Quantcast

starting runnig...some tips?

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
so im going to run to give myself some variation, but i know nothing about running. can someone just give me some rough advice like how long i should run ect? im just doing this for exercise, nothing serious.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by azrael
so im going to run to give myself some variation, but i know nothing about running. can someone just give me some rough advice like how long i should run ect? im just doing this for exercise, nothing serious.
First get some good running shoes that fit perfect (the Midget can help you there)
Also start running just a few Kms for you first time than increase the length making sure not to injur yourself.
Also stretch after

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
ive got shoes. mostly just technique is what i want, like i know theres not much to it, but is there anything really important to keep im mind? and is half an hour good(thats how long i ride)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
A half an hour sounds about right for starting out. I might even go a little shorter if I was just starting out. Running too much too soon will result in stress fractures, muscle pulls/tears, and/or joint problems. You might have great cardio endurance from cycling, but your body is not yet ready for the intense pounding you're about to put on it. Slowly increase your mileage, say a mile every one or two weeks. Running on soft surfaces (grass, dirt) is preferred to pavement.

As far as form goes, pinch your shoulderblades (this opens up your chest) and shove your pelvis forward. Some people, upon learning about the shoulderblade technique, do not move their arms in stride anymore. Don't do this, make sure you keep on pumping your arms in stride with your legs. Also, concentrate on pushing yourself forward with each stride, don't push yourself up

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
Originally posted by Jorvik
A half an hour sounds about right for starting out. I might even go a little shorter if I was just starting out. Running too much too soon will result in stress fractures, muscle pulls/tears, and/or joint problems. You might have great cardio endurance from cycling, but your body is not yet ready for the intense pounding you're about to put on it. Slowly increase your mileage, say a mile every one or two weeks. Running on soft surfaces (grass, dirt) is preferred to pavement.

As far as form goes, pinch your shoulderblades (this opens up your chest) and shove your pelvis forward. Some people, upon learning about the shoulderblade technique, do not move their arms in stride anymore. Don't do this, make sure you keep on pumping your arms in stride with your legs. Also, concentrate on pushing yourself forward with each stride, don't push yourself up
thanks. now that i know how to do it, i can't make anymore excuses, i'll go for my first run tommorow...

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Buy new shoes often (But really depends on your mileage).
Even tho the shoes may still look good, they break-down in the inside. You don't want to develope heel spurs, planar fasciitis, or a number of other ailments from bad shoes.
If you start getting these pains, likley you'll never fully recover. :dead:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
Buy new shoes often (But really depends on your mileage).
Even tho the shoes may still look good, they break-down in the inside. You don't want to develope heel spurs, planar fasciitis, or a number of other ailments from bad shoes.
If you start getting these pains, likley you'll never fully recover. :dead:
I can't believe I forgot to post that! This is a MUST.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Doh! Sorry I missed this one... what everyone says is correct. All I can add is to start slowly at a pace that seems easy to you - work on your base miles before you start working on speed. Your connective tissues need time to adapt to the new routine.

Quality shoes fitted by a professional are an absolute must!!! major chains are not likely to have the perfect shoe for you... best to look for a small spacialty shop that caters exclusively to runners.

If you are running on trials - wear trail shoes. There is a huge difference between trail and road shoes.

Road shoes typically last about 300 miles, trials shoes last about 500 miles.

If you have more specific questions... :)

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
ok.
in terms of how much:
i ride for about half an hour everyday, nothing seroius, just sort of messing around to keep fit and ride from home to town to buy stuff. now with running, how much do i need to do to get the same amount of exercise?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
45 minutes to an hour three times a week should be fine. Cycling for 30 minutes is pretty low impact... to get the most out of your time you should have your heart rate over 75% for an hour each day.