Quantcast

Starting Mountain Biking

Tammy2

Chimp
May 8, 2008
I rode a little last year on a friends bike. This year I am looking to buy my own bike. I don't do to much downhill or hard trails. Any suggestions on a bike?

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Welcome to the monkey.

Check out the beginner's forum and then do a search. Many threads have been started and fully answered on the topic of what kind of first bike to get. If you still can't find the answer you're looking for post up the specifics of what you're looking for in the Beginners forum.

Good luck.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah, definitely check out the beginner's forum as there is a lot of information in there.

A few questions answered will help us to guide you in the right direction too:
1. What type of trails do you ride (where do you ride).
2. Price range
3. What bike did you ride last year?
4. Do you have the opportunity to demo any?

Tammy2

Chimp
May 8, 2008
I dont do much downhill or difficult trails...mostly flat. I am not looking to spend more than $2500. Unfortunately I just remember I used a Kona last year...wasn't to comfortable. I went to a local shop and didnt find anything to appealing. I did find this online (http://www.huckjambikes.com/ss/products.php?item=cn3) With a name like Tony Hawk I would only assume it is a good bike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Don't let anyone oversell you. For $2,500 you can get a Cadillac. For $900- you can get something excellent that'll let you get started. By the time it breaks or wears out, you will know what you want for your second pass.
I'll second what JBP has to say here. $2500 is quite a bit of $$$ to be working with. Definitely try to test ride a variety of bikes at local shops and see what other people are riding on the trails that you'll be riding. Most of us a willing to let someone try out our ride and share our knowledge on the trail as well.

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
i think that $2500 is probably too much too spend! if you check out the beginners forum you will definitely get more info.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
that tonyhawk bike has some pretty low end parts for that kind of cash, I say pass.

I "4th" $2500 is a lot for a 1st bike.

do you want:
geared or ss?
full suspension, hardtail or rigid?
26 or 29er?

Tammy2

Chimp
May 8, 2008
I know $2500 may be a lot to spend on a first bike. But I do want to buy new and haven't seen ANYTHING that I like for under that. I checked with a few of my sisters biking friends and they seem to think the Tony Hawk bike would suit me fine. What about it doesn't seem good?

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
There is not a single thing about that bike that justifies the price tag. If you bought it on Monday for $2500, you wouldn't be able to sell it Tuesday for $1000. Cheap catalog frame hung with low-mid level parts from a company for which mountain bikes are barely an afterthought. It would be kinda like paying $40k for a Suzuki Sidekick.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I know $2500 may be a lot to spend on a first bike. But I do want to buy new and haven't seen ANYTHING that I like for under that. I checked with a few of my sisters biking friends and they seem to think the Tony Hawk bike would suit me fine. What about it doesn't seem good?
You need to look harder. $2500 is a boat load of money to spend on a bike unless you plan on beating the crap out of it 3+ days a week or you are planning on racing. If you aren't doing really rugged of trails (or even if you are) you probably won't notice the difference between a $800 bike and a $2500 bike. So you would be wasting your money. Especially if you bought that Tony Hawk bike. Major ripoff.

For a first bike around $1k you should look at full suspension trail bikes with 4" of travel at the most. Go to a shop that will fit you properly and is wiling to swap out seats, bars, grips, pedals, tires, etc. to ensure you are comfortable.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Where do you live? We could then recommend a local bike shop that will treat you right and put you on the right bike. No need at all to spend $2,500 on your first bike.

If we had a sense of your locale we could probably recommend the shop and the right person to speak to at that shop and you'd get the right bike for your needs.

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Listen to these guys. Sound like you have money burning a hole in your pocket. You need to try riding some bikes and go with what feels best. Most times you go to a trailhead or riding destination(vietnam in central Ma. or Highland in NH) there are several other people there with a wide variety of bikes. Ask if you can pedal around for a minute or two. 95% of people will say yes. I have been riding all my life and Mt biking for 15 years. I rode/tried several bikes, liked a Santa Cruz bullit alot, then bought one on ebay with 1 ride on it for $1200. You will be much happier riding on something you tried first.

Tammy2

Chimp
May 8, 2008
I guess since I am new and don't know much about the sport I jumped on the first bike that stood out. I got my heart set on it and ended up purchasing it yesterday. I just really did not want to waste the summer looking when I could be out riding. If for some reason the bike isn't right for me, my sister rides and I am sure she would take it off my hands. I will make sure to let you all know how it turns out and Thank you for all the information.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Wow. Why bother asking if you didn't plan on listening? It wouldn't have taken you the whole summer. An hour at a good shop would have put you in a better bike for half the money.