policy

From reading other stuff, it seems like normally the river/river bed is not deeded to anyone, but there are some locations where it has been (probably old policy, grandfathered in etc).

So now I guess its a matter of finding out how to look up such information. I'm guessing in the case of buddy in the screenshot above, putting that rope across the river, that they don't actually own the riverbed. But its so convoluted of a process to find the information and as its out in the boonies (I doubt there 3 neighbors care), that its just never contested.

But how to find the information, that seems to be the real question?

Hey ChatGPT can you translate this to engrish please? https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90b04

Haven't read this yet... https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/conservation/assessments/environmental-reviews/navigation-protection/guidebook.html

I should get back to work. :think:
Seriously, though - the best bet is to actually talk to someone in the ministry. Around here if the river is non-navigable, the streambed owners can put up barriers to keep people floating "their" part of the river.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Seriously, though - the best bet is to actually talk to someone in the ministry. Around here if the river is non-navigable, the streambed owners can put up barriers to keep people floating "their" part of the river.
Call the government and ask for an answer?

Hold up

Wait

Let me gather myself

1701975221694.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe lawyer up? :D

Srsly, though - I wouldn't bother trying to call. Head right in there and start making a nuisance of yourself.

Unless, of course, you REALLY don't care that much. In that case, just avoid that section of river. :homer:
I mean, thats pretty much what I typed :busted:

It just triggered my curiosity about whether they are allowed to do that or not, just seems odd to have a rope stringed across a river.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
These guys have great prices on flies. I linked to their kits but you can also buy as each es. Fast easy way to stock both of you up without breaking the bank

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
From my extensive reading of Joe Pickett novels, they can't make the river private in Wyoming, but they'll shoot you if you step out onto their land. Might not be the same up in Murica's merkin.