Quantcast

Stem/Long Stem

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm having a hard time deciding between stem lengths before ordering a new Sunline direct mount. I previously had an e13, which was not compatible with my H-bar, so I need to pick something else up. The adjustable twenty6 is a tad too expensive, as is the straitline. Sunline is the right price and comes in 42 or 50.

I had run the e13 at 55 originally, but it was a bit too stretched out and nervous at areas like plattekill, but worked fine for Highland. The 45 felt great at platty and OK elsewhere. There's no 50 setting, so I don't know how that will feel, and 42 is even shorter...Should I pick the short stem or the somewhat longer one? Can anyone define what happens as your stem gets shorter more clearly than "the steering slows down"? I already have ape hangers, I don't necessarily need super slow steering. Bike is a medium IH sunday.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I have nothing to add, other than "thanks for prompting my current musical selection, it's been too long" :)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just went from a 40mm stem to the Sunline 42mm. Length change wasn't really noticeable. Tried the 50mm first and it was very different - although for me it slowed the handling down too much rather then "speeding" up the steering. The front end just felt too floppy with the 50mm unless I steepened up the head angle.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Longer will give you more leverage to control the bike for/aft in the air(to lift the back wheel, and weigh the front tyre to get traction), shorter is more precise steering, as one hand goes back, the other goes forward instead of both hands sweeping around in an arc out in front from left to right. Vague description, but I hope you get my point. Jump on an XC bike with a long stem to get what I mean if need be. Shorter is closer to the axis of steering.

Last edited:

creddy

Chimp
Sep 2, 2009
Fresno, CA
A longer stem will give you more leverage over the front end, and make turning much easier. It will be better on slow, super technical trails, but will make the front end "twitch" at higher speed. With the longer stem, you get more control, but the bike gets more control of you. A shorter stem will give you a little less control at low speed, but it will be munch more stable at higher speeds. A 50mm-60mm stem length is where you should be aiming. Slow turning will still be easy at slow speeds. You shouldn't have a problem. Also, a shorter stem will put your weight back more. When riding, I don't know where you balance yourself, so this may be a good thing. It may not.

*Note*
When I'm talking about the longer stems, I'm thinking of 80mm and up.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
another thing to think about is bar sweep, does your new bar have more or less and where does it start bending. A bar with a lot of sweep may need to be run with a longer stem, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks for the tips, peepgang. I know 8 mm is not a big difference, but I'm just unsure of whether the change would be for the better, not noticeable, or worse. Since it's not adjustable, I'd like to pick the right one the first time. I've never fully understood the effect on steering that stem length has, except that generally shorter means "more controllable" and longer means the opposite, but the phrasing or quantification is difficult.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
thanks for the tips, peepgang. I know 8 mm is not a big difference, but I'm just unsure of whether the change would be for the better, not noticeable, or worse. Since it's not adjustable, I'd like to pick the right one the first time. I've never fully understood the effect on steering that stem length has, except that generally shorter means "more controllable" and longer means the opposite, but the phrasing or quantification is difficult.
Think of it as how it actually works when you look down at the stem.

A longer stem puts your hands and therefore your weight further toward the front axle, which means you get more pressure on the front wheel for the same effort, body english, etc. It lets you get into the fork travel easier. It also gives you more steering leverage, but the steering feels more indirect.

Shorter stem effectively makes the front wheel lighter, less pressure for the same effort, body english, etc. Steering is more direct-feeling.

I think the place where you'd notice 8mm difference the most is an extended steep section, or very slow twisty stuff.

The problem with words like "twitchy" is that a lot of people seem to think of different things with "twitchy."

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nobody can get it to me for less than $40 more than the sunline...I would love one, and the adjustability, but that's a tough price and the yellow isn't "gold" enough to match the rest of the bits to justify the bling.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Nobody can get it to me for less than $40 more than the sunline...I would love one, and the adjustability, but that's a tough price and the yellow isn't "gold" enough to match the rest of the bits to justify the bling.
Just think of all the chicks you'll get just by sporting one:thumb::D That kinda sounded odd:think: