Quantcast

Staying in whistler?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hey just wondering about staying in whistler.

Whats staying in Creekside like? is it a pain? Is it far better to stay in whistler village? (much more expensive)
I like having stuff around to eat as I eat a lot. ;-)

Trying to decide whether paying way more for the village is worth it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Creekside isn't really that far away; a few more minutes pedalling, but as long as you don't feel you need your gear bag, tools and stuff right nearby, it's not a big deal. Paved bike path runs between, so you don't even have to dodge cars on the highway.

I'm staying across the valley on Blueberry Hill (about as far) in August and don't anticipate any hassles.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I really like staying in the village and there a some good deals too especially if you are sharing with other riders. I normally rent from owners and stay at the Deer Lodge. There is always tons of stuf going on in Whistler in the evening too.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Creekside if you want a 'locals' vibe. There's a market, 2 pubs (one may close for the season if you get here after July 1), Lake and fewer tourons.
Village if you need to wander around in your Tapout shirt and get ****tered every night in the town with one of (the?) highest STD rates in North America.

Creekside FTW. It takes me under 10 minutes if i book it along the highway (nice shoulder usually, but construction work this year) to be at the lift. 15 minutes of cruising along the valley trail.
The only downside is the tired ride back home. But it's fairly flat.

Edit: Oh man it is pouring right now, i don't want to have to ride to the park in the rain.

There are buses with bike racks for $2 each way.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Does the free transit run down to Creekside? Yeah, it's lazy, but you mentioned the tired ride back. We stayed way up on Blackcomb a couple years back (Marriott) and used it a lot to get back up after a long day. Plus, it is its own thrill - - Middle Eastern bus drivers all drove taxis in Beirut in a past life, I think

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm lazy so have always stayed in the village. conveniently central & a couple minutes to the lift is where it's at - great to have quick access to your room. summer rates are pretty reasonable anyways.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ True that. Like you said, it's most flat/down back to Creekside anyway.

Oh, and I did pedal back up Blackcomb a lot too, so I'm not completely lazy. But the bus was a lot faster than me for sure.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'll be at the Marriot on Blackcomb again in August. You get a downhill ride out the door in the morning on the way to the village. The bus that comes every 30min? is nice. When I was going to shoot slalom at crankworx last year, I opened my bag and realized my camera was in the hotel room. I got it and got back pretty quick with the bus going up and riding down.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Village if you need to wander around in your Tapout shirt and get ****tered every night in the town with one of (the?) highest STD rates in North America.
Quoted for truth. I usually just stay at the village as we usually get a bunch of people to chip in on a condo so it ends up being pretty cheap.

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
I really like staying in the village and there a some good deals too especially if you are sharing with other riders. I normally rent from owners and stay at the Deer Lodge. There is always tons of stuf going on in Whistler in the evening too.
I just booked a room at Deer Lodge for a week in August. Whats their deal with bikes? are they allowed in the rooms? Couldnt get an answer from them. Thanks!

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I just booked a room at Deer Lodge for a week in August. Whats their deal with bikes? are they allowed in the rooms? Couldnt get an answer from them. Thanks!
they dont allow bikes in the rooms. That didnt stop us for the 3 times we stayed there tho :)

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Whistler Village Inn & Suites has always been affordable if you want to stay in the village. It's close and easy if you want to take breaks or work on your bike. (Oh yeah, they don't care about bikes in the rooms!)

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Whistler Village Inn & Suites has always been affordable if you want to stay in the village. It's close and easy if you want to take breaks or work on your bike. (Oh yeah, they don't care about bikes in the rooms!)
That's true. It's comfortably what I call "skier-beat" - - in that they don't seem to mind the dings and dents of people hauling gear in and out.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Deer lodge, when we went we arrived on saturday and nobody at front desk so it's win win deal! And they did see us with bikes on the weekday which they didn't say anything.