Quantcast

Steel headsets with Steel frames

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not sure. i've got a steelset in my Giant DH frame, and it's probably there for life (although the shop did manage to get it out of the DHi). both of those frames were al, though. check w/ the manufacturer of the headset and see what they say.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Send me your IH frame and I'll tell you the correct answer to your question.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I put a CK steelset in a steel DJ frame once...no one could get it out, although we didn't try a machine shop. I hadn't considered corrosion to be an issue; isn't the CK set treated to prevent rust? In any case, anti-sieze would be a good idea.

Frank the Welder removed a stubborn steelset from an aluminum Nicolai HT frame for me, too. He or someone similarly equipped might be able to get one un-stuck from any frame.

MD

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
why would you do this???just out of curiosity, if you are talking about the ck steelset, it is honestly not necessary for most applications just get a regular aluminum one...just my thoughts i know a ton of guys that run ck 's on their dj bikes with no complaints...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
manhattanprjkt83 said:
why would you do this???just out of curiosity, if you are talking about the ck steelset, it is honestly not necessary for most applications just get a regular aluminum one...just my thoughts i know a ton of guys that run ck 's on their dj bikes with no complaints...
I did it b/c it was what I had...wasn't planned. If I was buying a new h/s and frame, I'd sure not do it again...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jncarpenter said:
...Name Dropper!!!! :p
Screw you...he was fixing my Nicolai at recommendation of Nicolai...and I figured he might be the guy to get the headset out at the same time, as I was planning on selling it anyhow.

Nice link... :p

MD

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
The silver based anti-seize is in some sort of petroleum goo which will prevent rusting. Any grease will work; just need to cut off O2 to the steel surface. I don't think steel on steel typically seizes like Ti on Ti or Al on Al. But steel rusting together is like welding the two pieces.