Quantcast

Stem spacing question. Stem rise?

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I know there are specific parts that fit between your top crown and your stem to raise your front end a bit. Would using 1mm - 2mm regular spacers work just as well for this? I know the entire surface area would not be covered underneath but does anyone see any massive issues with using 4 spacers to raise a stem 2mm instead of a hundred dollar part?

Chris

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Works makes a spacer for boxxers and can make them for other bikes.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I like mine.

workscomponents.co.uk

richiedelf

Chimp
Apr 27, 2012
Chamonix
I would't trust it. Why not running a spacer underneath the crown?
I would run the spacers under the crown, if your stantions are long enough for what you want to achieve. I've seen tons of bikes come out of the box/shops like that. Especially the new Glory, as the giant direct mount stem isn't big enough to have the spacers running inside it.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks man.

I am just curious from an engineering stand point? I cant see why it wouldn' be any less safe then just having the stem on top of the crown.

I ran it the other night at my local DH trails and I noticed a difference in the steep stuff, felt like I could get over the front of the bike a bit more, and that was only with 1mm spacers. Crazy what makes a difference on these machines.