Quantcast

Steel frame Bontrager XC frame?

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
So a co-worker of mine is selling me a steel Bontrager frame of unknown vintage. Does anyone know anything about Bontrager frames that they can share? I can't find much useful on what he made and when he made them on the web, and I don't know what this bad boy is. It's OX steel tubing, about 18", has wishbone style seatstay, and has a nifty little bolt-on anti chain suck device integrated into the chainstay. From what I've seen online, the Privateer didn't have a wishbone chainstay, so I'm stumped as to the model and year.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
gather up a serial number. bontrager is still around, they just aren't doing frames anymore. i'm sure if you emailed them with a serial someone there should be able to send ya something back in reguards to what the model of the frame is and other bits of info.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
It's my understanding that Bontrager frames have a 1" headtube, I believe they stopped making frames before the change to a 1 1/8". Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, rumor has it that Bontrager frames rode pretty well back in the day. I rode with a guy in college who had one and he raved about it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
reflux said:
It's my understanding that Bontrager frames have a 1" headtube, I believe they stopped making frames before the change to a 1 1/8". Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, rumor has it that Bontrager frames rode pretty well back in the day. I rode with a guy in college who had one and he raved about it.
They made 1" headtube frames AFTER everyone started to migration to 1-1/8". Rock Shox made a 1" OEM Judy for them for awhile too. (w/ ugly green lowers)

Sweet frames. I've had a few friends that owned older original Bontragers, (pre-Trek). They rode very nice. Even the later ones still felt great.

I have a Trek era Bontrager BMX that I love. Hard to go wrong w/ steel.

If you can find a 70mm - 80mm travel 1" fork, go for it. (good luck!!)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
marz used to make 1" forks as a custom order type deal. it was only available in certain model forks and you had to deal with a steel steerer

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
It is burgundy, white and yellow with a 1 1/8 inch head tube, and some really nice butterfly gussets under the top and down tubes. Paint's in great shape, der. hanger straight, and the anti-chainsuck plate is a really neat little gadget. I grabbed it from my coworker for a song because he didn't know what he had, and while I was talking about it to someone else another co-worker came by and said "WOW, I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A BONTRAGER!" Since it was too, small for me anyway I sold it for double what I paid for it to her and she gets the frame of her dreams for less than 50 bucks. Nice welds too, it's really to bad that it's at least two inches too small for me. I could have gotten into into a retro XC project bike...

pauljcat

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
Last edited: