Quantcast

Stealth rubber for tight wads.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
OK, I've got a broken collarbone and I'm bored.
I have this magic stuff at home called Grip(http://www.griptyresoftener.com/index.asp), it is liquid hydrocarbon in a can, it is used to soften car tyres to give more grip for track days and the like.
I used it on a couple of old Maxxis 60a tires with good results, however this week I decided to see if I could turn a pair of Duffs I got dirt cheap into decent DH shoes. I have only been treating the front half of the shoe which comes into contact with the pedal. After a solid three coats the sole is starting to get quite tacky and after the next two, traction should be crazy good.
I'm not 100% sure if this will work on natural soles so I'd reccomend trying a small patch first.

If someone tries this could you let me know how it goes as I still have a few weeks til I can try it out.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
tune in next week folks when we'll be making our own lock-ons with jubilee clips and goggle lenses from drinks bottles...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
does it deteriorate rubber or renders it less durable?
Yes it will be less durable, there has to be a trade off.
I know it was banned in Australia in Go-Karting well over 10 years ago because it was seen as an unfair advantage and made racing more expensive as tyres wore out more quickly.