Quantcast

State Trooper writes ticket for 140 mph over the speed limit!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Can't out run the radio...:p

At 205 MPH, Speed Thrills
Minnesota biker cited for driving 140 mph over limit
The SmokingGun.com | 22 Sep

The below Minnesota speeding ticket should be in a museum someplace. That's because motorcyclist Samuel Tilley, 20, was clocked Saturday afternoon going 205 mph on his Honda 1000. That was 140 mph over the limit on U.S. Highway 61. Tilley was clocked at Indy car speeds by a State Patrol pilot flying overhead, stopwatch in hand. The pilot radioed ahead to a state trooper who pulled Tilley over and issued the reckless driving citation. Tilley, the son of a sheriff's deputy, displaces William Faenza at the top of TSG's speediest driver list. Faenza was nabbed last September when Pennsylvania cops clocked him doing 182 mph in his Lamborghini Diablo. (1 page)

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/faenza1.html

J

JRB

$115 for 205. How dumb are the courts in MN??? I would think you would get several hundreds of dollars in fines plus a stinch in the pokey for that here. :think:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
loco-gringo said:
$115 for 205. How dumb are the courts in MN??? I would think you would get several hundreds of dollars in fines plus a stinch in the pokey for that here. :think:
Look at again. It's $115 for not being licensed, $215 for the speeding, and a court date for the reckless driving. $330 + whatever the judge decides is gonna suck... :help:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco-gringo said:
Did you not read this?
N8 said:
Tilley, the son of a sheriff's deputy
...there are about a million crimes he could be charged with at that speed, too...

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
my brotherinlaw's turbo'ed 'busa runs 218 per the GPS he takes along.

My best ticket so far was a combo of speeding (106 in a 45)/ reckless negligent opperation (racing) while driving a boat at the local lake. I had to see the judge and he REALLY didn't like seeing the (racing) part. My fine was much more then that guys from what I can tell. BTW, I lost the race too! :(

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
spookydave said:
My best ticket so far was a combo of speeding (106 in a 45)/ reckless negligent opperation (racing) while driving a boat at the local lake. I had to see the judge and he REALLY didn't like seeing the (racing) part. My fine was much more then that guys from what I can tell. BTW, I lost the race too! :(
it always amazes me that people think the really stupid stuff they do is worthy of mentioning. This'll turn into a pissing contest of stupidity as well... "well I got busted doing 162mph!"

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
it always amazes me that people think the really stupid stuff they do is worthy of mentioning. This'll turn into a pissing contest of stupidity as well... "well I got busted doing 162mph!"

i was clocked at 235km/h but i bribed the cop, so no fines. :blah:
hahahaha
:nopity:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
Well I once got busted for doing 29 in a 25. :mumble: :mumble:

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I was clocked at 165 in a 55. I then was doing somthing like 185 on the sholder to the first exit. I don't want to talk about what happend after that. I will just say I did a good job talking my way out of jail.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ALEXIS_DH said:
i was clocked at 235km/h but i bribed the cop, so no fines. :blah:
hahahaha
:nopity:
no one cares until you hit 300kmh... then you make a video and put it online. Oh, please wear all black when you do it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
if you fvcknuts wanna impress, what's the SLOWEST YOU'VE GONE rubbing cyclinder heads and NOT dropping your bike?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
if you fvcknuts wanna impress, what's the SLOWEST YOU'VE GONE rubbing cyclinder heads and NOT dropping your bike?
Reduce the pressure in the fat rear tires of a modern sport bike and you can pretty much sit still without falling over.

Edit: Just realized that you meant turning slow, duh. I never felt comfortable turning hard in fast corners so I used to find the tightest twistiest roads around. There was this one set of tight switchbacks north of Cincinnati that I could drag pegs on my VFR doing about 35.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
LordOpie said:
whatever pal, I'm sure you're crisp and clean.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
spookydave said:
whatever pal, I'm sure you're crisp and clean.
I never said that I haven't done stupid stuff or speed... it's just not that hard to go fast.

Like Westy, modern bikes are super balanced.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Hot dang. I would have thought that the speediest speeder ever would have been even faster.
The fastest ticket that any of my friends have received was 140mph. Two of them were cruising on bikes, an R1 and a GSX 1000 R. After they thought that they had ditched the cop, one slowed down to 120 and the other took it up to 165mph. The kid going 120 was eventually caught. The trooper had turned off his lights and managed to sneak up on him. The officer didn't arrest the kid because he was so pissed at having pretty much destroyed his car chasing him down. He couldn't stand to look at the kid. To send a strong message, he got out of the car with gun drawn. Those speeds = felony. A $600+ ticket seemed like a bargain.
But speeding is about the least stupidest thing of all the stupid things that my friends and I have gotten into trouble for, or in most cases avoided trouble. :thumb:

On a somewhat related note, how many of you have seen the video Gumball 300, about the Gumball Rally?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
LordOpie said:
:stupid:

Don't worry, old man - it's the 16-25 crowd that gets into that "Well, I can top *THAT* stupidity........ let me tell you what I did.... <blah> <blah>"

It's a very basic form of chest-thumping. Like adolescent gorillas do in the wild....

-S.S.-

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

Don't worry, old man - it's the 16-25 crowd that gets into that "Well, I can top *THAT* stupidity........ let me tell you what I did.... <blah> <blah>"

It's a very basic form of chest-thumping. Like adolescent gorillas do in the wild....

-S.S.-
hahahahahaha!!!!!!

awawawawawawawawaww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jane, where you aaaaaaaaaaaare????

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I used to drive fast on the streets. Then I started racing karts and then cars. After learning about the saftey featues of a race car, and WHY they are built the way they are built, then comparing it to a passenger car and realizing that YES, you can DIE in a crash at 5 mph, I stopped speeding. It's just stupid. Race cars have steel roll cages, five point harnesses and the drivers wear helmets even in races on short tracks where the average speeds are 70 - 80 miles an hour which is about how fast people drive on the freeways. There is a reason for this. Speed can kill you.

Driving around on the streets not paying attention, speeding, talking on the cell phone, etc. is just plain stupid. And lemme tell you something, the worst drivers are the ones that think they know how to drive. Take some race driving lessons and you will realize just how little you really know. Especially how little you know about what to do DURING a crash. If you want your brains on your dash, or scrambled inside your head, then fine. I couldn't care less, and neither could most other people. But don't put my brain in danger. Then you are being stupid AND an azzhole.

I love driving fast. I really do. Only I do it on a race track... in a CONTROLLED environment. Where the only one I can hurt is myself. (Or others who acknowledge and accept the danger)

If you want to drive fast do it on a race track. Any where else is just plain stupid and selfish.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
LordOpie said:
Yet when people called "Darwin" when that chopper guy fell of his bike while standing on the seat you defended him....

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
LordOpie said:

Oh yeah? I can top all you guys - I passed traffic on 285 coming into Denver @ 167 mph - didn't get a ticket - and the best part, I got smart soon afterward, realised that I quite enjoy walking and riding my bicycle - and sold the MC so I could continue to do so in the future - HA!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
s1ngletrack said:
Oh yeah? I can top all you guys - I passed traffic on 285 coming into Denver @ 167 mph - didn't get a ticket - and the best part, I got smart soon afterward, realised that I quite enjoy walking and riding my bicycle - and sold the MC so I could continue to do so in the future - HA!
Did you have no self-control? Cuz it's a shame that you sold your scooter. What were you riding?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
LordOpie said:
Did you have no self-control? Cuz it's a shame that you sold your scooter. What were you riding?
The last bike I sold was an '01 Triumph Speed Triple, before which I rode an 2000 Daytona - and before that - my favorite - a '98 Suzuki TLR, the thing had un - Godly amounts of low end (compared to the older bikes I'd had , KZs, GSs, etc...)

I am getting much better at the self control, I would just get a wild hair every now and then, and, truth be known, I wanted to buy a house. I've considered replacing it within a year or two... we'll see.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
s1ngletrack said:
<snip>
I am getting much better at the self control, I would just get a wild hair every now and then, and, truth be known, I wanted to buy a house. I've considered replacing it within a year or two... we'll see.
Sounds like you're getting old, bro'...... :D

-S.S.-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
s1ngletrack said:
You have a bike I take it?
man, i dig that Triumph you had. You should've robbed a gas station instead of selling it. yeah, 1986 BMW K75... it's more of a cruiser, but if you roll the throttle anywhere between 4000-7000 rpms, you get a good kick. Just slow off the blocks. I actually rarely ride it except to work, in part cuz I don't know many people who have a scooter and I'd really rather pedal.

hey, if you have a roadbike, join us in Moab for the Skinny Tire Fest.

{insert -SS- snide remark here about moab+roadie-mtb :blah:}

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Ciaran said:
Take some race driving lessons and you will realize just how little you really know.
That is so true. It gets even better when you go for a ride with an instructor who is driving a fairly similar car. Its like getting smacked off side the head, but sooooooo much fun!!!

LordOpie said:
"Power currupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." Can't remember who said that, but it definately goes way beyond wealth. Not justifying super-speeding, but when you can go from 70mph to 100 in the blink of an eye, and slow down even faster if you need to...

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
LordOpie said:
man, i dig that Triumph you had. You should've robbed a gas station instead of selling it. yeah, 1986 BMW K75... it's more of a cruiser, but if you roll the throttle anywhere between 4000-7000 rpms, you get a good kick. Just slow off the blocks. I actually rarely ride it except to work, in part cuz I don't know many people who have a scooter and I'd really rather pedal.

hey, if you have a roadbike, join us in Moab for the Skinny Tire Fest.

{insert -SS- snide remark here about moab+roadie-mtb :blah:}
When is it? I'm supposed to hit Moab the second weekend in Oct. - I could secure a bike for the ride.

I really liked the Speed Triple - something about naked bikes is just sexy and the thing was alot of fun to ride, I could get it up on the nose for about 30 feet (at stop signs) when I sold it. I'd love to have a BMW - my uncle used to rave about his before he died - I've kind of been sentimental about them since - though I've never had one.

I try to balance out selling the street bike to buy a house by doing enough other stupid sh!t - I feel at times that I am close to a breakthrough in reversing the aging process. Does anyone know if it is nice down around Golden right now?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
LordOpie said:
I love bragging about how cool I am, I live on the edge like James Dean. I was driving my modified bath-tub Porsche roadster and, well I got busted doing 162mph!
You pussy, I got busted going 261mph (that's 162 backwards bro)...Sheesh, move over grandma!!!

I bet nobody is as cool as and reckless as me! Hell I almost killed a few people this one time.

:D

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Encinitas, its near San Diego
Repack said:
Hot dang. I would have thought that the speediest speeder ever would have been even faster.
The fastest ticket that any of my friends have received was 140mph. Two of them were cruising on bikes, an R1 and a GSX 1000 R. After they thought that they had ditched the cop, one slowed down to 120 and the other took it up to 165mph. The kid going 120 was eventually caught. The trooper had turned off his lights and managed to sneak up on him. The officer didn't arrest the kid because he was so pissed at having pretty much destroyed his car chasing him down. He couldn't stand to look at the kid. To send a strong message, he got out of the car with gun drawn. Those speeds = felony. A $600+ ticket seemed like a bargain.
But speeding is about the least stupidest thing of all the stupid things that my friends and I have gotten into trouble for, or in most cases avoided trouble. :thumb:

On a somewhat related note, how many of you have seen the video Gumball 300, about the Gumball Rally?
Its the gumball 3000 not 300

J

JRB

jet said:
My brother got a ticket back home for doing 34 in a 25.

ON HIS 12 SPEED BIKE!!!!

Remember this jet - people don't kill people, bikes kill people. :D