Quantcast

Steel HTs

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Who is making the nicest steel HTs for aggerssive XC. Bang for the buck, on a budget review. Could it be....Evil? IF? WHO!

Pics encouraged.

We are talking LONG climbs...tech descents...airs...roll downs...you got the jist. Oh yea, frame as close to 5 lbs. as possible.

I guess there are endless options, really. I don't want to get all surly about this. I know we can't cover every option, but we can at least scratch the surface. Let's see your Steel steed?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Was that post a play on words or what!? :)

If you want a steel hardtail - why not look into going custom.

Say a Curtlo, or a Vulture, or a ByStickel (look him up via MTBR.com --- I have photos of his work and it kicks ass)

Just a thought.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've been on a steel hardtail for the past 4 years and I've loved every minute on my bike. That bike was a 2000 Dean Private with mostly 853 steel on it. I built up a Sycip hardtail this past Winter but might end up having to put the Dean together again. When working, that bike was a pretty damn nice ride. The Sycip is a xc hardtail, but (SPAM) if you're int the market for a hardtail like that, let me know.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I've never owned one, but the finest hardtail I've ever ridden was a Hunter. He's a Santa Cruz builder and makes amazing frames. Test riding it opened my eyes to how nice a custom steel frame could be. Unfortunately lack of funds bit me in the ass...so I bought a Surly Karate Monkey and built it up for well under the price of a custom frame. It's no Hunter, but it kicks ass and rides real well, especially for 300 for frame and fork.

The Ito

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've been riding my Voodoo since '98. Joe Murray designed, Tange Prestige tubing, handbuilt in the US...

The company is back in business! Assembly is now overseas, but the designs are still solid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
you guy will prolly laugh but heres my steel xc rig. Got it used without the handle bars, stem and crank set for $100 and had a profile racing stem and crowbar laying around plus had hussy cranks i threw on from an old p2. Turned out nice i think. Fraction of a cost of most bikes. I plan on putting a disc up front since i have one laying around. Gonna have to get a different hub and pick up a rigid fork with disc tabs on it. Notice the extremely oversized bash guard :D (hey it was in the parts box)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by yellowfox
you guy will prolly laugh but heres my steel xc rig.
Let's see..
Two wheels... Check
Chain... Check

...nope, nothing to laugh at there. I think it's pretty badass personally - hell, you've even got an Evil bashguard on there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
you guy will prolly laugh but heres my steel xc rig. Got it used without the handle bars, stem and crank set for $100 and had a profile racing stem and crowbar laying around plus had hussy cranks i threw on from an old p2. Turned out nice i think. Fraction of a cost of most bikes. I plan on putting a disc up front since i have one laying around. Gonna have to get a different hub and pick up a rigid fork with disc tabs on it. Notice the extremely oversized bash guard :D (hey it was in the parts box)

That is a cool Monocog!:cool:

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Thanks!

Know anyone wanting to sell a front disc wheel? I'm looking for one for it. I have rhyno lite xl's on it now and love em.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thanks!

Know anyone wanting to sell a front disc wheel? I'm looking for one for it. I have rhyno lite xl's on it now and love em.
Look in the buy and sell - I bet you can find something nice.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I love my I.F. Deluxe although I wouldn't call it an "aggressive" bike by any definition. I've been beating on it fairly hard since '97. It is mainly used for XC and more abusive rides are usually on my Yeti or Chameleon.

Indy Fab will build a burlier frame for you if you want, but be prepared for some serious sticker-shock and a long wait. :(