Quantcast

Stay in School, Win a Car

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:nuts:

High school students in the Yuma area may win a brand new car if they have a perfect attendance record. An Arizona car dealership will give away two cars next spring to keep students in school. Will programs like this motivate students to stay in school?

Fisher Chevrolet in Yuma, Arizona, launched its "Cool to Stay in School" last school year and gave away a Chevy Cavalier to a San Luis High School student in a raffle.

To be eligible, students must have a spotless attendance record. This school year, the dealership will give away a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and a 2006 Dodge Caliber.

Will programs like this motivate students to stay in school? Should other schools across the country try a similar approach?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Looks like a win win situation.

If you are going to advertise you might as well do it in a positive way.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
stinkyboy said:
Doesn't a scholarship make more sense?
I would think if a kid doesnt want to be in school.. he/she doesnt want to win a scholarship to force them to stay in school. A car is something that attracts them. the problem is once they win it.. then the will be driving to the beach instead of school.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
hooples3 said:
I would think if a kid doesnt want to be in school.. he/she doesnt want to win a scholarship to force them to stay in school. A car is something that attracts them. the problem is once they win it.. then the will be driving to the beach instead of school.
At least they can drive to their McDonald's job with their HS diploma...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stinkyboy said:
Doesn't a scholarship make more sense?

not really.

What if the person is really stupid, but trying really hard by showing up and going to school? You cant give a scholarship to someone who cant get into college.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
not really.

What if the person is really stupid, but trying really hard by showing up and going to school? You cant give a scholarship to someone who cant get into college.
A really stupid person needs a free car?

BillT

Monkey
caboverpete said:
come to school sick... infect others... win a car
When I was in high school, our county tried something similar. If you had perfect attendance, you were allowed to skip finals (you could opt to take your finals if you wanted - i.e. if you were borderline to push your grade up) - they ended up canceling the policy after about 2 years because kids were coming to school no matter how ill, just so they could skip finals.

That being said, it is still a nice program and if I was in high school, I'd have no problems spreading disease for the chance at a new car.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
perfect attendance through all 4yrs? damn, that's gonna tough. wouldn't have kept me in school, though. doubt it would've kept many of my friends, either. there were an unusual amount of funerals my fresh and soph years. jr and sr years...if you had less than 4 tardies, you were allowed to skip finals. i had 15 in one class (god damn girl distracting me), but the teacher let me slide by.

why not do it based on grades, instead? in 6th grade, i was having some family problems and missed a lot of days. so many that i got a letter telling me i was very close to being held back. i had straight As, though, and made up all my work. that made me mad.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i dont think the promise of a million dollars would have kept me in school all four years. i hated high school and went as little as possible.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I'm sure there will be quite a few students who will be eligible to win. Imagine coming to school sick, missing "ditch day," etc. and not winning the car...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
blt2ride said:
I'm sure there will be quite a few students who will be eligible to win. Imagine coming to school sick, missing "ditch day," etc. and not winning the car...
This may cause the kid who wins the car to have to call the police because some "hoodlums" damaged his pristine new vehicle.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
But does it have a Hemi???
That picture was taken about 5 minutes from my parents' house. When I was younger I used to ride my bike down the wall that's in the back ground. It's the basin near the 405 freeway...