Quantcast

Starting an Online Shop

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I have become bored with running my landscaping business so ive decided to start another job up. Right now my plans are to run an online shop that will sell high end off road and expedition parts and gear for trucks. I've already got a business lisence and tax ID set up, now I just need to set up a website and wholesale accounts. As of now I want to sell products from:

ARB
TJM
Bilstein
Fox
Hi-Lift
Garmin
Hella
Warn
Superwinch
QT Services

I figure that will give me a good start, as most products made by those companies have a good market demand. I am also contracting out a local machine shop that a friend owns to make some custom suspension and steering components for land rovers, however the site in general will be un-biased.

The main thing I am un-sure of is how i want to do my website. I'm not the greatest with computers, so I dont really know how to start. Are there any good sites out there that let you design a site from pre-made templates, yet will yeild a final product that still looks good? Also, I know how to get paypal to work for the payments, but is there a company out there that can process a credit card order and do that all for me? Any help with things like this would be great.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have no advice, but let me know when you get started, cause the jeep needs some love.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Honestly, hire a professional (whomever it may be).

The WORST thing you can do when starting a web business is to make the site yourself if you don't know how to do it. It will look amateur, and nothing will kill business faster than a shoddy site. It's like buying your parts from some sketchy guy on the corner in a banged up box, or at the local porsche dealership.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Transcend said:

The WORST thing you can do when starting a web business is to make the site yourself if you don't know how to do it. It will look amateur, and nothing will kill business faster than a shoddy site. It's like buying your parts from some sketchy guy on the corner in a banged up box, or at the local porsche dealership.
Ditto.

I work for a company that does a lot of website design. The difference between a professional's design and the do it yourself is pretty drastic. If you want to learn it all there are books and courses you can take, but contracting out the work will make sure it gets done right, which will make you more money in the end.

The Ito

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
narlus said:
make sure there are lots of flashing pictures, trailing mouse cursor effects, and bitchin' metal tunes.
And blinking text, never forget the blinking text!

Also, e-commerce sites aren't something even some professionals can't do effectively. You really need to hire someone who knows whats up. A properly designed site with a good product can easily pay for itself inside of 90 days.

You will need a payment gateway/merchant accounts/ssl certificates/ecommerce software etc.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Be sure to have at least 6 flash pages before you actually get to the homepage. Research shows it has a drastic effect on sales... :dead:

Yeah, get a pro in. I'm a web designer / content manager and I employ marketing companies and other creative types for a lot of layout and presentational stuff.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I totally agree with the 'get a pro' thing. Its totally in your favor if the designer you go with has past experience in your particular market too.

A question though, what is your strategy for driving traffic to your new site? Regardless of how sweet the site is, if no one sees it, its useless.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tame Ape said:
I totally agree with the 'get a pro' thing. Its totally in your favor if the designer you go with has past experience in your particular market too.

A question though, what is your strategy for driving traffic to your new site? Regardless of how sweet the site is, if no one sees it, its useless.
This is also something a web design firm will be able to help you out with. Advertising on the web is proven to drive more traffic to a site than almost any other method btw. You just have to know where/how to advertise online to make it effective.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
If you want it on the cheap you could try to find a college kid or something to do it. My roomate maintains websites and they are decent especially for the money, but if you can afford it have someone build you something ba.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Watch out for shipping, that may be the downfall of your idea. It costs a buttload to ship a bumber, fpr intance when I bought my TJM, it was cheaper to just pay tax and buy local that get it through an online shop. Also if you have a veryy clear and concise explanation of what will fit on what, i.e. wich part #s to order to put Fox shocks on a Defender 110 with a 2" lift, and you want to be able to carry extra gear in the back, otherwise there really isn't much of a reason to order from you, when bigger companoes will likley sell cheaper. Also pictures, and lots of them, I held of forever on buying a bumper for my Disco because I knew the ARBs were ugly as sin, but I couldn't find any shots of the TJM eventually I saw one in a parking lot, and bought it the next day, but the sale would have happened 6-7 mos. earlier had I seen some pictures.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't those companies protect their best accounts from guys like you? The name brand bidnez is extremely hard to get into, it takes mountian of credit and a few dozen lawyers just to get in the door. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Serial Midget said:
Don't those companies protect their best accounts from guys like you? The name brand bidnez is extremely hard to get into, it takes mountian of credit and a few dozen lawyers just to get in the door. :)
It's not as hard to get into as you think as long as you have the proper paperwork. They protect their business from guys who either aren't registered as a full fledged business and setup properly or look mega amateur (another place a pro looking site will help).

I have a few high fashion ecomm clients who got into the business from out of the blue (no prior contacts or experience) and now sell some of the largest name brands. You just have to buy minimum quantities, be in the right area and most importantly, deal with companies who want to sell online. The quaterly orders are usually in the $30-$50 000 range, so mountains of credit is an understatement. I guess that in itself proves you are serious and not just wanting to get deals for your buddies and yourself.

Most of them now realize that business models are changing, and that web based businesses are legit enterprises if taken seriously.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
I thought he was going to school in Arizona?

Maybe he wants to be a fireman now...
I went to horseshoeing school with a fireman named Don, from Phoenix. He was also a wrestler. He thought it was funny to body slam me. He weighed 200 back then, and I weighed 145. I didn't think it was as funny as he did.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
I went to horseshoeing school with a fireman named Don, from Phoenix. He was also a wrestler. He thought it was funny to body slam me. He weighed 200 back then, and I weighed 145. I didn't think it was as funny as he did.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Nicole Kidman = holy crap hot. oh man, Eyes Wide Shut...the last scene with the glasses.....daaaaaaaamn.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Transcend said:

Heh heh I highly recomend the mob my sig links to. ;) :D :thumb: