Quantcast

steel headtubes

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You can buy precut headtubes for road bikes but they are way too thin for anything aggressive. What you want is some straight gauge 4130 tubing. Wicks Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce can sell you what you need.

1.5 x .083 is really the only size that works. It leaves you just a little bit of material to ream out after the frame is done. If your headtube needs to be thicker, you'll need to braze on some reinforcing rings.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
buildyourown said:
Seriously dude, shut up.
Did you read the thread???? He said he is making his own frame and that he is looking for a headTUBE
If he is making his own frame, then why did he say: "No guys im not building a bike".

In that case, I hope you (Drop) are not thinking that you can "remove" the headtube from a frame and put on a new one... not gonna work.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
WheelieMan said:
If he is making his own frame, then why did he say: "No guys im not building a bike".

In that case, I hope you (Drop) are not thinking that you can "remove" the headtube from a frame and put on a new one... not gonna work.

Why don't you quote the whole post. It clearly states that he is looking for a HEADTUBE in order to modify a frame. Sounds like he's trying to put a shiver on a 50 or something similiar.

And you can remove headtubes and replace them with one of a different size if you know what you're doing. I've done this to a few old 1" frames including a Merlin.