Quantcast

stem idea

proanti1

Chimp
Sep 24, 2005
okay, this might not work too good for mountain bikes, but may be a good idea for road bikes. i want to try to mill a stem out of plexiglass or acrylic stock, does it seem like a good idea?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
proanti1 said:
okay, this might not work too good for mountain bikes, but may be a good idea for road bikes. i want to try to mill a stem out of plexiglass or acrylic stock, does it seem like a good idea?

It doesn't. Wouldn't it be heavier than a standard alum/carbon stem?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind you try to overbuild products for the worst possible scenarios: either repeated out-of-the-saddle exertions (over years) or a couple of crashes.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
it would look cool yes. but it would not work at all. Just the force needed to tighten the clamp bolts would probably be enough to introduce cracks. Maybe out of Lexan, but still I wouldn't try it, not even for road biking.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
Benton said:
it would look cool yes. but it would not work at all. Just the force needed to tighten the clamp bolts would probably be enough to introduce cracks. Maybe out of Lexan, but still I wouldn't try it, not even for road biking.
i agree... looks cool but would deffently sent some splinters down when you try tightening the clamp bolts. and even if u made it out of the "unbreakable" "allmighty" lexan it would do the same thing just after you tighten up the clamp bolts then go ride a few times. trust me lexan isnt as strong as they say it is. i use it on my robotics team at school and it says that a 4'x4' square can hold like 185~195lbs but i cant.(tried lifting a 180ish kid on it and it completly snapped after holding him up for 20 seconds)