Quantcast

Steer Tube Replacement

TeKon

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
Is it possible to replace the steer tube on my Rock Shox? The front shocks were previously installed in an older smaller bike, now I want to put them into a bigger bike of mine but the steer tube doesnt have enough clearence. The tube itself is 6.5" while the neck on my bike is 5.5" and which the bearings I have very little room to work with. Ive thought:

a) Press out the steer tube on my Rock Shox, and fab a new longer one and press that one in or

b) Grind the neck on my bike shorter (not much room to work with, may only gain a 1/4"

I work in a machine shop so either solutions in my mind will work, and I have the tools available. Im just worried about pressing out the steer tube as I dont want to damage the forks in anyway. To get it out the shocks will compress. Should I fully dis-assemble the shocks before attempting (a) ?

Also would cooling the steer tube with dry ice be beneficial before attempting to press it out?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Neither A or B are recommended. The steerer tubes are a one time install per crown only. If you try to press it out and install a fresh tube, you can seriously risk a massive failure. Grinding your frame is just ghetto. You could risk bearing and/or frame integrity

All you can do in this case is either buy a new lower crown with a fresh steerer tube, find a used one which fits your needs, or find a used fork and scavenge the parts you need. Hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
You also didn't mention what fork it was or if it's a Single or Dual crown. Dual crown forks make the process a bit easier as you just buy a fresh lower crown with an uncut steerer. If you have a single crown fork, you can send it back to RockShox and they can press in a new steerer (don't do it yourself, the specs and tolerances are very tight and unless you know what they are it won't matter whether or not you work in a machine shop), or send you a new crown/steerer/stanchtion assembly. If they send you the latter, you will have to rebuild your fork.