Quantcast

Steel Bars For Rigid ?

Bryan67

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Fresno, Ca.
I`m slowly collecting parts for my first 26 build (Union Street WCH). I am absolutely going with a rigid fork and want to know.... Should I run chromoly bars or can I get away with aluminum? I`ve been riding BMX for thirty years steel bars just come natural to me but I like the weight of an aluminum bar. Plus I have`nt really heard good things about the bending of steel bars. I`ll most likely go with Nemesis if I go this route. I`m an old guy so I don`t go big at all if that helps.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
the good thing about steel bars is that they bend, and when aluminum fails it snaps and i much prefer them to bend. i have the nempro bars and after using diabolous bars for over a year i can say that i like the nempros much better. i was riding bmx before mtb like you and the nempro bars feel identical to my bmx bars which was great. get the nempro stem too if you get the bars, its a sweet piece of cnc metal

Bryan67

Chimp
Nov 23, 2007
Fresno, Ca.
Thats cool. I just want to keep the weight down as much as possible but the Nemesis bars sound good. I`m going to run a bmx stem though. Got to keep it real.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
if you get steel bars make sure you get something that isn't too soft. steel is great for obvious reasons, but it seems that many steel bars bend super easily. i have been running rigid for a while and bent my steel bars like nothing. they weren't heavy duty but i was very surprised. i have also ran three different aluminum bars and haven't had one problem. i have actually abused the aluminum bars more then the steel ones.

just be careful, no matter which material you go with, focus more on strength then weight especially if you are a big guy. i think you will be ok either way if you choose thoughtfully.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
steelies for the two wheelies.
Can't wait to see your USB WCH build up, I always like seeing those popping up too.

Like eb said, I like both steel and alu, given you choose properly, but I like the more supple ride of the steel, esp. with rigid fork on the street rig. The alu. might transfer more shock vibration to your arms/hands, but again, depends on which model/alloy you choose.

But, you say you're going to rock the bmx stem, so that puts alu. bars out, no 22.2 dia. Steel is your only option.

I've got the NemPro bars too. Great stuff, nice width, bend, and sweep. But they are a bit overweight (as most steel bars are), so I drilled some "silencer" holes in the ends of mine under the grips.
Check out the Gusset Open Prisons too. Solid bmx makes some pretty cool custom bars too, try contacting Aaron there... ServeEm here has some wide ones on his USB Molly, and I've got a set of some smaller ones too.
There may be other bars coming out soon too! ;) ...hopefully.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
bump.. I want to stick with my protapers after I add a rigid fork, unless i end up needing a higher rise than 2". The bends are great, and they are light.

I mostly ride trails. anyone DJing with a rigid fork and aluminum bars?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I have the Answer Protaper aluminum bars on my rigid which are super light. All i did was deflate my front tire to 40 psi and it was all good.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
nice. i hope they do something tall to go on a molly with a tall setup. like 3.5" rise maybe even 4" rise 2 piece bars.
I think more like 2.7-3"

Wondering about the stem too...

I've got some S&M 5" rise 2pc bars that I tried to run on my Molly w/ a drop stem... Not good. Maybe for a really tall dude, but that's not me. You want'em? haha...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Got a pic?
hmmm, yeah, somewhere.

I know I actually posted up about them when I first got them... either here or on mtbr, or?? Posted some photos. But, I don't remember if I was just adding to an existing thread, or if I actually made a new thread... sorry, not much help on the search. :greedy:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'd probably get the 09 ns districts in 3.5" and an ody elementary 3.

But I'm still not convinced I need to sidegrade my current set-up. protapers and a thomson are a lot lighter... I guess I'll just ride them until they crack (which they probably won't barring a giant crash).

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
hmmm, yeah, somewhere.

I know I actually posted up about them when I first got them... either here or on mtbr, or?? Posted some photos. But, I don't remember if I was just adding to an existing thread, or if I actually made a new thread... sorry, not much help on the search. :greedy:

;)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...

ah, nice find detective.

I didn't find any problem with the bends, it was just that I couldn't get my hops to the same height... felt like I was manualling with my front tire only a few inches off the ground, even though it was easier to initiate, I didn't dig it. I'm 5'8".