Quantcast

Steel or aluminum for 4X?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Just getting into this 4X stuff and digging it so far, just looking for some opinions on frame choices though. I'm one of the few remaining believers in aluminum frames. Not sure why, I just seem to prefer their feel over steel. All my street bikes have been steel except for my last one, a short STP2. I liked it the most. Maybe it's the instant loss of 3 pounds? I dunno.
I really haven't followed along with many 4X builds, so I don't know what people are running. Anyone prefer the crispness of Al over steel? Or the slight forgiveness of steel over Al?
There are many, many bikes I would like to have, but the two I'm currently deciding between are a Scott Voltage and a Mongoose Ritual. The Mongoose is cheap and I can change up the WB a bit, but the TTs are a bit long on those, I believe..like 23+" effective. But it will be heavier and I've never sat on one yet. I've ridden a Voltage and it was SUPERB feeling. Twice the price of the Mongoose, but that was because it was new, the Ritual is slightly used. I'll be upgrading components no matter what, but I'm stuck with what comes on the frames for a little while.
And feel free to spam me with adequate bikes for sale, I don't mind at all! Cheap is key!

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Aluminum would be better imo since your not going to be taking any hard hits so the lightness will pay off.

But have you ever considered BMX racing?

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
The 4X tracks that been out there, are pretty narly and when not riding smooth, there are a lot of harsh impacts. I think that Alu is stiffer and therefore gives more power to the drive train, but i prefer the "feel" of steel.

You can ride both and it's all between the ears on how fast you can go on it.
Just trust your feeling and not go with others opinions, because it's you on the bike and not the "others"

People have different opions, everybody has 1 :banghead:

Cheers

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Aluminum would be better imo since your not going to be taking any hard hits so the lightness will pay off.

But have you ever considered BMX racing?

Have you seen the 4X tracks of late?? Like they threw a line of Djs into the middle of a DH course and then added 3 other riders at the same time. It'll be taking some hits. Hell, the track I just built for our grassroots race has a 30' road gap to a relatively flat tranny. But I do think Al would be just fine.

And no BMX racing. I'm 36 years old and I ride big boy bikes!:happydance:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
You could race your 26" on a BMX track as long as it is an ABA. Anything 24" and bigger qualifies for Cruiser class.

I would prefer Aluminum for 4X. You have a lot of torque and force with the cornering and quick pedaling. I would want a stiff application for that.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
The BMX track issue is moot anyway as there isn't a track within 800 miles of me! Seriously!

I think either would be just fine, just didn't know what the majority of peeps are running and why. Just like the Steel for Street saga...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Crap! Well thanks for that, it atleast puts me in the right direction! I WAS actually leaning towards the Scott AL bike, but now I'm thinking steel. Can't really afford anything in Ti...haha!
So all I need is the weight of aluminum with the flex of steel and I'm butter!

Pretty funny....I'll actually be racing this track, the one I built(!!!), on my 10" travel ECD!!! Haha! Atleast I won't be easily shoved off the course... :)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I was going to say a small BottleRocket or Sinister GRUITR and keep the shock still as hell especially with that 30 footer to flat set. But Dan's interview seems like people are going away from sussy rigs - at least at the pro level.

I'd say for a HT go with steel, I can see where Dan is coming from as a 4X track will have some bumps and an alloy HT will bounce a bit where a steel (or Ti) will give a bit more.

As far as what steel frame? Dare I say Azonic Steelhead? I know you are tough on equipment but maybe it could work. It does fit the cheap part of your request.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I strongly considered it, especially considering that I have rider support from them. But it's a 7+ pound frame and they don't make the aluminum version anymore!(Evolution was it? No...DS1!) I'm working on them but don't know what'll happen. I can't afford to build a bike right now. In a rush for one, and building is always WAY more expensive than buying a complete, especially a Scott Voltage that's been sitting on the shelf for a year or two! I'm going back to the Scott plan now since I'm still needing something for XC, a little street, some DJ/4X as well as and cruisin to work. I think later I'll pick up a 24" BMX heavy cruiser and designate it as the street/jump rig.
I have no intentions of going pro with this 4X thing, just wanna build the courses! Turns out I'm good at it and it's kinda what all my DH lines turn into. Strange. I've always wondered what my trails would be considered until I built a 4X track. I just thought of them as flowy DH lines that were over buffed and polished to perfection! Oh...they are! Now they just have a name...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Here is a pic from a 4x track that I built with Phil Saxena

I would run full suspension for the new courses but then again you are screwed for the gate. We need handle bar mounted lockout rear shocks for the future of 4x, IMO.