Quantcast

Stem Time

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, so I am in a small pickle. I want to go riding downhill, but can't till I get a new stem.

I could wait a couple of weeks and get the Canfield stem. Or I could just go on now, and buy a Twenty6 F1 stem. Do you think the drop of the Canfield stem is all that much better? Oh, and they are almost the same price anyways.

Thanks guys.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you want those low bars, wait -- if you were just getting em 'because' then MEH, get some bling and move along, nada por vu a qui... (or w/e - my Spanis es baaaad)

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
DO you think the dropped bars will provide a significant mechanical advantage?

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Get a Sunline or Twenty6 so you can get out and ride. They both maintain their value and are hot items so you can easily resell them if you decide you have to have the Canfield Stem.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Get a Sunline or Twenty6 so you can get out and ride. They both maintain their value and are hot items so you can easily resell them if you decide you have to have the Canfield Stem.
Very true... Very true...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
True. If it's killing you that your front end is too high, buy some flat bars; there are many available. I find the concept of riser bars and a drop stem to be...lacking common sense.

That being said, there's also the straitline, which is shipping now. Who knows when the unobtainium canfield stem will be out. In the meantime, I think I'm going to order up a twenty6. Love the colors and the adjustability...plus the whole "locally owned" small business thing works for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Remember that 5-7 years ago people were using 2" rise bars, minimum, non-direct mount stems, and stack heights the size of a VW beetle. Terrain hasn't really changed, just rider preference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I find it funny that people actually think that a lower bar will make their ride better, that is personal references and not right/wrong. :P
fixed

I agree but it is so hard to resist.............all the cool kids are doing it.:thumb:
In terms of the trends of lower stems/stack heights (and wider bars):

Yes, they have been getting popular. But people aren't making the change just because its the cool thing to do... there are actual performance benefits from them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And there were performance benefits to taller stack heights and taller bars....mostly for hucking and steep terrain...but still. Not everybody needs 32s and clamp-ons.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .

Yes, they have been getting popular. But people aren't making the change just because its the cool thing to do... there are actual performance benefits from them.
This is true, there are performance benefits, but at the end of the day it still boils down to personal preference.

I am enjoying my direct mount stem, low rise, wide bars, but I wouldn't have got them if I didn't see Sam Hill running them first;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Remember that 5-7 years ago people were using 2" rise bars, minimum, non-direct mount stems, and stack heights the size of a VW beetle. Terrain hasn't really changed, just rider preference.
And people were also riding bikes with 15+" bottom bracket heights. Vertical distance from the pedals to the bars hasn't changed as much as the trend to lower front ends might indicate.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009

and this means everyone who is following the fad is actually realizing the performance benefits?

even the e-riders who just pose their bikes in pictures, and never ride them?

so many people do what they think looks cool, or looks moto, or looks like what their hero-of-the-day/week/month/season rides.

what matters is what works, not what looks cool. but I know, this is an e-forum, where there's all sorts of bench racing and e-riding. I tend to be skeptical about people's claims on how a given part changed their life for the better. most people I've known who have made such "upgrades" were merely justifying their expenses paid for the "upgrade," not demonstrating an actual improvement.

so for anyone who actually has improved their riding, cornering, bike handling by going to low, low, low, low and wide, wide, wide, wide bars -- then that's good. but for a lot of riders, IMO, it makes an artificial position. not every rider has the reflexes and skills to ride with super-low hands.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
and this means everyone who is following the fad is actually realizing the performance benefits?

even the e-riders who just pose their bikes in pictures, and never ride them?

so many people do what they think looks cool, or looks moto, or looks like what their hero-of-the-day/week/month/season rides.

what matters is what works, not what looks cool. but I know, this is an e-forum, where there's all sorts of bench racing and e-riding. I tend to be skeptical about people's claims on how a given part changed their life for the better. most people I've known who have made such "upgrades" were merely justifying their expenses paid for the "upgrade," not demonstrating an actual improvement.

so for anyone who actually has improved their riding, cornering, bike handling by going to low, low, low, low and wide, wide, wide, wide bars -- then that's good. but for a lot of riders, IMO, it makes an artificial position. not every rider has the reflexes and skills to ride with super-low hands.
Thanks for the lecture dad... :rant:

Also, wide wide wide bars are a good thing. But on your note... I cannot comment on a lower stem height yet.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
It seems obvious that a lower bar is going to be a good thing for short riders. Also lowering your weight on the bike is a good thing too but being lowlowlow isn't great either. If your 6 feet tall, maybe it won't help you ride better but then again, I like how it feels and i'm 6'. It's not for everyone but alot of people are going to great lengths to get the front of there bike lower, ie 1.5 headtube and internal headsets, when a lower stem doesn't mess with the head angle or add 1/4 lb to the frame.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
To be honest the wider bars are more comfortable for me( 6' 4" w/the wingspan of a terradactyl). I just recently got a direct mount so I could adjust my bar height more easily, still playing w/it, but I've noticed I'm more comfortable and feel more balanced on the bike with my stem higher(also probably has more to do w/my direct mount being longer than my old stem).. I also haven't been washing out at easily..