Quantcast

Stay Safe Out There

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I was turned around by emergency responders this morning during my ride. I was passed by 2 fire trucks while I was on Watts Valley Road, and I watched a helicopter land as I approached the scene. Wasn't sure exactly what happened until now.

Pretty sure the driver that did this was in the group of 5-6 cars that flew past me as I approached Watts Valley Road. From what I gather, he was going too fast for a particular curve, and went wide into the oncoming lane.

I haven't ridden this route in 8 or 9 years for this exact reason; assholes driving too fast on narrow winding roads. I know this shit happens all the time (not to minimize this), but when it's this close, it makes me re-think sharing the roads with vehicles. All you guys that stick to the trails may be on to something.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
we had a guy-26yo-die on a local trail last week. wrecked on a steep rocky part and suffered massive trauma. someone else rode up on him and found him. can't say it doesn't cross my mind every once in a while when i'm bombing stuff at speed in the middle of nowhere by myself...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we had a guy-26yo-die on a local trail last week. wrecked on a steep rocky part and suffered massive trauma. someone else rode up on him and found him. can't say it doesn't cross my mind every once in a while when i'm bombing stuff at speed in the middle of nowhere by myself...
Probably fine

As ParmaJohnny recalls, he went to jump over a blind rise when on the backside of it his front wheel stuffed into a rock. The jarring impact caused the right side of his carbon fiber handlebar to snap clean off, sending him face first into the dirt.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What does this even mean?
The driver of the Acura attempted to curve, veering into the westbound lane in the path of the bicyclist.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
What does this even mean?
Yeah, I wouldn't expect any journalists in the Central Valley to be good examples of the profession. There is another article out there that is slightly more comprehensible, but it’s behind a paywall. The driver couldn't make the curve due to speed, went too wide and hit the cyclist.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I wouldn't expect any journalists in the Central Valley to be good examples of the profession. There is another article out there that is slightly more comprehensible, but it’s behind a paywall. The driver couldn't make the curve due to speed, went too wide and hit the cyclist.
Which for an NSX is going to be in excess of 2x the speed limit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The Fresno Bee discovering Frankenstein's Monster via Devin Nunes was pretty funny.

If you're willing to overlook the whole death of democracy aspect of it, I mean.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I don't cycle on the roads anymore, after getting hit 3 times while training for RAAM, I realized there are much safer places to ride than the fog line
I haven't gotten hit (yet) but I'm very selective about where I'll ride my road bike. Where I live is connected to several large subdivisions. I can link them all together, do a few laps and knock out twenty miles. Until I find another acceptable area, this is the only place I'll ride that bike. Most/many of the roads around here don't really have shoulders. I don't want any part of that these days.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I haven't gotten hit (yet) but I'm very selective about where I'll ride my road bike. Where I live is connected to several large subdivisions. I can link them all together, do a few laps and knock out twenty miles. Until I find another acceptable area, this is the only place I'll ride that bike. Most/many of the roads around here don't really have shoulders. I don't want any part of that these days.
My usual ride is a 30-38 (depending on how far you want to take it) mile out and back from my driveway, and I can do 98% of it never leaving a bike path or bike lane. Not that a bike lane would have made a difference here. I will definitely stick to that until I can find something comparable.

Watts Valley Road is a narrow, winding road with no bike lane. However, it is fairly heavily traveled by cyclists, so anybody driving out there would be aware that they're around. The cyclist was not alone, so there are witnesses. I'm hearing word that the driver may have been attempting to pass one of his buddies on the curve.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The driver couldn't make the curve due to speed, went too wide and hit the cyclist.
The most confounding thing about roadies around here is their love of Mulholland highway, which also happens to be on most "drives like an asshole" types bucket lists to go drive like an asshole on. So many car on bike accidents, yet Le Peleton is out there every weekend. I don't even particularly like driving it in a car due to the asshattery.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
The most confounding thing about roadies around here is their love of Mulholland highway, which also happens to be on most "drives like an asshole" types bucket lists to go drive like an asshole on. So many car on bike accidents, yet Le Peleton is out there every weekend. I don't even particularly like driving it in a car due to the asshattery.
I remember people talking about that, and I was like :think: no.

I stuck with Los Posas Rd. to PCH (asshattery went up on PCH however) or some roads out in Somis. Might all be dangerous now though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The ones that just blow my F-ing mind is when there is a perfectly good, safe, protected, bike path running along the road, and the person is still out there riding in the road or the bike lane. And most of the time, it's not some kitted out roadie on 20c tires that is sensitive to pebbles or whatever. When you see how people just drive IN the freaking bike lane all the time, wandering over, or driving with their cars offset because they want their body in the "middle of the lane", it just reinforces to me that you are putting yourself into a situation that you can't control. I obviously can't control every situation mountain biking...but I can control a freaking car coming from behind a bush and taking me out.

All I can think of is the "choose life" slogan when I see these riders.

The ones that just blow my F-ing mind is when there is a perfectly good, safe, protected, bike path running along the road, and the person is still out there riding in the road or the bike lane. And most of the time, it's not some kitted out roadie on 20c tires that is sensitive to pebbles or whatever. When you see how people just drive IN the freaking bike lane all the time, wandering over, or driving with their cars offset because they want their body in the "middle of the lane", it just reinforces to me that you are putting yourself into a situation that you can't control. I obviously can't control every situation mountain biking...but I can control a freaking car coming from behind a bush and taking me out.

I'm one of those riders. No buds, no electronic shit, be hyperaware.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

I luckily live in a country where motorists usually are good to cyclists and there are a ton of bike paths parallel to the road. Nevertheless, I have ridden on the road and not the bike path because some assholes think it is funny to throw bottles onto the bike path, resulting in shattered glass everywhere. :rant:
Kill list!

I luckily live in a country where motorists usually are good to cyclists and there are a ton of bike paths parallel to the road. Nevertheless, I have ridden on the road and not the bike path because some assholes think it is funny to throw bottles onto the bike path, resulting in shattered glass everywhere. :rant:
Kill list!
And, on "bike" paths, there are skaters and ebikes and walkers and Lance wannabes, all with 'pods and texting and yapping on their cell phones.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And, on "bike" paths, there are skaters and ebikes and walkers and Lance wannabes, all with 'pods and texting and yapping on their cell phones.
That's why I have 800mm bars and blind you lights. And laser beams. And bear spray.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I remember people talking about that, and I was like :think: no.

I stuck with Los Posas Rd. to PCH (asshattery went up on PCH however) or some roads out in Somis. Might all be dangerous now though.
Most of the area is still pretty safe to ride, but the big "driver's" roads are really bad. I stay clear of Mulholland, Decker, Kanan, Grimes and parts of Portrero. Las Posas isn't terrible, and PCH is pretty tame north of Malibu, its when you get down into the houses that it gets shitty IMO. The bike-path that used to only go between Ventura and Ojai now goes up to SB which is really nice, you can get a good long ride in totally separated from cars except for Upper Ojai and it's basically dead up there anyway.

To their credit CHP has cracked down on Mullholland significantly, but I still got passed by an Audi as if I was standing still while going 10 over Saturday night, dude crossed a double yellow in a blind curve to do it too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In town yes, but we have bike paths in between towns to avoid roads with heavy traffic. There you usually can go full speed w/o too many disturbances. Mopeds, electric and ICE, are allowed on those too though.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Definitely a pet peeve of mine. A courteous "On your left" or "Behind you" means nothing if the fuckers have ear buds in. Our bike path also has a very clear line dividing traffic going opposing directions. Many ignore it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I should probably go hunt out what the latest is on the perp who my wife and I witnessed deliberately plowing into two cyclists. I never got a call back for further witness statement, haven't heard how the more seriously injured of the two cyclists is doing either. I know initially she was effed up badly.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I should probably go hunt out what the latest is on the perp who my wife and I witnessed deliberately plowing into two cyclists. I never got a call back for further witness statement, haven't heard how the more seriously injured of the two cyclists is doing either. I know initially she was effed up badly.
I found a denverpost article from July. TL;DR: Not great news.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I rode all over the Santa Monica Mountains on my Colnago back in the 70s and 80s. Muholland, Stunt, Topanga, Las Flores, Latigo, Decker. But it was always early morning when the traffic was lighter and the ricky racers weren't out yet.

Same for the Santa Cruz Mountains. We always got off 9 and 35 by 10am. I can't tell you how many wrecks I worked on 9 and 35 when I was with Santa Cruz County Fire for the idiots racing on sport bikes and sports cars after 11am until 2 am the next morning. I stopped riding those roads around 2003 as it got too nuts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not sure what is more dangerous, riding quiet country roads with distracted drivers doing 60 MPH or bike lanes with distracted urban traffic going 20 MPH.

I will say it is more satisfying being able to catch up with someone at an intersection and curse them out.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
younger brother gave up road riding in bike friendly denver area because it is not that bike friendly anymore....

20221003_184305.jpg

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
cyclist gets whaled by a car on the wrong side of the road

"The bicyclist was said to be wearing protective gear and CHP officers say that the crash is still under investigation."

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I worked a head on Bike vs car crash on hwy 35. We got delayed to the scene by a pack of 50 roadies that would not pull over to let the fire engine get by on the twists and turns of the highway even with our lights and sirens on until we got on the PA and yelled move over you are holding us up getting to a cyclist hit by a car. We had the CHP stop the pack and watch while we packaged up the screaming bleeding cyclist while explaining to them that they made this guy suffer more because their heads were up their asses. We life flighted him off the highway. Funny how we never had a problem with the Spectrum Ride after that