Quantcast

Stem Length

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
hey what's the logic of slamming the stem and getting higher rise handlebars vs adding stem spacers? Is there any? Is the thought that bars will keep your hands at the same extension but higher or lower, whereas spacers will pull them back behind the axle?

or is it just vanity [SLAM THAT STEM]

woody used to have this ibis mojo that I thought rode like shit and I couldn't figure out why. My guess was the stack of spacers under the stem but I never dicked around on it enough to figure out. I usually keep my bars low regardless of setup
well, for me at least, mainly it’s just that I am 6’2’’ (not that tall!), so finding long enough reach up til recently was really hard. So a slammed 35mm rise bar (vs a 20mm rise bar w/ 15mm spacers) adds about 6mm of reach.

this is doubly important when you long-fork a bike, which both takes away reach and adds stack.

If I wound up on a too-long reach bike, I’d get a low rise bar and add spacers under the stem to shorten it a bit.

but anyhow, having a few eBay sniped bars and stems in the garage is good to mess around with til the front end is dialed.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks, my Capra came with a 40 mm stem.

I'd throw a 50mm Thomson that I have on there right now, but the dang Capra has 35mm bar diameter, and I have glued on grips, etc.

I could use a tiny bit more room in the cockpit too, so I'm eager to try the longer stem.

45-50

I'd go fiddy

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Thanks, my Capra came with a 40 mm stem.

I'd throw a 50mm Thomson that I have on there right now, but the dang Capra has 35mm bar diameter, and I have glued on grips, etc.

I could use a tiny bit more room in the cockpit too, so I'm eager to try the longer stem.
you can usually find the Raceface aeffect-r stems for like $25 on PB or Ebay. May or may not be the stem you want forever, but it’s a really cheap way to try it, and easy to flip again if you need/want later.

Just a thought.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well, for me at least, mainly it’s just that I am 6’2’’ (not that tall!), so finding long enough reach up til recently was really hard. So a slammed 35mm rise bar (vs a 20mm rise bar w/ 15mm spacers) adds about 6mm of reach.

this is doubly important when you long-fork a bike, which both takes away reach and adds stack.

If I wound up on a too-long reach bike, I’d get a low rise bar and add spacers under the stem to shorten it a bit.

but anyhow, having a few eBay sniped bars and stems in the garage is good to mess around with til the front end is dialed.
thanks, this helps with fitting and stem length. I run flat bars and recently raised them via spacers, perhaps I should drop them or swap my riser bars back in. The reach on my bike isn't that long and it fits perfect when slammed, not sure I want it shorter. Is it really 16.9mm with 15mm of spacers? That seems huge but I'm way to lazy to do the trig on it. [edit did the trig and it's like 13.5-13.9mm depending on HA for 15mm]

So, while this helps with reach measurement and fitting, anyone gander a guess as to how it affects handling? or does it not? I'm always trying to quantify weird shit I feel on the bike, and his bike was like a circus bike- it felt weird as shit and you guys know the trash I usually ride. He had like a 50 or 60mm stem and like I said, maybe 20-25mm of spacers under it. Does pulling that reach back affect the hand to axle characteristic or something? Some aspect of trail?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
We all know he'd have gone faster on a roadbike with 700x25s and drop bars if they'd simply bothered to tarmac his course down that that hill?

That, and ceramic speed jockey wheels. obviously ;)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
thanks, this helps with fitting and stem length. I run flat bars and recently raised them via spacers, perhaps I should drop them or swap my riser bars back in. The reach on my bike isn't that long and it fits perfect when slammed, not sure I want it shorter. Is it really 16.9mm with 15mm of spacers? That seems huge but I'm way to lazy to do the trig on it. [edit did the trig and it's like 13.5-13.9mm depending on HA for 15mm]

So, while this helps with reach measurement and fitting, anyone gander a guess as to how it affects handling? or does it not? I'm always trying to quantify weird shit I feel on the bike, and his bike was like a circus bike- it felt weird as shit and you guys know the trash I usually ride. He had like a 50 or 60mm stem and like I said, maybe 20-25mm of spacers under it. Does pulling that reach back affect the hand to axle characteristic or something? Some aspect of trail?
Wait. What?
See calculator #4 HERE: https://www.analyzemath.com/Geometry_calculators/right_triangle_calculator.html
15mm spacers is ~13mm more stack and ~6mm less reach @ 65deg HA

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Put the calculators away and set-up your steering by feel

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Maybe I am confused, but wouldn't spacers only change the vertical z axis and not reach. Reach is a horizontal value, all spacers do is change the angle of reach and I am sure that would influence rider's perception of control inputs, I just can't see how the reach value would change.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Maybe I am confused, but wouldn't spacers only change the vertical z axis and not reach. Reach is a horizontal value, all spacers do is change the angle of reach and I am sure that would influence rider's perception of control inputs, I just can't see how the reach value would change.
if you had a 90deg head angle, yes.

Because when you have a head angle less than 90deg, the spacers are the hypotenuse connecting “X-reach” and “Y-stack”, forming a triangle.

Last edited:

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Spacers don't change reach at all
or stack for that matter

you can change both with this though...

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers

There's just the two manners of vertical and horizontal to contend with. The wisest physicist will openly state they don't know why the laws of physics exist; a longer lever will always do more work.
The longer lever on the steer tube can stand the bike up in corners if energy has nowhere else to go. A shorter lever there will also require change to get the front wheel in the air - it's not the right rise stem and sweep of handlebars to compensate for giving up the ghost of frame reach measurements.

My Body Geometry Specialized gloves have 5mm of padding on one of the two pair. Should I get a 145mm stem on the Ridley when riding in these gloves??

This is what's wrong with the Industry - it's becoming too smart for its own good.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A longer stem also makes the bars shift side to side when you steer, at least at slower speeds. Offset shifts the front wheels contact patch to the outside of the turn, stem shifts your weight to the inside of the turn assuming a neutral riding position.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I've settled on a slammed 40mm stem with 41° offset fork. It's the best compromise of steering input and traction. A longer stem (45-50mm) give me the room I want, but numbs the feeling of what the front tire is doing....for me.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This guy

was a newb on a Yeti in your "area" not so long ago.

Jus sayin'

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So do those little rotors on such burly looking tires and stuff. The seat also looks like its pointed to the ground...

Still waiting for my 50mm stem to show up from Chromag. Where the heck are you Fedex man????

Also purchased some Squarewave grips. Looking forward to trying those out.
My 1 day shipping from Chromag took 4 days. Might be worth calling them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll admit that's one of the few things he's ever done that's actually informative and not flat out dangerous. Exactly what you should expect from dirt roadie in marin.......

But if you needed an engineer's draft to understand all the things that affect hand position, please do the rest of us a favor, sell your bikes to someone more deserving and go jump off a bridge.