Quantcast

Steel Frames?

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
I am slowly getting the funds together for a BMX and I have an opportunity to buy a steel frame for real cheap. I don't know much at all about BMX but I keep hearing about how all cro-mo frames are the way to go. Could someone with some knowledge on this subject tell me if it really matters which kind I get and possible the downsides of getting a steel frame? Weight is important to me because I ride trials and its taught me to hate heavy bikes, and saving money on the frame will allow me to buy much nicer parts for it.

Thanks

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Sheldon Brown said:
Steel:

An alloy of iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, copper, tungsten, vanadium or other metals, depending on the characteristics desired. Steels used in bicycle construction are commonly alloyed with chromium or manganese and molybdenum. Chromium/molybdenum or "cromoly" (CrMo) steel, also known by the numerical designation 4130 is particularly popular for high-quality bicycles.

Although steel is used for most high-quality bicycle frames, the use of steel instead of aluminum for many parts is often the result of penny pinching. Nobody should have to ride a modern bicycle with steel rims, brakes or handlebars. The only reason steel is now used for these parts is to scrimp on costs.

This was not always the case. As recently as the 1960's, steel was favored for many of these parts, particularly by the British. Indeed, for many years, Raleigh's slogan was "The All-Steel Bicycle". Steel parts of this era were often high in quality.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

There are varieties of steel, but Chromoly is the general term for good steels that are used in bicycle tubing. Other numbers (4130, 853, etc.) or names (Columbus, Reynolds, True Temper, Dedacciai) denote alloys, companies, and tubing types. There is even a stainless steel (953) now in limited use.

In the BMX world, Chromoly is usually touted as an upgrade to "high-tensile steel". That is a cheap, heavy steel used for inexpensive bike frames. You should stay away from it if you can afford it.

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
Steel is cro-mo, you're good to go! What frame is it that you're looking at?

Its a custom frame built by a guy in Peru. I know it sounds sketchy but everyone Ive spoken to about his frames really enjoy them. I'm having him build me a trials street frame and he does BMX street frames too so I thought it might be a good option. I guess I should ask him what type of steel he uses for the frames.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
absolutely find out what kind of steel it is. the difference between low end steel and high and steel is as great as the difference between steel and aluminum.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
just scroll through the frame options at empirebmx.com

everything they have will be all-4130 chromoly steel.

low end or mid-end bikes sometimes have three main tubes of 4130 chromoly and the rest of the frame is cheaper steel.

lower end bikes are all high-tensile steel.

Excellent complete BMX bikes to look at include FIT, KINK, HOFFMAN.

Kazkajo

Chimp
May 16, 2008
Hi, I have a steel mtb park bike too. it is a Armyy Bike from Peru. really good bike! nice geo, nice weight(3,1kg Frame), they made also BMX and DH frames. A lot of riders here in peru ride this bikes here in peru, and they take a lot of abuse and are really cheap.
check his website
www.armybikes.tk

Attachments