Quantcast

Stems and tires...

Do aesthetics matter to you???

• Yes - labels must line up in the center of the writing.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • No - I lack so much self respect that it doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Definitely - I can't even have tires without labels on both sides of the tire.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Who cares??? It's a bike.

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
J

JRB

We are an anal retentive bunch. I'll bet we'll find that most cyclists are.

J

JRB

Dents and scuffs I can live with. Something that looks like I don't care, I can't deal with. The tire thing is really the aesthetics I refer to. I love when parts can match, and try on new bikes, but once things are going, I let it slide. Tire labels must line up for me.

*note - my Giant Reign that should be coming soon is coffee colored and I haven't seen it up close, so colors don't matter too much. I do wish it was electric apple like BS's new Bullit though. That color is hot.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
loco said:
We are an anal retentive bunch. I'll bet we'll find that most cyclists are.
No sir, just because a few persons on the intrawebbe blather on about nonsensical garbage all day doesn't mean they represent a high faction of their bikey brethren.

That's like saying if N8 repetively posts about 29ers, claiming them to be all the rage, that it'll actually be so.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I pedal so hard that the tire spins on the rim anyway, so its not like it would last...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Who cares? Some people do, I suppose. I certainly don't.

I love the "the labels have to line up so you can find the valve" argument. If you can't find the valve in less than 10 seconds consider taking up finger painting instead...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I only do it that way because that's how I was taught as a kid. It's not for looks, it's for quick reference where your stem is.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
On my own bike, I don't care about such things. If I'm building one for someone else then I take the time to do everything right. Tire labels lined up with valve stems, name on the headset cups lined up, hub label facing the valve hole, top cap oriented if the design on it isn't multi-directional, etc. Same goes for product photo stuff although that rarely works out for a few reasons.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
jimmydean said:
I only do it that way because that's how I was taught as a kid. It's not for looks, it's for quick reference where your stem is.
i thought that's why you stole chrome caps off of cars for....:confused:

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Lining up the labels, valve stem, and rim markings is so when you get a puncture you can go straight to the area on each bit to see if there is a thorn/nail/broken bit of rim/small animal, etc etc in there causing punctures.

Plus it looks like you care about your machine.
Of course if you dont care, then meh!

Percy said:
Lining up the labels, valve stem, and rim markings is so when you get a puncture you can go straight to the area on each bit to see if there is a thorn/nail/broken bit of rim/small animal, etc etc in there causing punctures...
:stupid: Actually, though, when I take time with this detail, I center the labels opposite the stem.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
For me, things line up because that is the way I was taught and that is the way I do things. Attention to detail, etc, etc.

As for other people's bikes, I don't care if their stuff doesn't line up or if it does. That's their preferance. As long as they are friendly and cool to ride with, who cares?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
jet said:
I thought the manufacturer's name had to be centered...

That's how I do it.

Oh, yeah.. I thought I lined up the valve stem, but I don't. I line up the maxxis logo with the mavic 721 sticker on each rim.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
So we're still at the point that there is no valid reason to line up your tire text with your stem. It is completely unnecessary and it doesn't add to the aesthetic appearance of the bikey to the non anal eye.

This myth has officially been BUSTED!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Skookum said:
So we're still at the point that there is no valid reason to line up your tire text with your stem. It is completely unnecessary and it doesn't add to the aesthetic appearance of the bikey to the non anal eye.

This myth has officially been BUSTED!

Apparently you missed Percy's post...

Percy said:
Lining up the labels, valve stem, and rim markings is so when you get a puncture you can go straight to the area on each bit to see if there is a thorn/nail/broken bit of rim/small animal, etc etc in there causing punctures.
...as a valid reason for lining up the valve stem with the label on the tire.

Though it's not for style, I say this Myth is Plausible.

Mike

I have it tucked into the back of my bald noggin that I read someplace that
- The manufacturing process for tires uses a lapped seam.
- That the side of the tire with the seam is where the label is.
- That the side with the seam in a skosh heavier than the opposite side.
- That the label should go opposite the valve as some degree of counterbalance to the weight of the stem.

Now to see whether there is any substance to this or not...

Barnett's said exactly nothing about it...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Percy said:

:stupid:

Plus tt just looks better and I'm a big vain metro.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Percy said:

This is why the Christchurch Bandit stole your bike instead of mine.

MD

PS I'm just jealous because I've barely ridden since we last met...
God, I wish there was a mountain around here somewhere.