Quantcast

Steak. Mangrate.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Bought the Mangrate Grill Enhancement System. 3 huge cast iron grates that replace, or just sit on top of any standard BBQ grill.

Mangrate:

Next.... bought some steaks. Two 1.2lb ribeyes. and 3 fillets. Prepped with Sea Salt,butter and then oil... in that order godamit!

The fillets on the mangrate. Medium well for the women.

One of the ribeyes on the plate... Medium rare. With added butter and some olive oil.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
It's a flavor enhancer. Like MSG for your BBQ?
Well, thanks Mr. Wizard, I kinda got that from the "this is awesome, our steaks taste 10x better now" reviews on Amazon, but... it looks like it just provides additional contact points (or greater contact area, to be more exact) while removing the steak farther from the fire. Is there anything more to it than that, and is it something that can't be recreated by just getting a hotter fire closer to the steaks?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Well, thanks Mr. Wizard, I kinda got that from the "this is awesome, our steaks taste 10x better now" reviews on Amazon, but... it looks like it just provides additional contact points (or greater contact area, to be more exact) while removing the steak farther from the fire. Is there anything more to it than that, and is it something that can't be recreated by just getting a hotter fire closer to the steaks?
Higher thermal mass so grill doesn't cool when the cold meat hits it. Many higher end grills have cast iron grates already. This is a band-aid for a ****ty grill.
The real winner is to use a 1" thick piece of clean ground steel. Yes, essentially frying your steak on a 500 deg plate. Instant sear and no jiuce oozing out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The real winner is to use a 1" thick piece of clean ground steel. Yes, essentially frying your steak on a 500 deg plate. Instant sear and no jiuce oozing out.
Well yeah except you don't get any flavor from the fire. Might as well use a pan on the stove. I guess maybe it's not a big deal if you're using gas but that's another discussion/can of worms.

Cast iron works great for grills but I find that unless its enameled it's a bitch to keep clean and prevent rust.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Higher thermal mass so grill doesn't cool when the cold meat hits it. Many higher end grills have cast iron grates already. This is a band-aid for a ****ty grill.
This is why nothing works better than a screaming hot cast iron skillet immediately placed under the broiler.

Bacon

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Its a super heavy cast iron grate. There's a reason the best steakhouses cook on very heavy cast iron. Thin steel grates lose their temp when a cold steak is placed on it... On this, the iron is so hot and holds it's temp the whole time, sears the meat MUCH better.

I'll vouch, it's a good product.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Its a super heavy cast iron grate. There's a reason the best steakhouses cook on very heavy cast iron. Thin steel grates lose their temp when a cold steak is placed on it... On this, the iron is so hot and holds it's temp the whole time, sears the meat MUCH better.

I'll vouch, it's a good product.
Who the F puts cold steak on the grill? It's got to warm up to room temperature for at least an hour before it goes on, and I'll be experimenting with sous vide grilling at some point soon (sous vide'ing the steak for ~an hour before finishing it on the grill).

Don't know, would be interesting to try, but I've had great luck with a super-hot charcoal fire for ~4min per side (5 if there's a bone-in). We've got the charcoal baskets to keep the briquettes contained and direct the heat upwards, and the flames just about touch the meat. Gives a nice charrring (not in the pretty pattern, though) and have never had issues with steaks drying out.

Shrug, just trying to figure out whether it's worth spending the money to try it out.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Meh. My grill came with cast iron grates. And a separate searing burner.
I shopped around for a grill with good cast iron grates (i.e. thick). The grills that had quality grates were either gas (which I don't want), or near $1000 and that's way too much for a charcoal grill IMO.

So I took my old grill, and fixed it up for $60. Steaks taste just as good as if I spent $1000 and I have $940 more to spend on my bikes :)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I shopped around for a grill with good cast iron grates (i.e. thick). The grills that had quality grates were either gas (which I don't want), or near $1000 and that's way too much for a charcoal grill IMO.

So I took my old grill, and fixed it up for $60. Steaks taste just as good as if I spent $1000 and I have $940 more to spend on my bikes :)
Not bad I need to first purchase a back yard which will set me back 1 million dollars :mad: I will bookmark this thread for when that happens.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Then why not just do it inside on the stove with a nice Stainless-steel pan?