Quantcast

Steerer tube length???

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hypothetical question:
Say you want to take a fork from frame A and install it on frame B. Frame B has a .8 inch longer head tube than frame A. You plan to use the same stem. There are no spacers beneath the stem on frame A. What are the options here? Basically I'm asking if there is a viable way to lengthen a steerer tube. Any thoughts?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
two options:
1. get a zero stack headset... this drops the stack height a bit up front.

2. Get one of em Azonic headlocks... You have to punch the star nut out of the fork bec the headlock (I'm sure you know this) goes through the top and bottom of the steerer tube.

I have been switching forks left and right and from lessons learned I leave a ridiculous amount of steerer tube length ever since. But a couple of times, I have ran steerer tube barely making halfway or just pass halfway through the stem... This is really a safety concern so I'm not condoning it but I had to run it that time and nothing failed. If this will be the case, you really have to do a couple of things.. One: Get a longer stem cap bolt (preloading the headset-stem down).. due to the shorter than normal steerer tube length, the stock bolt will barely hold the cap onto the star nut...so go longer. Two: Get a headlock... Nothing will budge in this area if you put a headlock..

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Please don't do it if there is that little insert, you might find your self trying to steer with will power.
If you feel like swapping guts and sliders you can usually get a steerer/stanchion assembly. You might even contact the manufacturer and tell them the problem, cry a little, they might cut you a deal.