Quantcast

Stem Cells and Intellectual Property

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, now that Bush is getting ready to use his first veto in 5 years, this is a good time to ask the question:

What happens if stem cell research in other countries develops treatments for disease? Are we not going to be allowed to use them here because Dobson doesn't like it, or are we suddenly going to ignore IP laws (because it won't be cheap...if you were South Korean, would you want to save a American life for free?)

It'll be interesting to see the free marketers spin when they can't afford Alzheimer's treatments for their parents. I bet IP laws get thrown out the window faster than Michael Jackson on a naked child lubed up with cooking oil...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
There are already stem cell treatments being used in Europe and as you said, places like South Korea, albeit rudimentary. Blocking stem cell research is one of those really retarded things like not putting money into spaceflight because we might upset god or something.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm not wondering about the development so much as the use.

Remember the anthrax scare? IP laws for the makers of Cipro got tossed aside pretty quickly, if I recall correctly.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don't know enough about IP to comment really well. I just hope stem cell research is allowed and encouraged to develop into all it can be. If that means IP is partially hijacked then so be it, as long as it does not retard the overall development of the science, which I suppose might be quite likely.