Quantcast

Steel hard tail frame recommendations?

dejacky

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
Has anyone experienced with riding all mountain / aggressive XC (with jumps) ever made the transition from a full suspension bike to a steel hard tail and was happier? I previously owned a 2008 Iron Horse MKIII Trail bike and loved it, except for the fact it was one size too small. So, I sold it, but never managed to create the budget to get another one.

So, I'm considering buying a high quality light-weight steel framed Hard Tail frame or bike that works well with my 130mm 2008 Manitou Minute MRD Absolute fork (20mm thru-axle option). Do any of you experienced MTBR have any brand/model suggestions?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I swapped that way once, but wasn't happy with it. There are some nice steel frames, but they're not always that much more affordable than a FS bike, especially from a fancy builder and/or with name-brand tubing. Depending on your weight and how stiff your cranks are, you might start hurting in your ankles/knees, too. If your rides include pavement mileage to and from the trail, then it might be a good compromise.

dejacky

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
Yes, my ride does include riding on pavement frequently. I'd say every other day, I'd like to ride this to/from Work as well. The other reason I'm attracted to a hard tail, is less maintenance without a rear shock. I'm gravitating towards steel because of its vibration absorption properties.

dejacky

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
Based on the reviews and prices of researched, I'm considering the 2009 DMR Trailstar if I can get it cheap enough. Does anyone have experienced with the DMR Trailstar steel hardtail frames and can shed some light on their experience with it?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Chain Reaction Cycles is a good place to look for reviews on British brands. I like the DMRs, I am building a Rhythm up right now.

I like hardtail steel much better than full sus. I like to hot dog my bike a lot, wheelies, drops and jumps, so hardtail is better for me. I would ride full sus if I wanted to just sit and crank all day.

flatt nutts

Chimp
Jun 21, 2009
indianapolis , indiana
after i got sick of the bounce i went with a banshee sirricco. best bike i have ever owned. i know it is not steel but it climbes a goat and has no flex what so ever. i do drops and jumps and still ride the trails. its not to ruff on you if you have a good seat.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My husband bounces between his Yeti 575 and his Kona Explosif (Steel SS HT). I don't know that he prefers the HT, but he doesn't seem to have any issues making the transition between the two on our technical XC trails (there are a few small drops too).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tons of options to consider now!

Transition Trans Am
Evil Sovereign
On One Inbred 456
Spooky Horror Taxi
Cotic Soul
Cotic BFe

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch

dejacky

Chimp
Jul 2, 2006
out of those recommendations, which one do you fellow monkeys think climbs the best with a 130mm fork?